• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini June 23-28 2019

Y242limitedS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A two hour crossing is a smooth crossing.

Two foot chop is likely to be a three to five hour crossing. If the forecast is more than 2’ or the wind is more than 10 mph I would consider changing your crossing day.

It may be as late as March before we know if Bimini Sands is returning to sanity or not. All the groups that have used Bimini Sands in past years are either in limbo waiting or booking other destinations.
Can you tell me if there is thread for joining a group going in June or July. I just heard about this trip while at my boat show.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you tell me if there is thread for joining a group going in June or July. I just heard about this trip while at my boat show.
The resort we stay at is in chaos.

Small groups may form to go elsewhere but we do not have any option to host large groups in Bimini this year.

I hear from the resort weekly and sometimes daily. If the situation improves that is unlikely to be before march.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully things can pull together! My wife and I were looking forward to this trip in the near future!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully things can pull together! My wife and I were looking forward to this trip in the near future!
It does not seem that you should be holding your breath for 2019. :(
If I were you, I will be preparing for 2020 as the 190 crossing can be rough. It is not as nice as JJ squared makes look like.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would probably be crossing with a buddy and she would fly over. She can handle some river chop but she hasn't been in the ocean yet. That will change a bit this year so we shall see what her reaction is to that but I still think the easiest for her would be a fly over trip. It would be looking ahead 2020 or beyond as we already have some vacation planned for 2019.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This thread is about a guy going in June, I don't know how many are going with him, but we may be.

Dave Biel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yeah I’m going June 23-28, with a day or 2 on either side as a buffer. I already booked 3 condos through VRBO at Bimini Sands, for better or worse. I have a 2019 AR 195, I have at least 3 other boats that are highly interested, not from this forum. We’ll see who actually pulls the trigger. Just throwing it out there for anyone who may want to cross together. As I stated in the OP, I have plenty of saltwater experience in both Jetboats and Outboards, but have never crossed the Gulf Stream.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah I’m going June 23-28, with a day or 2 on either side as a buffer. I already booked 3 condos through VRBO at Bimini Sands, for better or worse. I have a 2019 AR 195, I have at least 3 other boats that are highly interested, not from this forum. We’ll see who actually pulls the trigger. Just throwing it out there for anyone who may want to cross together. As I stated in the OP, I have plenty of saltwater experience in both Jetboats and Outboards, but have never crossed the Gulf Stream.
Hope all works out great for you guys.
Please take some time to look at prep for Bimini threat in terms of fuel requirements etc. I also hear that the marina is shambles at BS, so you might need to get some sort of confirmation on place to dock.

Note to @Sbrown: I am not trying to be a naysayer or discouraging, just mentioning a couple of things. Hope you give me a pass this time.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are rumors of a sale of the common areas of Bimini Sands. Last week it was rumored that an American had bought Roberts out. This week the rumor is that an Italian company has. Even if there was a buyout today it would take a year or more to correct the damage. Additionally my understanding is that an international buyer will require Bahamian Government approval which would delay the process. I have been hearing rumors of buyouts for months but nothing is confirmed. The only solid indication of potential change is newspaper filings to establish deeds on some of the property.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi! Is there still room left to go? I'm very interested?

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hope all works out great for you guys.
Please take some time to look at prep for Bimini threat in terms of fuel requirements etc. I also hear that the marina is shambles at BS, so you might need to get some sort of confirmation on place to dock.
I am not trying to be a naysayer or discouraging, just mentioning a couple of things. Hope you give me a pass this time.

STOP being a Negative Nancy!!!!!!!!

Dave Biel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi! Is there still room left to go? I'm very interested?
I’m not really taking the lead to plan for a whole group. Just letting people know if they wanted to cross with a buddy boat. If you’re interested I would encourage you to check out accommodations and docks. If you’ve read this and other posts Bimini Sands is having issues, but I’m willing to be the guinie pig and will report back on the epic time me and the family had.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There are rumors of a sale of the common areas of Bimini Sands. Last week it was rumored that an American had bought Roberts out. This week the rumor is that an Italian company has. Even if there was a buyout today it would take a year or more to correct the damage. Additionally my understanding is that an international buyer will require Bahamian Government approval which would delay the process. I have been hearing rumors of buyouts for months but nothing is confirmed. The only solid indication of potential change is newspaper filings to establish deeds on some of the property.
This whole thing just sucks. I've pretty much just given up trying to go this year. maybe I'll be able to make a spur of the moment decision once the trips start happening???

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This whole thing just sucks. I've pretty much just given up trying to go this year. maybe I'll be able to make a spur of the moment decision once the trips start happening???
Don't do that you never know what could happen from year to year if you have the availability and desire to do it this year plan it. I promise its not worth waiting to do this nothing is going to change next year in Bimini that is going to make your experience so much better that you will regret doing it this year I promise.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unless something changes I would not recommend staying at Bimini Sands in 2019. At best it will a struggling resort trying to rebuild at worst it will remain a belligerent environment where intentional sabotage will continue.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@Bruce Maybe a stupid question but, what about the other islands in the Bahamas? Anything worth going too (with our boats)?

Last year we took a weekend cruise to Freeport. Short getaway. Beautiful!!!!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce Maybe a stupid question but, what about the other islands in the Bahamas? Anything worth going too (with our boats)?

Last year we took a weekend cruise to Freeport. Short getaway. Beautiful!!!!
West End is the closest. I was discussing a group rate at Old Bahama Bay but the developer chained off the marina.

The unfortunate reality is that Bimini Sands has a unique combination of size, amenities and proximity but is unlikely to be a good option in 2019.

Going further with a group of new stream crosses is likely to be an unpleasant experience. Most first time crossers are exhausted and stressed from a good crossing.

Small groups to Big Game Club and Blue Water are likely to be the best option for 2019.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Small groups to Big Game Club and Blue Water are likely to be the best option for 2019.
West End is 10 miles further (~30 minutes). Blue Water Resort is permanently closed (according to their website)?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Blue Water Resort is permanently closed (according to their website)?
If Bimini Blue Water closed so would the rest of the marinas in N Bimini.

I was not aware of Bimini Blue Water having a website. They are the only fuel dock on North Bimini, have motel like accommodations and a nice restaurant where Hemingway used to hang out.

They do have a little bit of a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bimini-Blue-Water-Marina

A West End crossing would be from West Palm.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Oh, my bad. Different place. Was looking at the BW Resort (different island too).

Do you typically go at that time of the year waiting for kids to get out of school? Just wondering cause the winds would be better March thru May.