• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broken Spark Plug

Might be too late, but if this is likely a cross thread from the factory, you can take it and make a warranty claim on it... In which case I would not yet pull the head (unless they deny the claim saying you made things worse, which they may do (not that I think you made things worse--that is what they may SAY in order to justify denying the claim)).
I was wondering about that posabilty, since it was the factory or dealer that would have caused it. I was going to call my dealer service manager tuesday to see what they say. Assuming they approve the claim however parts availabiltiy is another story.

Yes, but now that you are looking at pulling the head, that is another level of complexity and cost. Not that I would be afraid to do it, but if this all was Y's fault, that should be their dime (and hassle) to fix.

And if the dealer can't get the parts (like gasket, etc.), you likely will have a hard time as well...

Well if you are not getting any where place a long bolt in the broken plug long enough to allow you to get in the opening and weld it to the plug body this will allow you to unscrew the remainder of the plug in and out not just out, if needed and the heat will loosen the plug and allow you to get it out easier the bolt should be as wide as you can fit in the center of the plug and it should be a longer than the depth of the hole so you can get to it with a welding rod or use a rod with no head and weld it to the plug then weld a big nut on top of the rod this will give you moor room to weld it into the plug I can tell you how to clean the cylinder after you get the plug out . Damn sure wort a try use 6011 rods.
Interesting Idea, Unfortionatly even if I had a welder available that is beyond abilities. The threaded portion is only 1/16"

Check with a welding shop if it removes the plug it saves you a lot in time and money cleaning the cylinder out is pretty easy to do just do not crank the engine or turn it before you clean it. I weld out a lot of broken bolts so I would try it or I would heat the plug and try it with the ez out first but you really have to heat it because the aluminum will pull the heat away fast so you need an acetylene torch to do that again a welding shop may be the answer may even be the way to weld the rod in the spark plug body rather than a electric welder a small torch may do it better .

Yes, but now that you are looking at pulling the head, that is another level of complexity and cost. Not that I would be afraid to do it, but if this all was Y's fault, that should be their dime (and hassle) to fix.

And if the dealer can't get the parts (like gasket, etc.), you likely will have a hard time as well...
I checked my 10 hour service paper work and apparently the dealer did not change the plugs on the 10 hour service. I went and talked to the dealer today and they said If I would have found this issue last year Yamaha may cover it but since its 18 months old they wont. The dealers mechanic thinks he will be able to get it out without pulling the head so Im going to give that a shot.

Last edited:
I just had great success using these to extract a stripped allen head bolt that was completely rounded off. I drilled into it and went the next size up tapped in the extractor and it grabbed really good and the bolt came out.

I dropped the boat off at the dealer Tuesday afternoon and got the call today that they got the plug out and its ready to pickup. They said part of the plug fell into the cylinder when they were extracting so they had to pull the head to clean it out. Total damage was $1100. $1000 more then I wanted to pay but I guess is could have been worse. I will pick it up tomorrow and maybe use this weekend.

I dropped the boat off at the dealer Tuesday afternoon and got the call today that they got the plug out and its ready to pickup. They said part of the plug fell into the cylinder when they were extracting so they had to pull the head to clean it out. Total damage was $1100. $1000 more then I wanted to pay but I guess is could have been worse. I will pick it up tomorrow and maybe use this weekend.

That’s a drag about the B.O.A.T / Break Out Another Thousand ….

BUT, you are now ready to hit the water and wet some lines !

Id make sure that every plug has just a thin layer of anti seize on the threads..

That’s a drag about the B.O.A.T / Break Out Another Thousand ….

BUT, you are now ready to hit the water and wet some lines !

Id make sure that every plug has just a thin layer of anti seize on the threads..
Yep I already put anti seize on the other 5 plugs. I need to confirm the dealer put anti sieze on the one they instaleld, if not I will pull and coat it myself, hell I may pull anyway to just to be extra sure.

Yep I already put anti seize on the other 5 plugs. I need to confirm the dealer put anti sieze on the one they instaleld, if not I will pull and coat it myself, hell I may pull anyway to just to be extra sure.

It’s awesome that you were not only able to get it into the shop pretty quickly but also that they got it done in a week! Money can’t buy back time that has passed.

Go forth and make waves!

Back