• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2014-June 22

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Adding a few more details to this (@upperdeck) feel free to copy any of this to your post.

Upperdeck and Justason are the experienced leaders on this trip.

So far everyone in the group is staying in the condos at http://www.biminisands.com on South Bimini.

http://www.biggameclubbimini.com on North Bimini has single rooms for around $100 a night less.

We will have a dinner meeting at the http://www.bahiamarhotel.com the night of June 22nd. Then depart the next morning. We need to arrange for slips in the Bahia Mar marina (@upperdeck can your provide details)?

Based on prior trips we expect a 210 / 212 / 230 or 240 to burn 25 to 35 gallons each direction on the 59 mile crossing between Fort Lauderdale and Bimini. Everyone should begin the trip with a full tank in both directions. Fuel on Bimini is around $6 a gallon.

Depending on the weather and the currents the trip from Bahia Mar to Bimini may be smooth or rough. Most likely it will be somewhat rough. If it is unsafe then we will have to wait for better water to cross.

Justason has setup for Bimimi customs to be at Bimini Sands to greet us upon our arrival. This will save all the hassle of going to North Bimini, finding a place to dock and the walking to the customs office. Upon arrival only one person can leave your boat, and only to meet the customs official, until customs has cleared your boat. We also need to fly a yellow customs flag, or t shirt or towel until we have cleared customs.

Most groups are bringing sufficient food to feed themselves for the duration of the trip. Eating out in Bimini is expensive. Rum is cheap and beer is expensive in Bimini.

There are lots of places to snorkel and fish in the vicinity of Bimini Sands. Bimini Road is NE of North Bimini. The
SS Sapona is another favorite place to hang out. Someone on last years trip visited Honeymoon Harbour twice.

I bought these Bimini Islands Bahamas Dive Map & Reef Creatures Guide - Laminated Fish Card for my kids and they love them.

Here are some maps of the trip over, click on the thumbnails and they open up.

IMG_4189.jpg IMG_4192.jpg IMG_4191.jpg IMG_4188.jpg IMG_4190.jpg

This is the infinity pool at Bimini Sands!

And this is Bimini Sands from the air

The docks at Bimini Sands are floating so tidal changes will not be a concern while docked.

This is the entrance to Bimini Sands

Could you guys that have been before add any information about the costs?

Thanks

Last edited:

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Bahiamarhotel.com had listed the marina's phone number on their website, but it appears to have been removed.

I have their number as 800.755.9558 and the rate I was quoted was 1.85/ft with no minimum. Their docks also float so no worries about the tide. You can also hail the dockmaster on channel 16. The smaller slips are to the far east of the marina, near the fishing boats for hire. Head towards the big paddle boat and turn left...

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Also, time permitting, we have had lunch or an early dinner at The Pirate Republic, piraterepublicbar.com in the past years.

It's easy to find, and a nice ride up the river and through the downtown area. Food and atmosphere are awesome!

Last year the Bahia Mar Hotel did not make a meeting room available to us even though we requested it. It wasn't a big deal since we were only four boats strong. This year, with more boats, we will need a larger venue. If one is unavailable, perhaps a social hour at the bar would suffice, with the captains gathering to discuss details.

This is obviously still being planned, stay tuned!

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Pirate Republic looks good to me!

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our plan is to eat at the condo for most breakfast and lunches. Then eat out for dinner every night. We enjoy the eating on the water experience and know we are going to pay for it. Its not that often that we get to have ocean front dinners, so we are pretty excited about that. Plus we don't want to fool with cooking when we should be outside enjoying the scenery! We are up for company, so anyone that wants to join us eating come on, the more the merrier.

I cannot wait to be drinking a beer (or 5) sweating my butt off in Bimini!!! Winter sucks

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
There aren't a ton of places like that to eat on Bimini. The Bimini Twist has an ocean view on the southern most side of South Bimini. The Big Game club has a marina view and overlooks the flats of the east side of North Bimini. You may also find some places to eat at Bimini Bay on the north end of North Bimini.

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just booked my slip at the Bahia Mar Hotel and I was quoted $1.50/ft with a 40ft minimum. She did state that the summer rates have not been posted yet and that this was an estimate. I got an email back telling me to call to make the reservation when I emailed them via their website. The number I called was 954-627-6309 (I asked about group rates but they don't do that).

If anyone gets the $1.85 with no minimum footage for this trip, let me know and I will call back.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We are probably in for the Pig Roast. My crew expressed that they didnt want to do "everything" on the boat so I have a feeling we will be doing some driving and walking around. In the YJB thread we talked about getting together for a tie up, not sure if this is in addition to, or instead of that.

I have a grill on the boat that can provide some hot meals. If we can get a list of group events put together it would be easy to plan for supplies. Currently I plan on packing 3 containers of propane. If we do a cookout I might need a 4th or 5th.

I would like to do some scuba, but that is dependent of whether I can take my PADI before the trip. I have a lot of things to purchase before we leave and it's pretty low on my list. I think doing the pig roast on the 2nd day would be best.

RE: the captains meeting and the early dinner at pirate repbulic, I must say I am enticed but I'm not sure how my crew would feel when we get there. So I will put a tentative on that event.

Regarding the captains meeting.... My GF has quite the Hilton Honors status. Im going to call and see if we can get group rate and meeting room... stand by...

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just booked my slip at the Bahia Mar Hotel and I was quoted $1.50/ft with a 40ft minimum. She did state that the summer rates have not been posted yet and that this was an estimate. I got an email back telling me to call to make the reservation when I emailed them via their website. The number I called was 954-627-6309 (I asked about group rates but they don't do that).

If anyone gets the $1.85 with no minimum footage for this trip, let me know and I will call back.
That is NOT what I was quoted at Bahia Mar. So, I just called to confirm. She said that the summer rate is now $1.50/ft with NO minimum.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We are probably in for the Pig Roast. My crew expressed that they didnt want to do "everything" on the boat so I have a feeling we will be doing some driving and walking around. In the YJB thread we talked about getting together for a tie up, not sure if this is in addition to, or instead of that.

I have a grill on the boat that can provide some hot meals. If we can get a list of group events put together it would be easy to plan for supplies. Currently I plan on packing 3 containers of propane. If we do a cookout I might need a 4th or 5th.

I would like to do some scuba, but that is dependent of whether I can take my PADI before the trip. I have a lot of things to purchase before we leave and it's pretty low on my list. I think doing the pig roast on the 2nd day would be best.

RE: the captains meeting and the early dinner at pirate repbulic, I must say I am enticed but I'm not sure how my crew would feel when we get there. So I will put a tentative on that event.

Regarding the captains meeting.... My GF has quite the Hilton Honors status. Im going to call and see if we can get group rate and meeting room... stand by...
Hi Rob !

last year on a rainy day we went to North Bimini and rented golf carts.......I wasn't as successful getting it on two wheel s as my son was...but it was a good run up/down the island. !! there is a shark lab approx 3/4 a mile walk to the south from bimini sands you can tour.....

As for your PADI......I raced to get my/my wife's card reprinted ....in the end we were never asked for it, nor was it a concern......this gets back to "island time/lifestyle". as an FYI: i rented 4 tanks, 2 BCs, 2 regulators....I think I dropped about $100..there may have been a Tshirt purchase in there somewhere......

Attachments

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hi Rob !

last year on a rainy day we went to North Bimini and rented golf carts.......I wasn't as successful getting it on two wheel s as my son was...but it was a good run up/down the island. !! there is a shark lab approx 3/4 a mile walk to the south from bimini sands you can tour.....

As for your PADI......I raced to get my/my wife's card reprinted ....in the end we were never asked for it, nor was it a concern......this gets back to "island time/lifestyle". as an FYI: i rented 4 tanks, 2 BCs, 2 regulators....I think I dropped about $100..there may have been a Tshirt purchase in there somewhere......
Thanks! I want to do the PADI for my own sake, I prefer to be trained vs. untrained.

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is NOT what I was quoted at Bahia Mar. So, I just called to confirm. She said that the summer rate is now $1.50/ft with NO minimum.
Thanks upperdeck, I just called back and it is $1.50 with no minimum. So maybe I just heard her wrong...... regardless I am booked everywhere and waiting, impatiently.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Im waiting for a call back from the Sales Manager but an initial quote online with a meeting room for 13 rooms looks like this:

Guest Rooms
Make Changes Number of Rooms Total Cost per Night
Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 13 rooms total 1,195.00 USD

Estimated Guest Rooms Total: 1,195.00 USD

Additional taxes, gratuity and service fees may apply.

Meeting Room
Make Changes Daily Room Total
Seafarer Room
Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 250.00 USD

Estimated Meeting Room Total: 250.00 USD

All meeting room rates exclude taxes and service fees.

Will my credit card be charged the total amount?
Your credit card will not be charged at this time.

Below, you may choose to pay for all rooms at once, or to have your travelers pay their own costs. The hotel may require a small deposit for your meeting space.

For more information, view our Frequently Asked Questions about booking your Group online.

Total e-Events Estimate: 1,445.00 USD

I will talk to the Sales Manager when she calls back and see if I can work the price lower since we need slips too... (Slips are not included in this price)

At $1445 it works out to $120 per boat for room and meeting room... (12 boats) (I know we will probably need more rooms....) Looks like each additional room is going to $95. (Above quote has 3 rooms at $85 and 10 at $95. All two double beds, they only have 3 rooms @$85 avail online)

DoubleTrouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It's a good thing we are heading to Hawaii in a few weeks or I might have caved in and bought some plane tickets to meet all of you in Bimini.
It's a good thing transport costs are so high on my cruiser or I'd be towing it down there to join you. Or maybe I just sell it, buy a new Yammie and come anyway... ROFL Those were awesome. The beautiful "scenery" was great! The Bimini stuff was good too... :p

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok just talked to Talea in group sales and she quoted me $119 for the Tower Direct Oceanview rooms (each). ($10 discount) Those are the only rooms they do group gatherings for. There is a 30 day cancellation period for them vs. the 21 day if you just book online. In those rooms you can get King or 2 Double beds.

There are no group discounts for slips and we can reserve the Harbor Lights meeting room for $200. I told them 7 - 8:30PM on Sunday.

Let me know how you guys feel about either the online quote above or this option through group sales. There are two buildings, Marina and Tower. If we do it through Talea we will all be in the Tower. (Where the meeting room is)

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I already have my room booked, so I guess it will depend on whether I can change it for free. ($125 for the night + tax, etc). As far as the conference room.... I would make sure every single boat is interested in chipping in before you book. If there are 11 boats that's around $20 a piece after tax, etc. So it's not a big deal but everyone needs to agree upfront to split the cost equally. I am in if everyone else is.

Is there a big lobby area, or an outside area we can gather together at for free?

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I dont believe we have all of the group members signed on this site. So I will sit on this until everyone chimes in. I'm in on both accounts (the group rate + meeting room)

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am already booked in the building closest to the marina, not as far to drag my gear. There's a few tables we can drag together in the bar, that's what we did last year. People can mingle while the captains discuss. It will be a short meeting anyway!

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
i have my room booked already but i’m good with what everyone decides