• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Clean Out Plugs Don't Twist

You do realize that in this pic you do not have the plug set correctly right? See the SET with the arrow ? That needs to be lined up with the small black plastic arrow on the right side of the picture. If you do not have these lined up correctly the plug top will not twist.

Hold the black plastic base with your left hand, and then rotate the handle counter clockwise to line them up before inserting.

EF179DC3-A960-415F-8FD1-9931A2137492.jpeg

Yes thank you I am aware. I took a picture of the plug in both positions to demonstrate how it twists with no problem when not seated.

the plugs seat perfectly and springs a bit as designed. Just wont lock after seated.

I used the biggest adjustable wrench I had (a bigger than average wrench I have a lot of tools), opened it wide and put a metal socket extendernder through the hole at the top of the handle for leverage and twisted them open. Did the cleanup job that was needed then lubed up with pool/spa O-ring lube sealant and reset.

This post from your past thread - is this the same plug you're having issues with?

Yes. When I mentioned the grease related to last season’s trouble shooting it was this situation. Got any ideas?

I went back and looked at the pics from this years thread on this as well as the old post you had. Seems to me you used the tool to extract them, put some lube on them, and used the tool to put them back in.. this is far from how these plugs should operate, they should operate easily with one hand. Again, looking at the pictures the seal skirt has kinks in it, so there is an issue with the seals and they need to be replaced at the very least to eliminate old seals as a possible issue.

As Mycroft Holmes said so Sherlock, “Remember what father said Shirley, when everything plausible has been eliminated, whatever remains, however implausible, has to be the answer.

So, get a couple of rebuild kits and rebuild both plugs to start with. If that doesn’t solve it take it to the Yamaha dealer and have it sorted correctly.

As a bit of a warning, if you keep using a tool to open and close these plugs with, and judging by the marks its a lot of force, you run the risk of breaking the handles off and then you will have a very difficult situation on your hands. Also, as you mentioned in last years post, if you get some debris sucked up into the pumps you need to be able to pull the plugs easily on the water to clear the debris.

Last edited:
I went back and looked at the pics from this years thread on this as well as the old post you had. Seems to me you used the tool to extract them, put some lube on them, and used the tool to put them back in.. this is far from how these plugs should operate, they should operate easily with one hand. Again, looking at the pictures the seal skirt has kinks in it, so there is an issue with the seals and they need to be replaced at the very least to eliminate old seals as a possible issue.

As Mycroft Holmes said so Sherlock, “Remember what father said Shirley, when everything plausible has been eliminated, whatever remains, however implausible, has to be the answer.

So, get a couple of rebuild kits and rebuild both plugs to start with. If that doesn’t solve it take it to the Yamaha dealer and have it sorted correctly.

As a bit of a warning, if you keep using a tool to open and close these plugs with, and judging by the marks its a lot of force, you run the risk of breaking the handles off and then you will have a very difficult situation on your hands. Also, as you mentioned in last years post, if you get some debris sucked up into the pumps you need to be able to pull the plugs easily on the water to clear the debris.

thank you again. Rebuild kit being ordered this afternoon.

Try this go to the hardware store and purchase a bees wax toilet base gasket, take the bees wax and rub it all over the surfaces of the gasket and the clean out plug and see how that works for you. I have used that in marine use for about 4 decades even coated the rubber water pump impellers in the outboard engines so they lasted a lot longer and put it on bolts that would go through aluminum to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion especially in salt water.

Any progress?

Back