• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plugs

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So...when a clean out plug hasn't been removed, well, ever, and your boat is almost 4 years old, they look kinda like this:

1.jpg

I searched a bunch finding all the various methods of removing a stuck plug, and it just about scared the shit out of me. Well, I'm not sure it could've been any easier to be honest. I grabbed a spare dock line, and used the pre-looped end. Stuck it around the handle of the plug (after pushing in the release button), and then went looking for a praybar and a piece of wood. Of course, couldn't find one...but I have a 3 ton floor jack, with an oh-so-conveniently padded handle. It's about 4' long, so plenty of leverage. I had to put a good bit of weight on the end of it, but they both came out relatively drama-free.

2.jpg

And, as you can imagine, they look like new! Ish. Ok. Maybe they look like complete ass.

3.jpg

And of course, the tubes don't look much better...

4.jpg

So, obvious rebuild needed. Just so happens I like to plan ahead for stuff like this and had 2 kits ready to go.

7.jpg

Disassembly is easy enough. Remove 8 phillips head screws around the top

5.jpg

And then just pull the 2 halves apart

6.jpg

Now, the stench is just awful. Mine are now soaking in some mystery solution my wife concocted until tomorrow. Then I'll install the new parts, the Cobra EZ-locks, clean the tubes and reinstall. More pics to come then.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ouch! You gotta pull them every time you come in. A little On/Off will clean up that nastiness if you weren't successful already.

I'll give a thumbs up for drinking a good beer. ;)

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, I plan on it everytime I go out. I can't believe the PO never pulled them. There again, I can't believe he only put 17 hours on in 4 years either.

Worst thing about this job...I didn't even finish one beer getting this far! I'm sure I'll have much better luck with that Sunday... got a whole lot more lined up.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just be glad you got them to pop out. Those looked pretty gnarly...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, those are the worst plugs I have ever seen!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Note to self:

Self. If you're playing with your disassembled clean out plugs to see how they work, don't play with the release button or you'll be hunting all over the garage for a spring that can fly REALLY far.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Note to self:

Self. If you're playing with your disassembled clean out plugs to see how they work, don't play with the release button or you'll be hunting all over the garage for a spring that can fly REALLY far.
I was just scrolling down from your 1 beer comment to say to keep those plugs in plastic bags while you have them taken apart or risk it becoming a 12 pack over 4 days job. :)

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Nice write up....good luck with the rebuild.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This would have been a good time to install the Tru-Locks from jetboatpilot.com. They correct the design issues with the internals that can cause them to release. The cobra locks do the job but they don't address the real problem.

You've gotta pop them out regularly. Just lay them crossways to dry over the hole. BUT, beware, they will drop in upside down and be hard to get ahold of.....ask me how I know this.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is a great write-up and a good reminder to everyone about plug maintenance. The plugs look real bad and it looks like the PO boated in the bayou. I am jealous that you are working on the boat and drinking Yuengling's.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yeah, I plan on it everytime I go out. I can't believe the PO never pulled them. There again, I can't believe he only put 17 hours on in 4 years either.

Worst thing about this job...I didn't even finish one beer getting this far! I'm sure I'll have much better luck with that Sunday... got a whole lot more lined up.
This time of year you go through less beer because you're so eager to get on the boat that you forget to drink it and keep working on it!

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow!

What is on off to remove the crud?

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It appears the PO was one of those who cared more for fun then the effort required to maintain the boat.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I pull mine out and lay them next to the hole, leaving the tray open.

Turns out it is really hard (!) to start the engines with the tray open, which means I never again try to take off with the plugs sitting in the holes unlocked... One time was too many.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@tdonoughue

I do it the same way.....for the same reason as you.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Left these things soaking for almost 2 days, and I've come to the conclusion they'll never look new again. I also finished this at the end of the day, after many, many beers, so pictures suffered.

Here they are assembled with the new rebuilt kits (kit is just the lower half and the rubber gasket):

1.jpg

Here's where you drill the hole for the EZ-locks:

2.jpg

EZ locks installed:
3.jpg

And finally, tubes scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. And rebuilt plugs installed with locks:

4 (1).jpg

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Looks good....Sooo much better. Bet it smells better too.