• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check your Cleats......

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Tied off to a friends boat this weekend at the Sandbar and heard a loud Pop. I guess Scarab thought glue was enough to hold the cleats on. No bolts were attached as the damage would have been worse, Even looked to make sure nothing fell off but the cleats were tight as can be right before the incident. Now I need to pull the boat apart and make sure everything is properly secured....

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Elio195HOI Are you certain there were no bolts and a backing plate behind that cleat? I'd be STUNNED if there was not! I had cleat come loose on my SX230 and had to go out and buy a giant socket to reach in to get to it and because the nut on the back was HUGE. To find the nut I used a shop vac in the bilge until I heard a the tell tale Rattle and THUNK of it landing in the vac!

If they were only going to glue it...then no need for the two big holes...right?

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I need to tighten mine... they are starting to come loose... it is on the list...

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
@Elio195HOI Are you certain there were no bolts and a backing plate behind that cleat? I'd be STUNNED if there was not! I had cleat come loose on my SX230 and had to go out and buy a giant socket to reach in to get to it and because the nut on the back was HUGE. To find the nut I used a shop vac in the bilge until I heard a the tell tale Rattle and THUNK of it landing in the vac!

If they were only going to glue it...then no need for the two big holes...right?
No nuts on the back! I even checked the other side and it has nothing holding it in place. They are simply bonded. I'm sure the idea was to install nuts but may have been over looked like everthing else....

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
You can see in the photo where the Gelcoat ripped off the fiberglass from the contact cement or whatever they used to bond the Cleat to the boat.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
The Cleat has post but the Nuts were not installed. I'll take a picture when I get home.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Can you show us a photo of the back of the cleat? Are there holes where posts should have gone? I just cannot imagine gluing a cleat! They must have forgotten to attach the posts!
They look like this.

Attachments

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Tied off to a friends boat this weekend at the Sandbar and heard a loud Pop. I guess Scarab thought glue was enough to hold the cleats on. No bolts were attached as the damage would have been worse, Even looked to make sure nothing fell off but the cleats were tight as can be right before the incident. Now I need to pull the boat apart and make sure everything is properly secured....
This isn't supposed to happen. I contacted Scarab on this and they said for me to tell you to bring it to your dealer for assessment. Those don't just get glued in. SMH.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
This isn't supposed to happen. I contacted Scarab on this and they said for me to tell you to bring it to your dealer for assessment. Those don't just get glued in. SMH.
Thanks Ron, I'll need to contact MM yet again.... Hopefully I can take it to the one 30 minutes away vs 3 hour round trip.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks Ron, I'll need to contact MM yet again.... Hopefully I can take it to the one 30 minutes away vs 3 hour round trip.
Gotcha!!!

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ha! Miramar isn't that far away.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
What year, Vin number, and hours?? You never know, but I will try.