• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brass Drain plug install

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Purchased marine adhesive 4000 instead of the 5200 since 4000 can be removed if needed. Just in case these ever strip or fail.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-05280-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B0000AY0ND?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Used my dremel tool and a circular sanding bit to clean drain holes after removing the plastic plugs just held in by silicone. My starboard drain plug practically fell out after removing the screws so that might have been the cause for my leak. Used a razor blade and WD-40 to remove the silicone and cleaned the holes up.

Drilled my 3 holes after dry fitting my plug wish I wrote down what size bit and screws I used. I think they are #7 stainless steel but I bought packs of #7, #8, #9.

Coat of adhesive around hole and in all drilled holes.

Coated my new plug with lots of sealant

Made sure I had adhesive come out everywhere

Added the 3 screws and tightened them down each a little at a time for even pressure

Finished install just used a paper towel to clean off all excess adhesive and made sure to clean out the screw bit heads as they had some adhesive in them.

Somehow I don't have a final image with the plugs will snap one tonight but they look dang good!

Last edited:

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@Danielmailin it was your post that helped me get mine done.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That looks a heck of a lot better than factory!
I'll be curious to see if that helped with the bilge water.
I was getting water in the changing area floor each night like yours, even when it didn't rain.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Check out my last post on the drain plug and where does the water go it will explain why this wont help.

Davidrbjr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
awesome I need to do that looks much better!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

DonWon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@Billy Marlin Where did you get those plugs from? Brand and model? I need to do mine.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Got mine off amazon and finally got to test them this weekend. They are the same ones as posted above. The boat hull is dry as a bone and I could not be happier. Between my new auto bilge and plugs feeling a lot better about leaving my boat in the water.

3thrty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When you drill the holes and place screws can you access to put a nut on the other side? What type of screw did you use?

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I just used (#8 if memory serves) oval head stainless sheet metal screws. It would be a pain in the butt to put nuts a on a machine screw in that location. Plus stainless nuts and bolts tend to gall and become impossible to take apart after time.
Use good quality marine adhesive sealant on everything and you won't have any problems. The adhesive sealant will be doing all the work once it dries. Something for above/below waterline rather than just cheap silicone. (Life Seal, 3M 4000, 3M 4200 would all be good)

Last edited:

3thrty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you. Picked them up at west marine today and they are going in this week along with underwater lights.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That sounds about right got mine at Lowes and you definitely want to use the good Marine Adhesive. Yamaha installed these with crap silicone which one practically fell out after removing the screws since it was not glued in.

jet_fun

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi
Im definetely doing this project! How tight do you tighten the drain plug? Just hand tight or do you put a 1/4 turn with a wrench?

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We use a wrench and a little anti seize compound on the threads for salt water.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I keep a small crescent wrench in my truck door and a spare cheapo in a sealed box on the boat. Hand tight then just snug it a little with the wrench best mod I did besides the 2nd auto bilge with float.