• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bought a used 2008 SX230 now engine light flashing

Car-Man

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought my first JB. It's a 2008 SX230. I took it to the local dealer, got it summarized and when I put it in the water today after I ran it about 5 minutes I noticed that the "engine overheat light" was flashing. It was on the port side and I also noticed that same side would top out at about 8500 rpms vs the starboard side topping out at about 10,100. Is it normal to have that big of a rpm difference? And I can't find anything in the manual that talks about a single flashing light. Any idea what that could be? Thanks!

@Car-Man
Glad to have you on board, it would be better if you started a new post about your problem, maybe one of the [USERGROUP=3]@Administrative[/USERGROUP] can move it,

It's unusual if you just have a spark plug issue that you would also have an overheat, I would think that maybe you sucked something up, look very closely in the pumps and make sure there is nothing, not even a tooth pick or fishing line caught or wrapped around the shaft or impeller,

Were the tell-tale pee holes working on the starboard side of the boat? you should have had 4 streams of water coming out while you were at full throttle

Our MR1 motors are very sensitive about spark plugs, check the faq section for easy DIY directions, it will take you about 45 minutes total and you'll get to know your boat better, be careful removing the #3 plug as it has a history of being seized or stuck and if you lean the wrench it while trying to remove the plug it can snap the top off,

@Car-Man
and both motors should turn at least 10k rpm, the original post was about the throttles slipping and losing rpm or hold both throttles at the same position and having a few hundred rpms difference, Your problem is definitely something else,

I just bought my first JB. It's a 2008 SX230. I took it to the local dealer, got it summarized and when I put it in the water today after I ran it about 5 minutes I noticed that the "engine overheat light" was flashing. It was on the port side and I also noticed that same side would top out at about 8500 rpms vs the starboard side topping out at about 10,100. Is it normal to have that big of a rpm difference? And I can't find anything in the manual that talks about a single flashing light. Any idea what that could be? Thanks!
Welcome @Car-Man to JBers.net. Glad that you found us. I have had an overheat light in the past that was cured with changing the spark plugs. Sometimes it's as simple as that. But at the very least, it's a cheap and easy first step. Make sure to follow these steps to a T and don't over tighten the plugs (they can snap off), don't force out the old ones (they can break off inside the head) and make sure to use anti-seize on the new ones.
http://talk.braby.us/YJB-Docs/MR1-spark-plug-change.pdf
https://jetboaters.net/threads/changing-plugs-now-im-sick.1359/

Good luck, keep us posted.

@Car-Man. I believe you have two issues going on. The low RPM issue should be resolved by changing spark plugs as others have suggested. Change them in both engines.

I don't think you are getting an overheat. If you were the computer would restrict engine speed to about 2500 RPM. I believe @Julian is correct in that it's probably flashing a code. Watch the light to see if there is a pattern to the flashes. Does your "no wake" work on the port engine? That is a fairly common code.

I recommend that you also check the inlet screen in the pump itself to see if it is clogged. It is about the size of a matchbook and can be seen through the streering nozzle with the reverse gate all the way up. It's a long shot but mine have been clogged before after running through marine vegetation which has caused the related engine to throw an overheat warning.

Several things come to mind, the dealer may have accidently overfilled your oil, this will clog up your air filter element and cause the engine to run bad. Check the condition of your air filter element and the oil level. It may be that you just sucked up weeds in one of your pumps, especially if you use reverse in shallow water. You may have a engine fault code as previously mentioned or a clogged cooling hose. What did the engine do when you flushed it on the hose after you finished using it? If the engine is overheating the computer will place it in limp mode, making me believe it is some other issue. Plugs, oil, bad battery connection, bad injector, old or contaminated fuel etc.

overheat and warning 1.png

overheat and warning 2.png
This is from your manual on the MR-1 that is in the 21' X. Note as @Gym said, that rpm is limited if the engine is in overheat. As others have said, it may be a code too. Since it is your first Yamaha, you will see at some point, if it isn't now, a quick revving, loud metallic sounding, uncontrollable throttle response, in that it revs almost out of control...that will be when you have lost your hookup of water in the pump, and it revs without restriction. A clog of weeds/grass, even a stick or other foreign object can cause that. Cooling on the other hand is also affected by any of these, because if you block off the cooling water with cavitation, it will quickly overheat. Leaving the cleanout plugs (under the swim deck cleanout tray) uninstalled, will get you this sound and fast rev, without any power, and it will overheat quick. But like others mentioned and I mentioned, it could be a code it is flashing. It flashes in a pattern to indicate the code...here is a listing of codes you might see, it is attached as a word doc below, just open it. Oh, congrats on the boat and welcome to the forum!!!

Attachments

Back