• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying my first Yamaha and seeking advice

CLS550

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello folks,

I have been reading tons of good stuff here. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to share their experience and insights.

So here’s the background: we are looking for a boat that can handle the Long Island Sound, the Great Lakes, and of course smaller lakes. We’d like to use the boat for tubing, wakeboarding, fishing, and of course cruising. First time boaters with zero experience.

Our current thinking is that a 23’ Yamaha checks all the boxes:

1) 23’ is strong enough for the Sound, but also manageable to tow
2) Yamaha engines are legendary
3) Jets can go in shallower water, while the Yamaha in particular is easy to clean up the impeller.

Is our thinking sound? Would you suggest something else?

Assuming we are on track, a few more questions:

1) Given the same engine hours, what’s the oldest boat you would consider? 2004,5,6,7...? Since we have never owned a boat I’d like to spend less than $20K and make sure this is for us
2) AR230HO vs SX230HO? Do we care about the tower?
3) Looking beyond the condition of the engine, the interior, and the gel coat, what shall I look for?
4) What kind of repairs/maintenance matter? For example, today we looked at a pristine fresh water 2004 SX230HO that had its horn and steering cables replaced; do we care?

You get the idea. We don’t quite know how to go about buying in a practical way. Have seen tons of YouTube videos, misc articles, etc., but would love to hear from actual Yamaha owners.

Thanks!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought a similar boat, 07 sc230 ho. My take...

07 had some improvements but early years can be had much cheaper. There was an hp bump in 07 as well.

Ar vs sx... depends if you wakeboard. If it's yourfirst boat, you're probably notice wakeboarders, and the tower wont help you as it's for getting higher jumps. If you get to that point, upgrade boats.

3/4 If the engines have good compression, that's the main thing I'd look for. All the boats around this age will need new steering and reverse cables imo, unless already replaced. Same with upholstery. Either buy one that has it all done (over 20k) or buy one expecting to do it.

The other option to consider is buying a slightly.older 2 stroke ar210 ot similar. They can be had under 10k and would be a great first boat due to their low price, and frankly a 2q foot boat is always gonna be worth a few grand if it runs.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Had plenty of boat in the family growing up in an island jet boats were frown upon, , i got my first JB a yamaha 2007 ar230ho. i guess i liked it so much that its for sale and a new one is underway probably arriving next week. I do go in the ocean and lakes and river.in florida, had 10 people in the boat out in the ocean no problem,i wouldnt take 10 on a trip to biomini, but they are solid and versatile. i fly out of JFK and look at the LI sound all the time you will not have a problem there.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought my 2008 AR210 last year, which has twin MR1 110hp engines and sits in a lift 100% of the time. I don't have a frame of reference to talk of the newer boats, except my dreaming while at the boat show. Pretty happy with the 2008 compared to my last stern drive boat. I also have 5 skis, a sailboat, kayaks and a paddleboard. :)

What I like (love, really):
  • No prop. I no longer worry about hitting stumps or logs
  • I've rebuilt the MR1s and am comfortable fixing anything on the boat. That said, now that she is in the lift I've had zero problems in the last 6 months.
  • Fuel tank is rated at 50 gallons, but seems to hold closer to 60
  • Lots of room and storage compartments. We've had 8 people on the boat with gear for an all day trip (and back), and it was quite comfortable. Easily able to stow everything.
  • Built-in swim platform is really nice
  • Anchor locker in the front makes it very convenient to stow the anchor and anchor rope
  • Even being 10 years go, I think she is still a very pretty boat. Sleek design.

What I don't (or didn't) like:
  • Noisier than my stern drive, but after putting some foam around the engine compartment lip it's much better. I hear the newer boats are quieter.
  • She drinks fuel at high RPM, but then again they all do at high RPM.
  • Steering at low speed is poor. I scraped my boat house twice while getting into the slip, and was worried I could not control the boat when circling and picking up people in the water (tubing, skiing, etc.) I have since installed thrust vectors and they made a remarkable improvement. Steers about as well as my old stern drive now.
  • The damn shallow water alarm--I need to silence that thing. Very annoying.
-Greg

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn't have an older boat but besides what has been called out above I would add for the size you will get the best layout and most room in a boat this size. Steering can be a challenge at low speeds. Practice this and before long you will be very comfortable. It didn't take long and I was backing my boat into the slip which allowed the swim platform to be inside so everyone could board very easily. The swim platform is one of the key reasons we got ours. It make it so great to get back on the boat after being in the water. These boats are very easy to maintain. I had a tower on mine and loved it. It helped with managing the ropes as well.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello folks,

I have been reading tons of good stuff here. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to share their experience and insights.

So here’s the background: we are looking for a boat that can handle the Long Island Sound, the Great Lakes, and of course smaller lakes. We’d like to use the boat for tubing, wakeboarding, fishing, and of course cruising. First time boaters with zero experience.

Our current thinking is that a 23’ Yamaha checks all the boxes:

1) 23’ is strong enough for the Sound, but also manageable to tow
2) Yamaha engines are legendary
3) Jets can go in shallower water, while the Yamaha in particular is easy to clean up the impeller.

Is our thinking sound? Would you suggest something else?

Assuming we are on track, a few more questions:

1) Given the same engine hours, what’s the oldest boat you would consider? 2004,5,6,7...? Since we have never owned a boat I’d like to spend less than $20K and make sure this is for us
2) AR230HO vs SX230HO? Do we care about the tower?
3) Looking beyond the condition of the engine, the interior, and the gel coat, what shall I look for?
4) What kind of repairs/maintenance matter? For example, today we looked at a pristine fresh water 2004 SX230HO that had its horn and steering cables replaced; do we care?

You get the idea. We don’t quite know how to go about buying in a practical way. Have seen tons of YouTube videos, misc articles, etc., but would love to hear from actual Yamaha owners.

Thanks!
Welcome! Great responses here, I'll try to add a bit.

I would worry less about hours and more about general condition and upkeep/maintenance. Typically, if an owner takes care of the boats appearance the mechanical maintenance tends to be on par, there may be exceptions of course but it would be rare.

Dry rot and loose/rusted/failing clamps can be devastating even in a boat that has very low hours at those ages.

Tower is a plus even if you are not doing any water sports, also increases resale value.

Steering and throttle/reverse cables usually need to be replaced every few years, so new cables are NOT a red flag (just the opposite really).

Cleanout plugs should be able to be removed easily (also can be an indicator of a boat's general maintenance status).

--

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My two pennies...

First, I consider my AR240 really a lake boat. Yes, you can take them to the gulf/bay/Bimini--many have and do regularly. But IMHO, that is a bit of fitting a square peg into a round hole. The hull design is not deep V to really cut waves or chop, and there is no tabs that are standard to help with that. So, can you make it work for that? Sure. But that does not seem to me to be the primary use (and I say that knowing full well many will disagree...).

Second, yes, full marks on the comment about the prop versus having none. Mine is my first boat (never had one growing up, etc.). That was a great point of comfort and still is. Absolutely agree there.

On the tower: one of the things that persuaded me is that (as a new boater) you cannot hold onto a bimini top to steady yourself. You (and your crew) can do that with a tower. So I got the tower. Much more difficult to add later, and as it turns out very useful...

What to look for: understand from this board the oil cooler issue. Then you can spot whether they have that or not and if it has been corrected on your (potential) boat. Lots of what they have above I agree with completely. Remember that these are relatively simple machines with very little hidden (no transmission, no outdrive, etc.). Basically the engine goes to the impeller--that is is. So if the engine is sound (see the advice about the compression) and the impellers are sound (inspect those to see that they are smooth, no/not many nicks, path to them is smooth), you should be pretty good to go if you inspect the rest of the craft and don't find anything evident (like a gaping hole in the side, etc.). If you have basic car knowledge, that knowledge imports well to the boat. Check the oil--if it smells burned, avoid. Look it over for general maintenance and you should be good.

Yes, Yamaha engines are legendary. Part of my analysis as well. Spot on there, IMHO.

Yes, you can run better in shallow water. But note that in too shallow water you will a) hit the bottom or b) clog the jets and overheat the engines c) stir up that muck on the bottom and suck rocks and other mess in to destroy your impellers or d) run against that rock sticking up down there. Guidance still is 3+feet. But, yes, you can go more shallow if needed.

Hope that helps. Do keep in mind: with all of those things considered, I did pull the trigger on the Yami... :)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
06 vs 07 the style changed a bit 07 is heavier but gunwale is higher and has J layout vs dual chairs. The 07+ was the right choice for us, but if you like the 06, they are normally much cheaper. Figure this out so you can hone in on which one you want

CLS550

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Big thank you for everyone’s thoughts. Never suspected that the tower could be so useful and that I should give ARs a lot more consideration.

With respect to safety, how common is to equip these boats with GPS enabled DSC VHF radios?

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@CLS550 I owned a 2008 SX230 and loved it as my starter boat. You will only find that GPS and VHF radios, if the seller has done mods, since they don’t come from the factory with this equipment.

Some “self conflicting” data points to through out, so you gain prepurchase perspective:
-The sun coverage area of the bimini on the SX was significantly larger than the tower mounted bimini on my current 2013 242. After my pale skinned friends that taken the prime shade areas, there is not much shade left over for me.
-When fishing with friends, the ski tower does tend to get in the way and forces use of the bow or stern almost exclusively. Just sort of in the way for casting and dealing with lines if you are anchored.
-For tubing the tow point is in the stern of the boat, not the tower. So if you will be doing more tubing than skiing, the tower won’t provide you much value for that potential use.

So for self conflicting ... I still prefer my tower because deploying the bimini is easier, it looks cool and as stated above, improves resale value of the boat.

“Other” items to emphasize for your inspection:
-Upholstery. Given the contours, cushion count, removal complexity and seating arrangement etc., these are expensive boats to reupholster ($3500+). Pull the cushions up, give them a good hard look for UV degradation and stiching deterioration.
-Condition of the cover(s) ... the OEM covers are expensive ($700-900).
-Owners maintenance regimen. More important if the boat is used in saltwater, but very important to know what the PO’s maintenance habits.

To reiterate what has been stated by the other members ... engines, electronics and impellers etc. are the top priority, consider the above gotcha avoidance.

CLS550

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With respect to safety, how common is to equip these boats with GPS enabled DSC VHF radios?
What I meant to ask is if you folks equip the boats with GPS enabled DSC VHF radios. That is, do you see value in buying modern communications gear that could aid search & rescue? I suspect the answer depends on whether or not you take your boats to the ocean or lakes big enough to have Coast Guard bases.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
CLS550, I remember the challenges and troubles I had with becoming a first time boat owner. Please take into account everything others have said, and allow me to add my thoughts. I wish I had known or had a resource such as this forum when I bought my first boat.

Being a prospective first time boater with no experience, the best thing any of us can tell you is to do your homework. Take your time getting ready to become a boat owner, and it should take some time, possibly more than a year. You are not entering a hobby, boat owning is a lifestyle, and it is one that requires several resources and critical skill sets. The most important skill set is having a mindset of safety for yourself, your passengers and other vessels around you. If you haven't already done so, you need to do an honest assessment of whether you already have or can acquire these skills and resources, and are also at a point in your life where owning a boat is a realistic and enjoyable option. Boating/boat owning always appears to be a great pastime, and it certainly is, but its also expensive, takes a lot of time, is a lot of work, and carries a lot of responsibility/liability too.

Since you have said you have no previous experience, you need to get out on the water, as a passenger, and then as the captain. They are two completely different roles and experiences, both of which you should be familiar and comfortable with. If you find that either role is not a good fit, then boat owning may not be for you.

There are plenty of people that make great passengers, but would not be fit as owners - and there is nothing wrong with that. Being a good passenger is as simple as being able to follow instructions, knowing basic boating safety, and being comfortable both in and on the water. Being a responsible boat owner requires a lot of time and money for maintenance, cleaning, prepping, and winterization. Owning a Yamaha minimizes the maintenance you would need, and if you are mechanically competent to do some or all of the maintenance yourself this can help keep costs down, and of course the people on this forum and others are amazingly helpful. Being a boat owner also makes you the default captain which comes with an assortment of responsibilities that many boat owners don't even realize they have. Being a good captain will be the determining factor for you and your passengers having a good time on the water. A good captain can make a good weather day an amazing life time memory and a bad day a tolerable experience. A poor captain can make the most beautiful boating conditions miserable for everyone, and make bad conditions into life threatening situations. Ensure you can be a good owner and captain, because if you can't - which there is nothing wrong with - then owning a boat will be nothing but a source of misery and an empty hole you throw money into.

Talking about maintenance and money, in general, the older the boat, the higher the maintenance requirements and maintenance costs will be, which could offset or even eclipse new(er) boat costs. You may be better off buying a new(er) boat as far as overall costs are concerned. Also take into consideration that the costs associated with boating do not just include the boat itself, many times the boat is not even a third the total expense. Other expenses to consider are the tow vehicle costs, boat trailer maintenance, insurance, lodging, food, travel costs, registration, local water body fees/registrations, time off from your job to enjoy your boat, etc.

I would recommend first finding someone on this forum near you that would be willing to take you on the water in their boat (hopefully the same type you wish to purchase), and let you do some basic things like prep/launch/recover at the ramp, moor/tie up at a pier or marina, operate in reverse, do a little open water steering and navigation, tow people on tubes or boards. Once you feel comfortable with these basic items, rent a couple of different types of boats and take them out on your own, including at least one open prop boat (outboard, inboard, etc.). Get on different bodies of water in different levels of chop, so you can see how different boats behave. Nothing will make you appreciate your purchase like knowing exactly what you have, and also what you gave up, in your chosen boat. Owning a particular boat, regardless of which you choose to purchase, will involve some level of compromise. Figure out which boat qualities are critical, desirable, undesirable, and incompatible. The compromise will be in the desirable/undesirable areas. If you cannot afford all the boat qualities that fall into the critical area and avoid all the incompatible qualities, you need to wait either until you can save more money, or the right deal comes around.

From your list of water locations you want to boat on, you may want to consider some boats other than Yamahas, specifically bigger boats. Don't get me wrong, I love these boats and I think they are fantastic for the market segment they are designed for. They also have a lot of room for growth beyond their intended market. All that being said, those are some big bodies of water on your list you want to explore, and you would probably not want to do it except on the calmer days in a 23" Yamaha which could possibly limit your enjoyable boating. The boating skill you have at the time will be the determining factor. I can certainly tell you that in my current boat and my previous boat which was nearly 25", nothing ruins a day faster than bad weather or rough water. Maybe one of the bigger Yamaha boats would be a good fit for you, in the right hands, they can surely handle the smaller/medium/large lakes, and even go offshore when the weather allows. But I would encourage you to not limit your options if you intend to explore the great lakes or other large water bodies. It might even be a better idea to start with one boat on smaller water bodies, acquire the right experience, and then upgrade to another boat for bigger waters.

Sorry for the long post, I hope this information helps you make a good decision, please don't look at my comments as a discouragement or disparagement. I just wanted to give you a little heads up as to what you will inevitably experience as a boat owner, and I hope you make a great one.

CLS550

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Midnight2V thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! Not what I had asked for, but very very helpful. Sincerely appreciated.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There was an hp bump in 07 as well.
There was no bump in HP in 2007. The change in HP came in 2005 with the introduction of the High Output MR-1. They sold both the high output and standard output versions in 2005 and 2006. In 2007 they stopped making the lower HP models.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There was no bump in HP in 2007. The change in HP came in 2005 with the introduction of the High Output MR-1. They sold both the high output and standard output versions in 2005 and 2006. In 2007 they stopped making the lower HP models.
I believe there is info on this site that states they used the lower hp engines in the 210's, 07+ with HO's as an option. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: I missed the 230 part of the thread. That's what happens when you only read the last post and don't go back and reread the whole thread.:banghead:

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The info above regarding HO only for 2007+ is about the 230 series. You may be right on the 210.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Regarding boat ownership, It is a lifestyle to really enjoy it, but being new should not dissuade you from trying at all.

It is a big financial commitment so it would be best if you are sure this is what you want. I would say if you can't get a couple of free rides on someone else's boat, consider renting a few times.

It may seem expensive, but if you end up passing, it will have saved you big money.

Biggest hurdles to ownership are storage and access to water. The rest you can learn slowly.

Do you see yourself investing most of your free time on the boat? If so, is for you. If you want to use once every 8 weeks, best to rent.