• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Compartment Drain Plugs?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Julian , again, just another one of the many scenarios you can face. I have read of a few that have blown a plug and filled the bilge, but it stopped once the engines stopped. I have not read of a single post where the bottom of the clean out tube was completely dislodged, and the water was flooding into the boat via that opening and sinking or attempting to sink the boat. You may know of an instance and have record of it, if so, I would love to read it! Most of the time, these blowouts that have been documented as damaging to the engines or flooding the boat, have indeed forced water past the clean out tubes into the bilge and filled the engine compartment...while the boat continued to move. But the ones I have read about, stopped flooding once the boat was stopped. Again, I repeat, I have not read of any that have had the potential to sink the boat. And that absolutely doesn't mean that it hasn't happened or that it hasn't been written or posted even...it just means I haven't read it, but I would love to if you know of documentation of that scenario. Should I go back and alter my post to conclude that in certain situations that a plug blowout may break the seal of the clean out tube below the waterline of the boat, and could possibly open a 6" hole in the bottom to sink it? Yes, that could happen, but even my wordy post didn't describe all scenarios, just most. I have read many posts of a plug lodging in the tube sideways and water being forced out under the tube and flooding the boat. But again, when the boat was stopped, so was the flooding, in most cases.

I agree that the clean out plugs leave something to be desired. But hell, airbags in your car leave something to be desired too. Does that mean that they are flawed? They can deploy at times when you don't want them to, they can blind you, they can break bones in your face, they can kill a child. I am not arguing this, just pointing out that some wording might be changed to be more appropriate, other than flawed. I also believe that the plugs have issues locking and not blowing out and that Yamaha could possibly fix this. I suspect they have tried to revise the plugs, but don't know. It wasn't long ago, that they denied all claims relating to them stating...operator installation error. Maybe one day we will have a clean out plug or clean out system that won't ever flood or blow out. Until then, I would choose to use it the way it was designed, and attempt to share the "why's and why nots" with the group.

I think all of this just comes right back to what we have known for years and how we have adapted to limit the possibilities of having one of these events happen to us. Let me be clear on how I would handle these situations. First off, clean out plug blowout can be reduced 99.9% by installing EZ Locks. And the bilge pump that is installed stock from Yamaha handles "most" situations you will encounter that are not catastrophic in nature. And if you have a castrophy, even a bigger or secondary pump isn't going to cover all catastrophes. Just do what makes you sleep better at night and feel secure guys. It isn't about being right for me, it is about educating all of us as best possible to enjoy these boats...and yes, I don't have one currently, but I love them, and enjoy sharing that with all of you!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I think we should start a new thread: Radio On or Radio Off? :jawdrop:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@txav8r Yes I've read 2 posts about this happening as I described. They are on that other site that I am blocked from accessing and I refuse to bother launching my IP switching VPN tool to go troll to find the posts there- don't get me going about his A#$holiness over there. When I'm in a better mood I might find them - but suffice to say it has happened, and I can clearly see how easy it would be to have happen. In all the scenarios where a blow out results in you taking on water, the water is coming though a gap in the large exhaust hose that is held to the pump with a clamp. This doesn't fix itself when the pressure is removed, the hose is blown off (partially) and the clamp is off. So stopping the engines WILL reduce the flow for sure....but if the hose is blown well off, then as you say, you have a LARGE hole in your boat! :eek:

@Zarrella Stripper pole in place, radio on. Stripper pole not in place....put it in!

Great discussion non-the-less!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those rear manholes are really in there. If they are properly installed with a good, tight clamp and large amounts of silicone like it comes from the factory they are hard to get out of there. If they have been taken out and not sealed back in properly then they could come out...or the exhaust hose could rip. Either way, if the plug blows and pulls the tube loose and you have the plugs closed then you send everyone to the front of the boat to get the teeter-totter effect and get that port out of the water until you can reinstall the drain plug and wait for the bilge pump to catch up. You could then idle to the launch and get your boat on the trailer and get it dry then fix it. If you have the plugs open the boat is going to sink evenly and panic everyone while making you have to wait for the bilge pump to remove all of that water before you can get idling back to the trailer.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A much better design from Yamaha would be to extend the metal of the cleanout up a foot, or all the way to the hatch to prevent this
I will have to confirm this next time I'm out on the water. But I'm pretty sure when I remove a cleanout plug while on the water (calm water), the water level is only up to the top of the metal ring and not up inside the rubber part of the tube (not counting waves and splashing)

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think your right @maboat , but I don't have a boat to confirm this any more. I will say in point of discussion previously, when I di d have my boat, I have hotfooted it out to the barn, pulled the boat out and dropped it in the lake 10 minutes later to confirm such theories. Another reason to get another damn boat! :banghead: I too think that the level of the water is not "up in the tube" but only inside the aluminum neck of the clean out or possibly equal to the top of the neck. In either case, water would slosh into the bilge with the movement and bobbing of the boat. When I have removed my clean out plugs on the water, I can't remember it being up the tube itself farther than the locking ring on the aluminum, not up on the rubber.

In any event, I want to see it.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think your right @maboat , but I don't have a boat to confirm this any more. I will say in point of discussion previously, when I di d have my boat, I have hotfooted it out to the barn, pulled the boat out and dropped it in the lake 10 minutes later to confirm such theories. Another reason to get another damn boat! :banghead: I too think that the level of the water is not "up in the tube" but only inside the aluminum neck of the clean out or possibly equal to the top of the neck. In either case, water would slosh into the bilge with the movement and bobbing of the boat. When I have removed my clean out plugs on the water, I can't remember it being up the tube itself farther than the locking ring on the aluminum, not up on the rubber.

In any event, I want to see it.
Maybe I can convince The Girl to model the cleanout plug water level this weekend as I take pictures of the situation........

What color bikini goes with plug-hole photography anyway? :cool:

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
uh...invisib?
Maybe I can convince The Girl to model the cleanout plug water level this weekend as I take picture of the situation........

What color bikini goes with plug-hole photography anyway? :cool:
uh...invisible?:winkingthumbsup"

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
With me sanding on the swim deck the water in my tubes at rest is about 1/2" down from the neck. However, in the scenario of discussion, the boat would have already taken on some amount of water and would be sitting somewhat lower. Obviously dependent on how long the operator ran the engine after the blowout.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
So what started out as a simple question by @cane.mba turned into an interesting debate:winkingthumbsup"

I did learn some things and hey we may get to see The Girl in a bikini :)

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
So is it settled??? Leave them in and see a girl in a bikini? Leave them out and see a girl in a bikini??? I am still confused!!!! Which is normal for me, but I do like bikinis....:devilhorns:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Correct, with no extra water ballast, the pump top edge is out of the water. But typically when you have a plug blow and lodge, you notice it for 2 reasons 1) lack of performance and 2) the boat begins to porpoise due to the weight of the water you've taken on - the latter puts the the pump below the water line. And if you have a blow out while running the @trace Wake Surf Edition with ballast full....eek!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The water gets up in the tubes on mine with people in the boat and me on the swim platform looking into the tube. I would say it is right there at the top of the metal (within 1/4") under normal conditions. Added water weight, full tank of gas, etc., could definitely push it down. I have never seen it more than 1/2" above the metal but that is still 1/2" above starting to flow into your boat if the tube somehow failed catastrophically. That said, all you have to do is move everyone to the front of the boat and put the drain plug back in while you wait out the bilge pump.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Assuming you can un-wedge the plug from the tube.
That tube is a lot more flexible when it is not attached at the bottom. Suppose it depends on how warm it is though. Still, with the plugs closed you send everyone to the front of the boat and you can probably get that opening above the water line. I know 4 adults in the bow of my boat gets the swim platform pretty high off the water.

Once the bilge pump removes the water you can relax and fix it even if that means cutting the tube to free the plug...assuming everyone already has a knife on board.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Assuming you can un-wedge the plug from the tube.
It wouldn't be wedged in the tube if you remembered to install your EZ Locks before you took off!:smug:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That tube is a lot more flexible when it is not attached at the bottom. Suppose it depends on how warm it is though. Still, with the plugs closed you send everyone to the front of the boat and you can probably get that opening above the water line. I know 4 adults in the bow of my boat gets the swim platform pretty high off the water.

Once the bilge pump removes the water you can relax and fix it even if that means cutting the tube to free the plug...assuming everyone already has a knife on board.
Of course, if you are all in the bow, then the water drains forward and all except for that that is in the aft engine compartment is isolated from the bilge pump. But...after you let it pump until it won't, just walk back to the stern and let more get to it! This is laughable, but it is what it is.:watching:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It wouldn't be wedged in the tube if you remembered to install your EZ Locks before you took off!:smug:
Except for that pesky blow out that happened with EZ locks in place....but the reality is we've digressed!

Bottom line, compartment plugs in or out isn't going to make much difference to the time it takes you to swamp!