• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Comment on my tool selection for clearing debris/rope around shaft/impeller

Berberman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never sucked up a rope, but I carry a utility knife on the boat just incase. I assume with some time and patience this would work?
I've also seen many mention long pliers...I asume to be able to reach debris through the nozzle? Amazon has 11" ones that seem like they would do? Any advise welcome.

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 15.12.35.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 15.12.51.png

I can tell you from first-hand experience two weeks ago (my first rope suck) that you're going to want more blade than a utility knife can offer. I had a flip-out style utility knife on board but the inch or so of cutting surface was nowhere near enough to get the job done (had to limp back on one engine).

I purchased one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J690VE. Inexpensive, has a tanto point blade for cutting at different angles, a rope cutter in the handle to hook and cut a smaller line (e.g. wakeboard rope), and a serrated portion to chew through bigger stuff (part of the rope I sucked up also had foam around it). I'm hoping this does a better job the next time I need it.

Never sucked up a rope, but I carry a utility knife on the boat just incase. I assume with some time and patience this would work?
I've also seen many mention long pliers...I asume to be able to reach debris through the nozzle? Amazon has 11" ones that seem like they would do? Any advise welcome.

View attachment 179836
View attachment 179837
For cutting rope off your shaft you want hook blades in that utility knife....I keep a pack of 20 in my tool box!

1654549827151.png

that way you can just pull the tip along the shaft and clear it off much easier! Can whittle wood down with it too.

The other reason I like the hook blades is that when I run across someone trying to cut a rope loose, they often already have a utility knife, and all I need to do is give them one of my hook blades and they are off to the races. And I don't need to give them an expensive knife and wait for them to give it back or drop it in the lake. I've done this once with a Jetski on Falls lake. Heck...even if they have no utility knife and I give them mine...its cheap.

Serrated steak knife is my tool of choice

Back