• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ceramic Coating Brand New Boat - Is Paint Correction Step Needed?

no-proplems

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our brand new 212S is sitting in the driveway waiting for its first taste of water. And I think I want to do a ceramic coating on it. I'm watching all the DIY videos now and the first step is always a paint/gelcoat correction. But all the tutorials are on boats with oxidation and other blemishes. So, I'm wondering if I can skip that step and just apply the Ceramic Pro or other ceramic coating. Also kind of wondering if there's a cheaper method using a "ceramic spray." Anyone have any experience doing this DIY? Is it overkill?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our brand new 212S is sitting in the driveway waiting for its first taste of water. And I think I want to do a ceramic coating on it. I'm watching all the DIY videos now and the first step is always a paint/gelcoat correction. But all the tutorials are on boats with oxidation and other blemishes. So, I'm wondering if I can skip that step and just apply the Ceramic Pro or other ceramic coating. Also kind of wondering if there's a cheaper method using a "ceramic spray." Anyone have any experience doing this DIY? Is it overkill?
Can I make a suggestion other than ceramic?

rejex is way easier and last as long, if not longer.

no-proplems

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can I make a suggestion other than ceramic?

rejex is way easier and last as long, if not longer.
Yes absolutely! I've seen this mentioned quite a bit and I'm learning a lot. Apparently I can't DIY CeramicPro. Has to be done by an approved detailer. I'm not really wanting to spend $1,500 - 2,000 though. Rejex looks easy enough. But I'm not even sure which one of their products everyone is talking about when they say "use Rejex." There seems to be a lot of different Rejex products. Is it just the Rejex High Gloss finish product?

Also, does a brand new boat need any surface prep? Or can I just rinse/wipe off dust and apply the Rejex?

Lastly, is Rejex a similar product to Boat Bling Quickie Sauce?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes absolutely! I've seen this mentioned quite a bit and I'm learning a lot. Apparently I can't DIY CeramicPro. Has to be done by an approved detailer. I'm not really wanting to spend $1,500 - 2,000 though. Rejex looks easy enough. But I'm not even sure which one of their products everyone is talking about when they say "use Rejex." There seems to be a lot of different Rejex products. Is it just the Rejex High Gloss finish product?

Also, does a brand new boat need any surface prep? Or can I just rinse/wipe off dust and apply the Rejex? Wash it down with dish soap (dawn) to remove any wax applied.

Lastly, is Rejex a similar product to Boat Bling Quickie Sauce? No, it is not. It is a polymer coating the seals the gelcoat.
replies in blue above

Last edited:

no-proplems

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome. I'm sold. So it sounds like I may have wasted money on the Boat Bling Quickie and Hot Sauce. haha. Are you saying that the only thing you ever need is Rejex? No waxing or spot removal, etc? Gonna order a couple bottles and use it on my vehicles too I guess.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome. I'm sold. So it sounds like I may have wasted money on the Boat Bling Quickie and Hot Sauce. haha. Are you saying that the only thing you ever need is Rejex? No waxing or spot removal, etc? Gonna order a couple bottles and use it on my vehicles too I guess.
Nope, no waxing , no boat bling. I just hit it with a damp used towel. I use it on all my vehicles, even my fleet of Semi trucks (straight roll off trucks)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nope, no waxing , no boat bling. I just hit it with a damp used towel. I use it on all my vehicles, even my fleet of Semi trucks (straight roll off trucks)
How big a bottle do you need to do a 24' boat? Thinking I might try this out.....

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How big a bottle do you need to do a 24' boat? Thinking I might try this out.....
One 16 oz bottle will probably do the boat three times at least twice.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Um the 16 oz bottle does my boat , truck , car and jeep. Others mileage on a bottle varies. I do not put it on thick, I create a haze on the surface. You also want to apply it at a temp below 85 degrees. Follow the directions on the container.

Last edited:

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like you're going DIY, but to answer your original question, I had my boat ceramic coated by a professional. No paint correction needed as it's a new boat. Cost was $900 for a '24.

Rejex sounds a lot like Zaino. I used to use that and it worked well but still had to be done annually. At least it did when I was commuting daily in heinous Bay Area traffic and parking outside during work. Ceramic should be good for 3-5 years. I'm only 1 year in on my first application (wife's car - just did the boat a few weeks ago) but so far it looks perfect. On the boat they did the swim deck area in addition to the hull. When I was putting the cover back on I put my hand on the side of the boat and it was so slick I nearly fell off.

So ceramic is expensive but I'm sold. That being said, there are worse things to be doing during this lockdown than polishing your boat :)

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah I have used MAYBE a half bottle (16oz) of the Rejex, I did the boat last year and my pickup this spring. I hope it lasts better than wax on the car, the boat is probably getting another coat once it gets a bit warmer out.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like you're going DIY, but to answer your original question, I had my boat ceramic coated by a professional. No paint correction needed as it's a new boat. Cost was $900 for a '24.

Rejex sounds a lot like Zaino. I used to use that and it worked well but still had to be done annually. At least it did when I was commuting daily in heinous Bay Area traffic and parking outside during work. Ceramic should be good for 3-5 years. I'm only 1 year in on my first application (wife's car - just did the boat a few weeks ago) but so far it looks perfect. On the boat they did the swim deck area in addition to the hull. When I was putting the cover back on I put my hand on the side of the boat and it was so slick I nearly fell off.

So ceramic is expensive but I'm sold. That being said, there are worse things to be doing during this lockdown than polishing your boat :)
Yes it is a annual item. For 20 dollars per bottle, its a no brainer for me.

It is different from Zaino- It actually does a better job and it is WAY WAY easier to apply and remove. No power tools necessary. Rejex has been around for a lot of years and was developed for the aircraft glass.

Last edited:

no-proplems

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes it is a annual item. For 20 dollars per bottle, its a no brainer for me.

It is different from Zaino- It actually does a better job and it is WAY WAY easier to apply and remove. No power tools necessary. Rejex has been around for a lot of years and was developed for the aircraft glass.
Glass? Do you apply it to your boat windshield also?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

I plan on getting my new 242 SE coated professionally with Ceramic Pro. In the past (on non-ceramic coated boats) I've always wiped down with boat bling hot sauce. Is that safe to use on a ceramically coated boat if not what do you use?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
There is no way to say for certain your boat won't need some form of correction without looking at it under the right light. I'd be hard pressed to believe anything, new or not, would not need some form of correction work. Even if it was a light polish. Sounds like you aren't leaning towards a ceramic coating anymore, which my recommendation is to not go with a ceramic coating. Purely due to them getting water spots easier. Being in a water and high sun environment it spells recipe for disaster.

Did a single stage correction on my boat in the fall, looks perfect doesn't it?
20191103_113134.jpg
20191103_113139.jpg

Nope! See the haze under the light. It could stand another step at a minimum. It's a boat, so I don't shoot for perfection as I use the crap outta my boat. I'm hyper OCD and have been doing paint correction/restoration for nearly 20 years on the side. If I was to ceramic coat that I'd lock all that haze in and only way to fix that would be to polish off the ce20191102_142015.jpgramic coating and THEN get to the haze.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is a myth that you can't DIY a ceramic coating. I've done two cars with this now and can't recommend it highly enough. It's a lot easier to apply than wax, and lasts for years. You do need to follow instructions precisely. Do a small area, wait a couple of minutes, wipe it off. WAY easier than wax. No problem to DIY, especially on a new boat. You don't need paint correction unless you need your paint to be perfect, and in that case you need paint correction regardless. The hardest part is the prep work. Wash the boat thoroughly with Dawn dishwashing soap. Using a clay bar and lubricant clay your car. Wash with dawn again. Thoroughly rinse. Rinse again. Dry the boat. Get it out of the sun and apply the ceramic coating. The easiest temperature to do this is around 60F. Even 55F is good. 70 and higher you start sweating and having to work faster. For a boat, plan the whole day including the washing. Amazon.com: CarPro Cquartz 50ml Kit - Ceramic Coating Finish: Automotive

Last edited:

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I plan on getting my new 242 SE coated professionally with Ceramic Pro. In the past (on non-ceramic coated boats) I've always wiped down with boat bling hot sauce. Is that safe to use on a ceramically coated boat if not what do you use?
I'm not familiar with hot sauce but I use Zaino Z-8 Spray Seal (left over from my Zaino coating days). Works great. The whole point of ceramic coating is that it creates a super hard barrier so it doesn't really matter what you use, as long as it's not abrasive and you are happy w/ the results.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with hot sauce but I use Zaino Z-8 Spray Seal (left over from my Zaino coating days). Works great. The whole point of ceramic coating is that it creates a super hard barrier so it doesn't really matter what you use, as long as it's not abrasive and you are happy w/ the results.
Does it keep growth and barnacles of boats left in salt water?

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hmmm. Good question. I'm a lake boater so don't know. Maybe poke around some sailboat forums to see if anyone there has any experience with it?