• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Close to pulling the trigger on an FSH Sport, any tips?

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I do like my 190 FSH, but it is a fairly new model and you have to be careful...
There are many little bugs that Yamaha hasn't fixed on the production line yet. I would read this whole forum carefully so you know what your getting into.
I myself had some quality control issues. Luckily they are being corrected by Yamaha, but its been a hassle. Read my topics.
Make sure you look over the boat VERY carefully. Point out issues and get them corrected before you buy.
Remember, there is no such thing as a new "perfect" boat. Its not a car so don't assume its perfect off of the assembly line.

For $30k, you are not going to get more value IMO. One member here hated his FSH, sold it within months and bought a $70k offshore boat and then continues to troll this jetboat site to show off his new boat. Thats not a very fair comparison... I myself cannot afford a $70k boat.
My FSH gets me in the game. Yamaha financing is incredible too. It definitely helped my make my decision.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, the pricing of FSH is a bit tricky, it is easy to hit 40k or go above with some options that seem more like necessities. At that point, there is a lot of other offerings.

My first Yammie was a 19fter. I considered it an experiment, and it was very successful. There simply are not that many boats in that size category that can be so crazy versatile. I had to move up a size (w/my family of 6) but I do miss the 190 a bunch. That said, for me the biggest difference with my current 24ft Yammie is - in a battle between my strength and the boat, the 24ft boat is always going to win. On the contrary, with a smaller boat like a 190/FSH you can still push it around a dock or your driveway and have a chance of doing something with it. Which can be pretty darn convenient!

@Nctinter, here is another thought/consideration that I believe is often lost from the conversations about Yamaha boats and motors:
There is NO COMPARISON in the built quality of Yamaha outboards vs inboard (jet) engines. (With the o/bs being way-way more refined!) Not entirely surprising given an outboard Yamaha motor can cost as much as a Yamaha jet boat. And that outboard will be about 10 fold quieter delivering twice the power...
Both share extreme reliability though.

--

Nctinter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@swatski great point about the motor comparison. And yeah this boat with all the accessories we want to add after all the juice will be pushing 40k. So I think I need to go back to examining what exactly we hope to get out off a boat. For one it will probably never see fresh water. There will be no skiing or wake boarding behind it. It will be in a high and dry. Primarily used for island hopping and fishing. I'd like to have some range so I can take it from Tarpon to Anna Maria with little concern. Love Yamaha outboards but the fact that there isn't a motor sticking out the back is a big plus for the wife. I really don't know if that's a big deal for me but it is nice being empty back there. Everyone has made some excellent points on all aspects and I really do appreciate it. No such thing as a perfect boat is a great piece of advice

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski great point about the motor comparison. And yeah this boat with all the accessories we want to add after all the juice will be pushing 40k. So I think I need to go back to examining what exactly we hope to get out off a boat. For one it will probably never see fresh water. There will be no skiing or wake boarding behind it. It will be in a high and dry. Primarily used for island hopping and fishing. I'd like to have some range so I can take it from Tarpon to Anna Maria with little concern. Love Yamaha outboards but the fact that there isn't a motor sticking out the back is a big plus for the wife. I really don't know if that's a big deal for me but it is nice being empty back there. Everyone has made some excellent points on all aspects and I really do appreciate it. No such thing as a perfect boat is a great piece of advice
Now we are talking! As far as island hopping - I can hardly think of a better setup that a Yammie 19. Several crossed to Bimini last year in some solid 2+ft seas, and handled it fine.
But I tell you, gliding over shallows -- in 1ft of water -- without worrying about it - that is priceless!

The noise may surprise you though, so make sure you guys are comfortable with that -- my 0.02.

--

Nctinter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I hate the idea of it being loud. A friend wanted to sell me his used Angler which is in immaculate condition but it has a 2 stroke mercury and it is horribly loud. Is it loud at low speeds? Been a while since I've been on a jetski but I imagine that loud

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hate the idea of it being loud. A friend wanted to sell me his used Angler which is in immaculate condition but it has a 2 stroke mercury and it is horribly loud. Is it loud at low speeds? Been a while since I've been on a jetski but I imagine that loud
Those are not as ear piercing as some older 2-strokers, but still high-revving engines, even the 1.8l that come with the FSH. So you would be cruising at 6,500 RPM..., and so on, nothing really happens under 3,000-3,500 RPM.
There are ways to deaden the sound, but you will never make it completely quiet post-production. Part of the price of those boats being incredibly light (and therefore very trailer-able) is the fiberglass (FRP) is very thin, and there are large voids throughout the boat that resonate like an acoustic guitar body.
It is not just the Yamaha though, even Chaps and Scarabs are scary loud. In those direct drive boats, all of the drivetrain components are above the boats bottom and water line at speed, including the pump itself.

I find that some of it is really very subjective. There are people that will just not stand it, and others who do not mind at all.

--

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@Tonkatoy I only ask that you have your facts straight before you make statements.

My boat was not $70k

I do not troll this site to "show off" my new boat.

I was asked by other members to continue to post pictures of fishing which is what I do.

I only post comments when others ask for opinions.

Your free to disagree with my opinion and reference me as "One member" but please don't make inaccurate statements when doing so!

Thanks Buddy! ;):thumbsup:

(Sorry if @190 fsh is butt hurt) :(
Lol

CAT Chaser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would say Clemson gives an honest opinion of his experience. The boat was obviously WAY to small for his use. Comparing the FSH to his new boat is comparing grapes to coconuts. For what you say you will be using it for it is great. I would love to say that I will be using it for fishing. For me less than 15% of the time. Mine is island hopping mostly. Getting on/off is paramount and what has basically sold me on the boat. I can pull it to shore shallow enough to step on the back with ease. I would love nothing more than to have a Pathfinder, Pioneer, Key West bay boat. You might find these in the 20' range but not in the price range with trailer, t-top, sea deck etc. If price is no issue that's one thing. Most of us that buy a 19-20 foot boat price is some sort of an issue. Not saying we cant afford a boat. I personally just do not want to carry a $500 - $600 payment. My boat is less than $300 per month and I financed 100% of $40,000. Also yearly maintenance savings is a big factor. I bet Clemsons storage fee above the 19'range, gas and engine maintenance is more than my boat payment per month. A 22' boat in high and dry storage is @ $40.00 month more in storage. I guess what I am saying is that you can over buy a boat for its use. Clemson under bought at first. If I bought the Pioneer, it would have been more boat than I would honestly use it for......For now at least. You are welcome to call me or even stop and look at mine in the driveway if you want. You could probably walk over to my house if you are in Trinity....

CAT Chaser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nice to be young...lol. Stay single my friends......

Nctinter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think like Clemson I will probably want to upgrade after this boat but I think it'll make a good first boat. I think that's how it goes for most folks. I'm like you Cat chaser, could go out and get a big payment boat but I usually end up trying to justify everything I buy. When I was younger I never did. Whatever car I wanted I'd go buy. I think differently now. I have 3 cars with over 200k miles on them lol. I see a boat as a total luxury and have avoided buying one for the last 10 years. Mainly because I weighed the cost vs. times I'd actually have the time to take it out and of course the maintenance. But my woman is convinced we'd get a lot of use out of it now and I'm excited too.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If I had the greens to buy a Seehunt 225 Triton, I wouldn't be sporting around in the FSH. With that fact said, I really like the 190 FSH. The layout, the dash, the porta potty changing room that most 19'ers lack, the rear swim platform. I looked until my eyes hurt and kept coming back to the FSH. Ours only seems excessively loud at around 5k rpm when we're plowing water rather than low wake 3500 10~mph or 6k rpm cruise at 25~mph on plane. The 225 Triton with 250hp Yamaha is unusually quiet and smooth even in 2' seas running slow, plowing or on plane. The FSH does ok in less than 2' seas at 6k rpm 25~mph. I don't like pounding the waves be it 3'ers in the Triton or 2'ers in the FSH so keeping the speed just on plane usually makes me happy. I also have a soft spot for the Mako 214cc. I really like our 190FSH but, if the funds were there for a Seahunt or Mako...

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Its been described and compared well here already. Ditto to almost everything said so far. Unless money is no object and you can purchase five dedicated use boats, the FSH190 was the best compromise I could find. It does no one activity perfect but it does everything I was looking to do really really well. Is fit and finish Scout or Yellow Fin quality? No, but for $30k I knew better. It can and will get over $40k with all of your toys installed. You can negotiate with your dealer(s). I drove an extra 2 hours away to save $2k and get all my goodies installed. Local stealership wanted a $2k "shipping and handling" b.s. fee and did not want to install or order my accessories rolled into the sale. That mistake cost them $42k. Test drive one first. They are loud, get crappy gas mileage and are interesting to pilot at low speeds with current and wind. But I wouldn't trade mine for anything else on the market. Best bang for the buck. Good luck.

CAT Chaser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If I didn't mind the payment I would have a 24-25 CC Pioneer or a Pathfinder, Key West or Avenger bay boat in that range. Truth is some boats that size don't have all of the amenities this one has at 19'. I'm sure Ill out grow it in a few years. Weather permitting we can go for a ride during the week, let me know. Always looking for an excuse to go for a ride.

Nctinter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My friend has had 2 Pathfinders and they were both the best riding boat I've been on in the 22 to 25 ft range. That being said it is too much of a fishing boat. I felt like I had to be a tournament fisherman to be on it. Beautiful boats though,amazing quality. I can't wait to get on a sea trial with the fsh. I will however still be visiting some other dealers to compare. @CAT Chaser thanks for the offer man. I might just take you up on that.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do like my 190 FSH, but it is a fairly new model and you have to be careful...
There are many little bugs that Yamaha hasn't fixed on the production line yet. I would read this whole forum carefully so you know what your getting into.
I myself had some quality control issues. Luckily they are being corrected by Yamaha, but its been a hassle. Read my topics.
Make sure you look over the boat VERY carefully. Point out issues and get them corrected before you buy.
Remember, there is no such thing as a new "perfect" boat. Its not a car so don't assume its perfect off of the assembly line.

For $30k, you are not going to get more value IMO. One member here hated his FSH, sold it within months and bought a $70k offshore boat and then continues to troll this jetboat site to show off his new boat. Thats not a very fair comparison... I myself cannot afford a $70k boat.
My FSH gets me in the game. Yamaha financing is incredible too. It definitely helped my make my decision.
@Tonkatoy, I hope that you were joking when you made the troll comment. Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone is joking or being serious.

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Corey I also live in Trinity. Do you trailer your boat or have it at a marina?
I trailer it... It stays comfy in my garage! Easy access! Load and go! Where you live in Trinity? I live in Fairway Springs next to Longleaf.

Nctinter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I trailer it... It stays comfy in my garage! Easy access! Load and go! Where you live in Trinity? I live in Fairway Springs next to Longleaf.
Right next door to you in Ellington

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One member here hated his FSH, sold it within months and bought a $70k offshore boat and then continues to troll this jetboat site to show off his new boat.
Clemson Tiger is not "trolling" this site....he is a valuable and welcome member. As another member said....it is hard to determine tone from text...lets assume you were being tongue in cheek.

I do not troll this site to "show off" my new boat.
We welcome your posts and input on the site.

Although we are clearly a Jetboat focused site, we welcome boaters in general, and I feel that having boaters from the other types of propulsion actually helps us get a better balance on the pros and cons of them. Lets all keep things positive especially with regards to how we treat each other. It is a fundamental founding operating principle we try to encourage.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Clemson Tiger is not "trolling" this site....he is a valuable and welcome member. As another member said....it is hard to determine tone from text...lets assume you were being tongue in cheek.

We welcome your posts and input on the site.

Although we are clearly a Jetboat focused site, we welcome boaters in general, and I feel that having boaters from the other types of propulsion actually helps us get a better balance on the pros and cons of them. Lets all keep things positive especially with regards to how we treat each other. It is a fundamental founding operating principle we try to encourage.
Well I certainly didn't want to take this post off topic...
I suppose I let my dry humor and exaggeration get a bit "salty"
Apologies

CAT Chaser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am in Thousand Oaks....I know there are a few...off Trinity and Little....