• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone's 240 series rudder corrode and lock?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My brother has a friend with a 2019 240 and he was having difficulty turning there steering wheel. Took it to the dealer and they told him the rudder had corrosion and needed cleaning and lubing (fixed the issue).

Anyone seen this before?

IMG_4201.jpg

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is his boat kept in a slip at a marina with shore power? How can a new boat have corrosion, in that location, that hinders turning the steering wheel unless it has help. Just wondering. It looks like corrosion on bare aluminum at the hinge where there was no anodizing or at the heim joint. But it is covered up by the spray lube.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like white lithium grease. I take it he's in salt water? @zipper could be on to something with the shore power. Somebody should check for power leaks from the shore power supply.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess if the issue is gone it's hard to argue about but sounds like a bunch of made up excuses and a shoddy repair from a dealer, that looks like a half assed job that I would have done,

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the articulating keel is the problem /root cause of hard steering than releasing the AK bolt should free the steering. I have never heard of the AK being an issue with steering, yet. It is usually the cables...

EDIT: I will say though I tend to spray those parts very aggressively with CRC656 or similar. Whenever I have access - with the boat on trailer.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So after reading the post over you say the cleaning FIXED THE PROBLEM. Never heard of this happening before. Probably better off coating the parts with bees wax.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My steering was a little stiff upon returning to my boat after the summer, stored on the boat lift for around five months.
Soon freed but I very much doubt my keel could have that effect:rolleyes:.

Pascal Testeil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you all for your feedback, I am the owner of the boat which have this issue and I am now a member of this forum on Julian brother advice. The rudder axe was seriously corroded after 39h of use. Boat stays on a lift in fresh water with access to salt water through a lock system and has been rinsed regularly. The current repair is just temporary for us to use the boat during Thanksgiving weekend and will be fully replaced later on under the warranty. Cycle Springs service Yamaha dealer in Oldsmar FL has been good in dealing with the defect/issue. Good team.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Pascal Testeil we are glad to have you on board, I'm not sure how mechanical you are but an easy check to help isolate would have been to unhook the steering rods at the jet pump, only 1 bolt/nut to remove the rod, then you could spin the wheel and move the jets with your hand to see where the problem is,

most of us are skeptical of the dealers from the stories we hear, I understand it's under warranty ,very corroded and it's easy to let them deal with it but it's an easy trouble shoot if you don't want to loose the boat for service time,

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you all for your feedback, I am the owner of the boat which have this issue and I am now a member of this forum on Julian brother advice. The rudder axe was seriously corroded after 39h of use. Boat stays on a lift in fresh water with access to salt water through a lock system and has been rinsed regularly. The current repair is just temporary for us to use the boat during Thanksgiving weekend and will be fully replaced later on under the warranty. Cycle Springs service Yamaha dealer in Oldsmar FL has been good in dealing with the defect/issue. Good team.
Welcome @Pascal Testeil ! Cycle Springs are a great dealer, I've visited there a few times and members here have posted positive things about them! We will be interested to hear what they say after taking it off...bad bushings?

You going to come to Bimini with us next year???