• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bought a New Sound System-Selling Polk Tower Speakers

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My sound bar always faces forward.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also have M880s on swivel mounts I can point to the bow.
That may actually be the best idea...!

Do you guys know if WS offers swivel mounts for the ICON8 tower enclosures that would be reliable and easy/quick to use?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski

Good idea on adding the info to my Sig, I will do that over the weekend.

Here is a thread that shows the most recent upgrades....I did mine in phases, started with 6 MX650s, wasnt loud enough, and Wife didnt want more than a pair of tower speakers so in speaking with JL tech support, the M770s with a TON of power was my best alternative, and with 200rm to each they SCREAM...thats almost as muich as some have to their subs and it is STUPID CLEAN, my buddy even teased my Wife asking if it was loud enough, lol.....IT IS!

This link has a link to my original build as well.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/upgrade-to-jl-m770s-phase-4.17722/

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The original post has been edited. Check it out and let me know if your interested in the Tower speakers.

Dan Berwtz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it sold or not? If still availble text me at 941-416-5555 with pics and ill buy

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is it sold or not? If still availble text me at 941-416-5555 with pics and ill buy
Only thing I have left is the 6 cabin speakers, sub, and amps

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got my JL MX650s today! - want to try those in the bow - to replace a pair of Polk DB651s I have there. Currently that is my last (and only) complain about my system - not enough juice in the bow.
These JLs seem like VERY well made speakers, really exude high quality.
Hope that will conclude my quest for good sound, we will see.
upload_2018-10-12_23-35-2.png

--

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice... @swatski I think youve mentioned wanting to get the JLMX650S in the past...when will u install them.

What prompted u to swap out the polks, theyre a great bang for buck.

The JLs should sound great!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice... @swatski I think youve mentioned wanting to get the JLMX650S in the past...when will u install them.

What prompted u to swap out the polks, theyre a great bang for buck.

The JLs should sound great!
The main (and actually the only) push for that swap is to get more sound volume in the bow, currently an "under served" area of my boat from the sound volume perspective.

And it so happens that my teen daughters (and all their friends) simply love to congregate there, in the bow, usually with the filler cushions in - it's their favorite spot but also the least loud with my current sound system configuration (I run ten Polk DB561s in the boat and swim deck and two tower WS ICON8s - pushed by 2 clarion xc1410 and an WS HT-2). Works perfect... if not for the darned bow!

I love the DBs for their balance and musicality but those are not definitely not the loudest. With only two in the bow, they need help. And with my currently handicapped boat mod budget... I had to get creative...

I figured simply swapping the DB561s in the bow with their much louder JL counterparts MX650s should help. The rest of the boat is in perfect harmony, so hopefully this is the last of it... at least for a while.

Yeah, I have finally succumbed to JL awesomeness, lol, and not in small part due to your postings. So - Thanks for your excellent write-ups!
Hopefully those will be mounted/installed today - right after my daughter's swim meet, and if i can find my indispensable soldering gun, lol.

--

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yeah, I was in the same boat (still kinda am) with getting more sound in the bow, seen a couple neat options but not sure if I'm gonna follow suite.

I'm actually content now (finally) that I have the M770s up there, but wouldn't mind squeezing in another pair of say M650s in the front, but not sure if its even worth it. So far JL Tech, Odin @ Earmark and my installer in Havasu all said leave it as is and keep those channels open on the 600/6.

I have one idea that I think would create a amazing solution but would take some bold cutting. BUT I think it could be done. I put my hand back there and it felt open, and since its flat you can add a backing ring and some sound deadener to stiffen it up. I think if I use a spacer it would definitely work.

Here's my illustration, but I think it solves all issues in terms of keeping the music in the bow, up high and nearly on plane with the other speaker up there. If it is feasible this is the direction I am going to go since I think it would essentially double the output in the bow with not a lot of fabrication, at least in my mind it would work that way, lol.

Screenshot_20181013-115959_Gallery.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yeah, I was in the same boat (still kinda am) with getting more sound in the bow, seen a couple neat options but not sure if I'm gonna follow suite.

I'm actually content now (finally) that I have the M770s up there, but wouldn't mind squeezing in another pair of say M650s in the front, but not sure if its even worth it. So far JL Tech, Odin @ Earmark and my installer in Havasu all said leave it as is and keep those channels open on the 600/6.

I have one idea that I think would create a amazing solution but would take some bold cutting. BUT I think it could be done. I put my hand back there and it felt open, and since its flat you can add a backing ring and some sound deadener to stiffen it up. I think if I use a spacer it would definitely work.

Here's my illustration, but I think it solves all issues in terms of keeping the music in the bow, up high and nearly on plane with the other speaker up there. If it is feasible this is the direction I am going to go since I think it would essentially double the output in the bow with not a lot of fabrication, at least in my mind it would work that way, lol.

View attachment 84324
I agree - that is probably the best solution - in your drawing/idea.

I considered the bulkheads/wall of the storage compartments there, but my kids like the filler cushions which would kill the efficiency. On the other hand speakers mounted in the anchor locker wall, like @Drift Away did, would still project some sound back - into the cockpit - and I can not have it, sound is already WAY too loud in the cockpit when I crank the volume to get more sound in the bow (bow and cockpit is the same zone on my WS420...).

--

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not in a rush, but wouldnt mind seeing if the template to the M650s is available to see if its even enough room.

If so and I get boared in the future that's my likely route...anyone else out there bold enough to try it please post pics and measurements!!

Now thats the one thing i like about the JL amps that prevented me from grabbing the WS420, was being able to use the RLCs to adjust the sound by desired channel. I have them on my tower and subs, but you can use them in various configurations to dial in the levels in the zones, minus the talkback feature.

Edit:so if you grab a 4/6 channel JL you can use the RLC to turn down the cabin speakers when they wanna bump up front...or cant u swap the zones, assuming theres 3?

Attachments

Last edited: