• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can I safely leave my AR240 in the water all season? (fresh water lake)

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
As I get closer to pulling the trigger I’m upping my info gathering. A customer of mine insisted I can’t leave the AR240 in the lake water all season. I don’t have access to a lift but I do have access to a hose. I may be overthinking this as I get closer but want to confirm this is nonsense.
thx rick in NNJ

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We leave our AR230 in a slip on Lake Champlain from mid May thru October. Taking it out once or twice a season for bottom cleaning. The little bit of growth, from our Lake, and zebra mussles comes off easily with Starbrite Hull Cleaner.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Should not be a problem at all. Get yourself a slow charger if you have shore power available.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not sure about the lake you will be in, but down here in Dallas it will be a bad idea. Unless of course you enjoy cleaning the bottom of your boat.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Up north it is easier. Here in Raleigh I used to wet slip, but ended up getting an airdock because I got tired of the performance impact of driving a furry boat (here in Falls lake our boat grows an algae fur on it that takes the top speed down from 48-35). That performance impact also hits your wallet big time! In order to drive 35 you are full throttle!! o_O :oops:
When I wet slipped in WI this wasn't an issue as the boat got dirty but only lost 5mph ish and it was way easier to clean.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I left mine in the water for 2-months at the end of last season and went from 51 to 43mph top speed...

I changed the plugs twice thinking they were bad, but then read a thread on this forum that mentioned how much drag the green stuff on the hull this can add.

My plan next season is to leave it in (because it’s so nice being ready to go) but pull it out every other week and scrub below the waterline.

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I leave ours in the water from May until October without any problems.

I use a soft bristled boat brush about once a week while at the beach or sandbar to give it a once over. The brush I use doesn’t scratch the gel coat at all. I was very hesitant to use the brush the first time.
I also pull it out twice during the summer to give it a good wash.
By staying on top of it, it is never a terrible job to do.

So don’t worry about leaving it in the water. You will use it far more this way that if you trailer.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mines in for the full season...April to October.
Yes, there is a performance drop off but nothing a quick scrub wont take care of.

I bought the boat to enjoy it and for us, it being in the water and avoiding trailering is the best way to do that.

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Mine is at a wet slip on the New York side of fresh water Lake Champlain from July 1 through end September, I put on a mask and I clean the bottom every couple of weeks with a micro fibre car wash mitt, when anchored at the beach, takes about 15 minutes. A quick spray with Starbrite hull cleaner in the spring and she comes snowy white. This is how the hull looks after the summer when I pull her out after 3 months, not nasty at all, Boat at Marina.jpg

Last edited:

Croker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Have you looked at a SeaPen? Our neighbours use them in salt water rivers to keep their boats out of the water preventing growth.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I kept mine in the water but hated what happened to the hull. I did a very good cleaning twice a year and that kept it real clean. I also wiped her down when we were in "our cove" so that helped. I finally got a lift so a quick cleaning is all that was needed and i still got to take her out very easily whenever I wanted.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Best to ask people that are on your lake you plan to wet slip. Every lake will behave differently as to how fast and what kind of growth you will get.

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you so much. I’m going to the NY boat show and after that, i Think I’ll pull the trigger.

I bought mine a year to the day last year at the show... Good luck, they are great boats...

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nothing "bad" will happen. Just some nasty growth. It can be washed off.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Keep in mind that there is a HUGE difference between fresh water lakes up north and down south! My boat would come out pretty clean after a summer in a Wisconsin fresh water lake. After sitting in a NC freshwater lake....it had a fur coat below the water line. Literally a quarter inch of algae growth.

The primary difference isn't actually latitude, but water temperature. The lake we are on in NC gets to 95 degrees in the summer! If you are in a deep, cooler southern lake it won't be as bad.

This is an old pic. The left side is after powerwashing and starbright hull cleaner. The right side is ALREADY power washed, awaiting hull cleaner!!!!

dirtyboat.jpg

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had a wet slip last year and am giving it up. I found it to be more of a pain in the butt. Bugs and spiders are crazy on my lake and between cleaning all of them off, then all the bugs under the cover, just got sick of it. And top speed suffered as well. Used to top out at 48-49 and it was 36 max my last time out.
Oh, and some motherf*%ker hit my boat in the slip and took a nice chunk out of my stern platform.

Gonna give that Star Bright stuff a try because my hull and pumps are a dirty mess! This pic was from last July after 2 months in the water.
1583707820363.jpeg

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Keep hull cleaner away from pumps. It will discolor them. I don’t have good solution for pumps, but mine are not as bad.
i wetslip as well

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you can afford it get a used lift.

tabbibus