• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR195 Build Mods

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So today was my first time out with the new Thrust Vector Wake and this is my experience.

The boat had great slow speed handling in forward and reverse. The TVW did knock down the get spray a little bit but still sprayed my daughter using a 60’ tow rope at about 25 mph and up. While wake surfing it did appear to clean up the wake a little bit however we had a boat full of people and I didn’t fill my ballast bags this time.

Now I did experience one main issue and I believe it has to do with the Lucky 13 cone and running all 3 spacers. At high speeds I experienced very very stiff steering. I was barely able to turn the steering wheel and I believe it’s due to the additional thrust from the Lucky 13 cone.

I’m going to try and go out again tomorrow, this time without any spacers installed and see if the steering improves.

Keep in mind: I checked everything before going out. I made sure fins came up without interference and hit both bump stops. I also aligned the height according to the included gauge for my model year. I made sure the reverse gate moved correctly and turned side to side without issue.
Did you reinstall the Cobra’s? Do Cobra’s help in plaining at surfing speeds at all or is the only solution an L13?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you reinstall the Cobra’s? Do Cobra’s help in plaining at surfing speeds at all or is the only solution an L13?
Yeah I sent my TVW back after using it only twice and the bolts bent. So I want back to a system that I knew would work. I’m very happy with the CJS Vipers and L13 cone. The L13 cone is the best mode to help get you on plan.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I sent my TVW back after using it only twice and the bolts bent. So I want back to a system that I knew would work. I’m very happy with the CJS Vipers and L13 cone. The L13 cone is the best mode to help get you on plan.
Glad to hear the CJS Vipers work well. I'm 50% thru my 3rd season and am just now considering a set of fins. These are the simplest design out there, and I'm a big fan of the KISS principle (part of the reason I own a boat with a jet drive).

Also, had 8 people (4 adults 4 kids) on the boat yesterday with 3 LARGE coolers (one filled the floor between the rear seats). Even with the largest adults in the back seats (using cooler as footrest/lounge), and pulling a tube with 3 kids on it.....I could easily hammer the throttle from a stop and get on plane without issue. had zero cavitation or rev spikes. Came up to about 7100rpm, then hung there until on plane and slowly crept to 7300rpm once on plane, where I throttled back to ~6200rpm to maintain a 20-22mph speed for the tubers........I'm really pleased with the L13, not so much for any real performance increase, but for the CONSISTENCY that it provides when boating. The engine/drive reacts exactly the same wether I'm lightly or heavily loaded. It just always works now, which takes some worry about loading, seating, activities, gear, etc out of the picture. Just load what we have and go, the boat will work just fine.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the CJS Viper and just installed the L13 on a 2017 AR195. Cavitation is down by over 75 percent but steering has seemed to change. At around half throttle to 3/4 throttle the boat becomes very hard to turn. I have to back the throttle down or push it full to get it turn. Overall I'm happy with the L13 for the loss of cavitation as it was pretty severe when wakeboarding on a fully loaded boat before the L13. I dont mind using the throttle to get the boat to turn.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the CJS Viper and just installed the L13 on a 2017 AR195. Cavitation is down by over 75 percent but steering has seemed to change. At around half throttle to 3/4 throttle the boat becomes very hard to turn. I have to back the throttle down or push it full to get it turn. Overall I'm happy with the L13 for the loss of cavitation as it was pretty severe when wakeboarding on a fully loaded boat before the L13. I dont mind using the throttle to get the boat to turn.
Does the steering become easier/smoother(?) again at WOT?
I would check if steering and throttle cables move smoothly in those ranges on a trailer or lift, out of water.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the steering become easier/smoother(?) again at WOT?
I would check if steering and throttle cables move smoothly in those ranges on a trailer or lift, out of water.

Yeah WOT or below half there's no issues. I think somone else had a similar review. I don't think there's anything wrong, its probably acting like a like a jet boat should. I much rather have this slight issue than cavitation lol. I'll check on the steering though. Thanks

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
With the CJS Vipers, yes you will have slightly stiffer steering as you now have 2 additional fins in the water at all time. I have never had to let off the throttle though in high speed turns.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yeah WOT or below half there's no issues. I think somone else had a similar review. I don't think there's anything wrong, its probably acting like a like a jet boat should. I much rather have this slight issue than cavitation lol. I'll check on the steering though. Thanks
This is not normal. Hopefully @Cobra Jet Steering LLC will help you. They may need to be tweaked a little.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have no idea about the L-13 cone never used one. I can speculate but that is all it would be. Several things can cause steering resistance bad cable , lack of play at the nozzle pivot points, fins in the water holding the nozzle straight and thrust holding the nozzle straight.
When you turn at high speed you are redirecting the jet thrust and it does not want you to do that so it tries to keep the nozzle in a straight line. Based on the post I would say the cone was implemented to get more thrust and it was successful so now you feel it more in the steering when you get to the top end of the thrust range.
Vipers are not adjustable so you may want to go to a system that has adjustments etc. Like the super ultimate or super magnum .

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have no idea about the L-13 cone never used one. I can speculate but that is all it would be. Several things can cause steering resistance bad cable , lack of play at the nozzle pivot points, fins in the water holding the nozzle straight and thrust holding the nozzle straight.
When you turn at high speed you are redirecting the jet thrust and it does not want you to do that so it tries to keep the nozzle in a straight line. Based on the post I would say the cone was implemented to get more thrust and it was successful so now you feel it more in the steering when you get to the top end of the thrust range.
Vipers are not adjustable so you may want to go to a system that has adjustments etc. Like the super ultimate or super magnum .
Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. Not a huge deal for me.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on the post I would say the cone was implemented to get more thrust and it was successful so now you feel it more in the steering when you get to the top end of the thrust range.
Absolutely, but the steering resistance he feels at 3/4 throttle would not be less at WOT, which is what I find a bit confusing.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Check fin alignment, check the bottom nozzle spacer and large thin washer that is supposed to spin freely around it if those are ok then I have no other guess.
Usually something is done differently or changed and a side effect of that shows up immediately it is usually a result of what was done last.
Or just a coincidence not a lot of faith on the last one though but a slight possibility if the parts were removed to do the other mod maybe something is not on the same way it was prior to the mod.

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Helm cup holder

Cost: cup holder $9.44 + shipping, hole bit = $15.95

Website: cup holder #17: 2017 Yamaha AR195 (RP1800AS) Hull Deck Fittings | Yamaha Sports Plaza
Website: hole bite: Amazon.com: Milwaukee 49-56-0187 3-3/8-Inch Ice Hardened Hole Saw: Home Improvement
Reasoning: the side helm cup holder are difficult to access while cruising or if the seat is turned while anchored.
View attachment 89503View attachment 89504
I have a 2018 SX195... I noticed a couple of things on your boat. First, great job adding the storage door. I want to do this to but I'm worried about splittering the gel coat. What did you use to cut it out? Jig saw? what type of blade? Also, did you add the radio remote seen here in the picture? I want to do this too. Can't get the wife to change and control the radio like she should. Thanks for any advise.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just got my head unit today. $37 brand new. No screws. What size do I use and where did you run the cable?
I don’t remember what size the screws are. I took the unit to the hardware store with me. As for the cable I ran it through a hole into the ski locker and drilled little holes and zipped tied it to the lip of the ski locker and through a hole on helm.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just saw this post. I used a Ryobi multi tool with a semi circle bit. Just take your time, make a template and tape everything. I didn’t have any issues. 248F1C51-CD5D-426A-85C4-BA0EAB4A7E96.png

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's been a while since I posted or bought anything for the boat between a surgery for the dog and peanut allergy therapy for my daughter, the boat has been put on the back burner. I did pick up a new toy for Christmas

Optima Digital 1200 12v Performance Battery Charger and Maintainer

1. Cost $199.99
  2. Website: Amazon
  3. Reasoning: Last season I picked up a blue top Optima deep cycle battery and wanted a deep cycle battery charger as I tend to play the stereo for 2-4 hours while anchored or at the sand bar. So far very impressed with the charger and the maintainer leads so I can charger while the battery is still in the boat.
Charger.JPG

LakeTravisBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you do all the same engine mods you did on your AR195 on an AR190? I am about to buy all these add one if so.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes there would just be different parts between the 195 SVHO motor and the 190 SHO motor.