• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Built in flotation?

Dave1949

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does the 210 FSH have built in flotation to keep the boat up if swamped or capsized?

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I thought all boats have "built in" flotation? If not, they would be submarines.....

:p

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Archimedes' principle of water displacement is what keeps a boat afloat normally. Flotation is something that is added so even if the boat fills with water, it will remain on the surface instead of sinking to the bottom.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Uhm yeah, that is known. Satire was missed.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Uhm yeah, that is known. Satire was missed.
My bad, I wasn't sure.
You wouldn't believe the number of people I meet who actually do think the wood and foam built into boats is what keeps them afloat. Then I show them pictures of cement ships.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Haaa People who think wood keeps a boat floating should have a real hard time with cement cargo ships lol.
upload_2018-2-11_16-54-44.jpegupload_2018-2-11_16-55-2.jpeg

just a few examples but for goodness sake never try to tell them some ships are made of STEEL! oh no!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
However I do own a floating rock ,seriously!

Dave1949

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My concern was due to a service tech telling me if the bilge drain plug was left out the boat would go to the bottom. Some of the other things he told me didn't prove to be true.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My concern was due to a service tech telling me if the bilge drain plug was left out the boat would go to the bottom. Some of the other things he told me didn't prove to be true.
It shouldn't "go to the bottom". It will, however become what most boaters call "swamped", which essentially means full of water but still somewhat afloat.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The Coast Guard has regulations on these boats and the minimum requirements on flotation when they are built.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As I understand it:

Please beware the boats are built to "not sink"..this is not the same as not capsize. The boat may well flip and end up upside-down. but the boat won't sink.

I hope these next words are never useful to anyone reading them...Always stay with the boat! It is large and can be seen from a distance and you can hold on to it. Do not leave the boat behind unless you are very sure of your next steps. Most rescues find the boat. If you are with it, you can be found too.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I believe his orginal question was whether boat was foam filled like a Boston Whaler for example? Which I'm not exactly sure how much foam is under the liner. Neck I'm not even sure what the stringer system looks like. I'm guessing there's foam filled glass stringer setup but just a guess?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think this is what he means.
Screenshot_20180212-080018.png or this
Screenshot_20180212-075939.png l love Whalers, glad I had it as a dive boat. Answer is yes, but not like this.

Last edited:

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As I understand it:

Please beware the boats are built to "not sink"..this is not the same as not capsize. The boat may well flip and end up upside-down. but the boat won't sink.

I hope these next words are never useful to anyone reading them...Always stay with the boat! It is large and can be seen from a distance and you can hold on to it. Do not leave the boat behind unless you are very sure of your next steps. Most rescues find the boat. If you are with it, you can be found too.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Lots of boats now days have foam filled hulls or gunnels. Heck my low end 2008 Glassmaster center console had foam filled stringers and hull. Nothing like the Whaler of course.

Saylor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
WOW, If my wife sees this video, I will be boating all by myself!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
lessons are expensive, live and learn . flotation worked !!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty sure coast guard regulations require that all boats under 26' must float for something like 48 hours once swamped.

Yes...Yamahas have foam inside the hull in various locations to meet the regulation.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes they do and here we see beach launching or a facsimile there of I really don't think I would want to go boating like this every day I launch and load on a sand beach but this is so much more insane. Nano hulls would only last a few days doing this.