• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Comments and Suggestions for Factory Yamaha

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it's obvious that the guys in R&D at Factory Yamaha pay attention to these forums and the consumers. Why not just create an ongoing thread that addresses what we Yamaha owners would like to see changed in future models.

I will start with Noise. Many have stated that the noise can be reduced by installing noise reducing mating inside the engine compartment and installing better seals around the engine hatch. Should we have to make this a mod? Hell No. Yamaha has supposedly addressed the issue with the 2015 models, but from the initial reviews the noise is still pretty loud. I think they can do better. If they want me to trade my 2010 on a newer model this is one issue I will want fixed. And I should not have to make this a mod and self perform the labor. Better materials and baffeling could be used during production to resolve this issue. Or perhaps, new engines with higher torque that run at lower rpm with larger pumps???

In a perfect world I shouldn't have to drive 4+ hours to get to the river just to ride around in my boat.

So, I'd like Yamaha to move the Colorado River closer to the beach. And then that way I could take turns driving around in the river and the ocean. That would be nice.

So, get on that Yamaha. Would ya? :cool:

(but if you can't do that, I'd be fine with a bow mounted anchor in a hidden compartment with an electric winch. That way I wouldn't have to deal with pulling the anchor out of storage, dropping it, running back to the wheel to set it, tie it off, etc. And pulling anchor would be so much easier and I wouldn't have to touch all the yucky stuff from the bottom.)

Yamaha to get serious about a wake sport boat. I know that there is liability but a purpose built jet wake boat would be awesome!! The demand is there and they already have the safety issues kicked with the jet. I would be happy to talk with Yamaha about this in person as well.

I second @BigN8. My 2015 AR192 is LOUD and I personally, can not wait to do some sort of sound deadening material to offset that. The material from the factory seems very cheap, thin, and obviously doesnt work appropriately.

Another point, which isnt directly with Yamaha. With a good majority of their models coming with black hulls or at least some color other than white, maybe Yamaha can make a deal with the manufacturer of the trailers and include a better bow roller. Mine had scratches on it before it ever left the truck.

Let's see!

1. a dedicated wakeboat with 3 zone ballasts and a wake shaping device. If that did happen - it would immediately start a war between me and my financial advisor (the wife)
2. any boat that's equipped with a tower should come with a damn nav light up top. Not including 1 is a COMPLETE brain fart.
3. optional navigation options
4. lose the stickers. Graphics should be in the gelcoat.
5. boats should come with 4 cockpit speakers and 2 bow speakers for a total of 6 inboats. I added 2 more in my cockpit, and the difference is amazing.
6. optional board racks
7. optional wheel choices for the trailer
8. more interior lighting. The 1 or 2 included courtesy lights are a joke.
9. optional carpet/SeaDek/Deckadence choices.
10. more gel coat color choices.

That's all for now. I'm sure I can come up with more.

Going against the grain a bit...

I want Yamaha to maintain a good value proposition.
If I wanted (and could afford) a Cobalt, I would buy one.
I will not be buying a $100,000 runabout from any manufacturer. Ever.

Like a SEPARATE QUALITY manual JUST for the new 2015 CONNEXT system !!!!!!

Going against the grain a bit...

I want Yamaha to maintain a good value proposition.
If I wanted (and could afford) a Cobalt, I would buy one.
I will not be buying a $100,000 runabout from any manufacturer. Ever.

There's a Cobalt/Nautique/Malibu dealer right down the road from me. Cobalts aren't a $100k - yeah - maybe some of their BIG ones are. The 200 line is in the high 30's to mid 40's, the 220 line is from high 40's to mid 50's and so on. They have a beautiful loaded 220 WSS (Water Sports Series) right now for $65k and a big 27'er for like $80k .I strongly considered 1. After all my mods (and we're never really done with mods - are we?), my 212X cost is hovering right around $60k, maybe a wee bit less. At $60k - we could've pretty much bought any type of boat I wanted, but the layout and the lack of props won us over.

1. Wake surfing model for sure!
  2. Allow the addition of Perfect pass to the new touch screens
  3. Multiple charging and phone storage points (this should be easy!)
  4. Clean out ports with "dogs" that engage more than 1/4"! Something positively "lockable"...lets end this plug blow out discussion!

@BigN8 From what I can see on Boattest.com, the noise issue has been taken care of. I only looked at one comparison model (a 24' Cobalt), but the new 24' Yamaha is quieter than it....

One thing to keep in mind (besides this just being my opinion) is that Yamaha has great pricing due to the fact that they don't have, for example, multiple color schemes to choose from. This keeps their cost down which keeps OUR cost down. I think that all the things everyone has mentioned so far are fantastic ideas but the more important question is will you pay the NEW boat pricing with these options?? Yamaha having a quality product and a reasonable price for me is one of the best features to me. ;)

One thing to keep in mind (besides this just being my opinion) is that Yamaha has great pricing due to the fact that they don't have, for example, multiple color schemes to choose from. This keeps their cost down which keeps OUR cost down. I think that all the things everyone has mentioned so far are fantastic ideas but the more important question is will you pay the NEW boat pricing with these options?? Yamaha having a quality product and a reasonable price for me is one of the best features to me. ;)

As I've said many times - I don't consider Yamaha boats to be the "bargain" boat people keep referring to. Maybe at 1 time yes. And of course some models are more of a bargain than others. My 212x has run me up to $60k -($53k after taxes and another $5500-$6000 in stuff) but that's because of me and my mods - we mod these boats cause they don't come with options that I/we want. But lets look at the current 242 Limited S - it's $62k before anything. Before galvanized trailer, before taxes - so it's safe to assume that she'll run you $65k OTD, assuming you don't get caught up in modding her. . And we all know that there is not a lot of wiggle room in Yamaha's MSRP, if any depending on where you buy and when. When I purchased my Yamaha, I had narrowed it down to 2 contenders - my Yamaha 212x and a Bryant 233x. The Bryant 233x's MSRP was $80k - but a little negotiating and dealer discounts, final price was $63k. With that $63k, I chose color, graphics, interior colors, carpet colors, wake tower arch color, Perfect Pass, stereo options, trailer color, trailer wheels - it was loaded - right from the factory, all covered under 1 warranty. But I still chose the Yamaha because of the layout and the jet propulsion - I didn't want another I/O.

What I didn't consider at the time was a true dedicated wakeboat. I was under the impression that they would all cost $90k and up. I was wrong. 1 of our local dealers took on the Ski Supreme lineup last summer. A fully loaded V226 is around $65k. If I had seen those, chances are I would've bought it.

Last edited:
Oh I remember another suggestion - 1 that kills me.

How about an easily accessible battery switch? I absolutely hate where that switch is located. I'd love to see in the closet.

@octavio3311 I understand your point but I don't think that all your mods are something that average Yamaha consumer may want or could afford. If they could, like you said, many other boats would be a more reasonable purchase possibly. Now maybe if Yamaha came out with a third 21' class at 60-70K with all the bells and whistles rather then loading up a 212X and jacking the price up then I could understand it (although I still don't think that would be a smart business move for Yamaha). Seeing it from a Yamaha standpoint though I think that the average consumer may not be as apt to buy it. Even though Yamaha provides the basics with few options they make sure what they do give is of quality. Your 212X has cost you 60K+ because of the mods that YOU chose to put in it, honestly mine was 49K OTD and maybe I will mod but now I have the option to add mods as I can afford it and as I choose to which honestly isn't it kind of enjoyable to look forward to a new mod that can transform your toy(s) year to year? That's all I was saying, hope you didn't take my comment as a slam at you @octavio3311 because it wasn't at all. With that being said, I sounds like an awesome boat you have put together! :)

Last edited:
@Belleville_Boater. To an extent, I agree. The color options, not so much. This is just a different color and different graphics. This is pocket change at the end of the assembly line. It doesnt upset me that they dont have different options bc the ones they have look amazing.

Also, the smaller features, I do have a complaint. The navigation light not being mounted on the tower looks cheap and should be standard. On my boat, one very small courtesy light above the throttle having its own designated Courtesy Light switch seems stupid and just begs the question "why didnt they add more, if they had a designated courtesy light switch?" Also, the anchor cubby up front is too small. I know they have a "anchor mounting system" but you have to buy a very specific anchor in order to fit. One word, DUMB.

I would like to see Yamaha at least OFFER a closed cooling system. Especially for all the salt water customers. Im sure they would chime in. Rotax does it so why can Yamaha? I never take mine into salt water but would love the added assurance during the winterixzing process.

@Belleville_Boater. To an extent, I agree. The color options, not so much. This is just a different color and different graphics. This is pocket change at the end of the assembly line. It doesnt upset me that they dont have different options bc the ones they have look amazing.

Also, the smaller features, I do have a complaint. The navigation light not being mounted on the tower looks cheap and should be standard. On my boat, one very small courtesy light above the throttle having its own designated Courtesy Light switch seems stupid and just begs the question "why didnt they add more, if they had a designated courtesy light switch?" Also, the anchor cubby up front is too small. I know they have a "anchor mounting system" but you have to buy a very specific anchor in order to fit. One word, DUMB.

I would like to see Yamaha at least OFFER a closed cooling system. Especially for all the salt water customers. Im sure they would chime in. Rotax does it so why can Yamaha? I never take mine into salt water but would love the added assurance during the winterixzing process.
I can agree with you on this, anything that seems kind of 'shotty' that could have been done better or maybe a different location is something I can completely see making it to the list. It's not asking for an add-on but just a better design. The cost of a design change is much cheaper in the grand scheme then the cost of an add-on for each boat manufactured. The tower nav light change although it's both a design change and add-on I think is a fantastic idea that really can't imagine would be a major ticket item to Yamaha to add.

Oh I remember another suggestion - 1 that kills me.

How about an easily accessible battery switch? I absolutely hate where that switch is located. I'd love to see in the closet.
I second this, great suggestion! :thumbsup:

@Belleville_Boater - I didn't take what you said as a slam - absolutely not - never. And I completely agree with what you're saying - It is my choice to mod the boat up. And I understand some boaters aren't concerned with modding anything, just put gas and go.
All I'm saying is - it would be nice to have options. To pick and choose your options, or choose no options - should be an option.

So what you're saying is the option of having options as an option should always be an option?

You can never have too many options.....:p

Back