• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean Out Plug Loose

MLo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone had issues when placing the plug back in place? I can't seem to get it locked in place. I know how difficult it can be to line it up and push it down but I'm sure its in place.. for some reason its just not locking. Comes loose when underway flooding the haul! Any suggestions?

P.S. Bought and installed the rebuild kit last season.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Try taking a short 2x4 to push the lock down. Sometimes it's a PITA to do it by hand otherwise @Cobra Jet Steering LLC makes locks for them so they won't blow out.

When it comes loose you say it fills the hull? As in water gets in the bilge?? If so you need to make sure that your black tubes have the top and bottom clamps on them and are tight and that the drain line that is in that back hatch area is connected to the drain hose with clamps.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it locks and unlocks easily outside the tube when you test it ?

Have you tried to feel inside the tube where the dogs lock into to make sure it's not got build up ?

MLo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered the EZ Locks, that should solve my problem. I will check the clamps this weekend.
Thanks for the input!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I ordered the EZ Locks, that should solve my problem. I will check the clamps this weekend.
Thanks for the input!
They shouldn't be hard to lock, so I'd figure out why they are resisting vs simply locking them down with EZ Locks and igoring the root problem. If the pump housing where they sit has tons of build up, even just locking them might not work. And if it does work, it might result in a different issue - with the plug being forced loose with the dogs still engaged and wedging in the rubber risier tube, blowing off the bottom of the tube and flooding your boat with a massive amount of water.

Last edited:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If they are hard to insert, take out, or lock due to not fully seating then they need rebuilt.

MLo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was able to get it locked in place after scrubbing the clamps and the grooves it clamps into. Took some man power.

Thanks for the advice.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I lost an engine due to what you’re describing. (Plug is hard to secure, blows out, fills hull) I agree with all the solutions. (Make sure hose clamps are securing the tubes around the very top and bottom of the black tubes, clean grooves, add EZ locks) The only thing I might add is before you include the EZ locks step, give the plug three good tugs to make sure they’re secure on their own. Also, I have found that when inserting the plugs, I put the plug in place at the bottom of the tube and before I try to secure the dogs I pour a little water around the edges to lube the gasket. It goes in everytime. (I’ll never go out again without the EZ Locks. Also installed a high water alarm as a back up.)

Shipbuilder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had this happen to me today at Lake Havasu. Prior to the trip I had cleaned and lubricated both plugs and the tubes. I launched the boat and drove a short distance and everything seemed fine. When I stopped I noticed that I did not have cooling from the tell tell for the stbd engine. I stopped and started it but nothing. I limped back to the dock on one engine and when I checked the Stbd plug was all the way at the top of the tube. The dogs were still extended so I assume I did not have it all the way down. I thing I need a small 1" dowel for tapping them in to be sure they are all the way in. the bilge pump did start in auto before I checked the engine compartment but it only ran for a minute and when I checked there was just a tiny bit of water in the bottom. I re-inserted the plug and drove the boat for the next couple of hours with no issue.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had this happen to me today at Lake Havasu. Prior to the trip I had cleaned and lubricated both plugs and the tubes. I launched the boat and drove a short distance and everything seemed fine. When I stopped I noticed that I did not have cooling from the tell tell for the stbd engine. I stopped and started it but nothing. I limped back to the dock on one engine and when I checked the Stbd plug was all the way at the top of the tube. The dogs were still extended so I assume I did not have it all the way down. I thing I need a small 1" dowel for tapping them in to be sure they are all the way in. the bilge pump did start in auto before I checked the engine compartment but it only ran for a minute and when I checked there was just a tiny bit of water in the bottom. I re-inserted the plug and drove the boat for the next couple of hours with no issue.
Glad you caught it in time. I highly recommend EZLocks. $15 or so.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other