• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Both Engines Limited to 9,000 RPM, WHY?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think if the impellers were a diff pitch it would still hit the rpms just not the speed. It is a ho correct? Didn't I read that it will hit 9000rpms on three cylinders. Even though I find it hard to believe that both motors are running on 3.
An impeller's pitch, particularly the trailing edge angle, will determine the max RPM (for any given engine/pump).
If those impellers are different make/model and /or pitch than OEM, all bets are off.
Same as regular props, really, except an impeller will have a set blade diameter, but the pitch will determine RPM.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could altitude be a factor here?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would think if the impellers were a diff pitch it would still hit the rpms just not the speed. It is a ho correct? Didn't I read that it will hit 9000rpms on three cylinders. Even though I find it hard to believe that both motors are running on 3.
An over pitched impeller will provide greater acceleration at the low end but will consume all the available torque before the engine reaches max RPM.

An under pitched or damaged impeller will move less water per RPM allowing the engine to reach max RPM earlier than expected while producing a lower top speed.

Changing the pitch of the impeller can increase top of bottom end. Changing the design of the impeller can increase of decrease both.

It is likely that he has impellers that need to be depitched to bring RPM and top speed closer to expected. This often happens when owners switch to aftermarket impellers.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There are no markings on the engine or side of the boat that indicate HO. But, the recent Yamaha tech (works on jet skis not the boats) swore that it's an HO because the intakes have horn like adapters with the screens on top of them. I really don't know what I have. I don't know Yamaha's markings in 2005. I can take some pictures of the engines to post.

The Arizona Desert lakes are at maybe 1,300 to 1,400 feet. Altitude is definitely not the issue.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There should be a data plate low on the front of the engine compartment lid. Each engine should have a plate underneath near the starter.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pulling the pumps should be easy. The first time I pulled mine I had to gently use the pry points that are built into the pump housings. It has come off easily ever since. Make sure to apply moly grease to the spline before reassembly and use thread sealant on the bolts. Adding a little RTV between the pump sections is a nice touch. I also grease all of the steering and reverse parts when reassembling.

Once you have them apart post pictures of the impellers and the part numbers found on them.

This video documents the pump removal well.

Dieselpwr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
High Output boats say High Output on each tachometer.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
BTW: the response and advice on this forum is light years better than the other one. I'm feeling the love. :winkingthumbsup"
We pride ourselves in the speed we dive in on issues like this! If you are on the water and need help, start a new thread and put the @ symbol and the word "help" in the body of the post and it notifies those via their preferred alert mechanism and we have an average 4 minute reply time! Now that is AWESOME!

Post up some pick of the impellers once you have them out...but after market impellers is a likely culprit. If they overfilled the oil and you've not removed it down to the right level it is possible your plugs are fouled again. These engines are VERY sensitive to fouled plugs....

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went to the storage lot and shot a few pics. The tach's don't say HO. Note the year of manufacturer and the gate positions at WOT. These engines only have about 115 hours on them. It will be a few days, maybe a week, before I can pull the impeller apart. I'll send more pics. I have some mechanical skills and hate spending big bucks with a dealer giving me the run around. And, yes that's a custom aluminum trailer I had built for it.
IMG_2227.JPG IMG_2226.JPG IMG_2213.JPG IMG_2214.JPG IMG_2218.JPG IMG_2220.JPG IMG_2221.JPG IMG_2215.JPG

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SRT1000BD is a normal MR-1 boat, not a High Output. The high output versions start with SRT1100.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This review documented 48.1 MPH @ 10,000 RPM for your model in new condition http://www.boattest.com/oem/403/boats/663/0/on/640x360

I am sticking with the theory that you have over pitched impellers.

Your impellers should be

Impeller STBD 16.3 DEGREES 68N-R1321-10-00
Impeller PORT 17.3 DEGREES 6B5-R1321-00-00

I would not be surprised if someone installed HO impellers that are more aggressively pitched.

Dieselpwr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those are the non high output 140hp motors.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This review documented 48.1 MPH @ 10,000 RPM for your model in new condition http://www.boattest.com/oem/403/boats/663/0/on/640x360

I am sticking with the theory that you have over pitched impellers.

Your impellers should be

Impeller STBD 16.3 DEGREES 68N-R1321-10-00
Impeller PORT 17.3 DEGREES 6B5-R1321-00-00

I would not be surprised if someone installed HO impellers that are more aggressively pitched.
Interesting that the non HO is reviewed at 48.1 mph. My newer HO might get that on a good day. I think I've sniffed 49 before, but I'm a little surprised at that speed.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Tearing down the pumps and inspecting the impellers will be the next project. Bruce, you've given me a lot of great information to work from. I should probably repack or replace bearings as long as I'm taking the pumps apart. Any good threads for that process would helpful. As soon as I have more pump info I will be back to this thread.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tearing down the pumps and inspecting the impellers will be the next project. Bruce, you've given me a lot of great information to work from. I should probably repack or replace bearings as long as I'm taking the pumps apart. Any good threads for that process would helpful. As soon as I have more pump info I will be back to this thread.
@Bruce great info!

However, the engine sticker says 95.6kW which is roughly an equivalent of 128 ponies. And the engine was built is 04, may be not the exact model tested by boattest?
Possibly this is yet another version of the MR-1 :confused:? Just a bit shy of 140 (which would correspond to 104kW) -- and that might explain the RPM right there.

I bet you the impellers are stock. ;)

--