• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

contrasting colors for registration numbers. overthinking?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
So, I need to order my registration numbers soon, so I have them ready to go when the boat comes out of hibernation. In Illinois, like in many states, need block letter/numbers and contrasting color.

So, the area I will be applying the numbers to is blue. Under my rub rail (you can see the area in my picture below).

I am leaning towards chrome numbers. Was driving the car around today and looking at blue cars with chrome pieces on them, and wondering if Chrome is considered contrasting. White would be for sure. I think Chrome would be OK. I know I am overthinking this, but figured I would ask you guys. Chrome on Blue = contrasting ?

thinking of one of these suppliers.
http://shop.domednumbers.com/
http://www.3dlettering.com/premadelettering-2

Last edited:
I think the white would look nice and stand out on the blue.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 74
Chrome would technically be contrasting. I think it would look good.

I used 3D lettering and I think they are awesome. Mine are "chrome" color and outlined in white on a black hull.

Lots of people comment on them due to the raised lettering I suppose.

Either chrome or white will work for contrast. Take your pick. On another note, I purchased a kit from Academy Sports that had transitioning colors in the numbers. I took the boat to Bimini, from Ft. Lauderdale with no issue. Shortly after, I was on my local lake, relaxing, when the local Sheriff pulled by to ask me why my boat didn't have any hull registration numbers. He was obviously bored and was jealous of my beautiful new space blue AR240 (no disrespect intended to law enforcement officers), but long story short, I decided to replace my original reg stickers with ones that had more contrast.

image.png On Blue I think I'd go with a white with gray shading.

I had to look up a photo of mine, I couldn't remember what it looked like. I have to get new ones and think I will go with the same gray with the shading effect.

Either chrome or white will work for contrast. Take your pick. On another note, I purchased a kit from Academy Sports that had transitioning colors in the numbers. I took the boat to Bimini, from Ft. Lauderdale with no issue. Shortly after, I was on my local lake, relaxing, when the local Sheriff pulled by to ask me why my boat didn't have any hull registration numbers. He was obviously bored and was jealous of my beautiful new space blue AR240 (no disrespect intended to law enforcement officers), but long story short, I decided to replace my original reg stickers with ones that had more contrast.
I had the same issue in Wisconsin.....I bought and applied some cool looking reg #s from bass pro that had a color fade...cops didn't like them. Now I just buy plain block letters.

Raised Chrome ones would look nice...where are you looking to get them @BobJohnson ?

I went with chrome and black 3D, but the blue on my hull is lighter than yours. I think a white/chrome would look good on yours.PicsArt_1455500883739.jpg

I had the same issue in Wisconsin.....I bought and applied some cool looking reg #s from bass pro that had a color fade...cops didn't like them. Now I just buy plain block letters.

Raised Chrome ones would look nice...where are you looking to get them @BobJohnson ?

I am leaning towards http://shop.domednumbers.com/product/chaparralchrome They have what appears to be similar font to the Chaparral. I just have to get past the idea that I am spending 60 bucks on numbers. But, seeing how we dropped $80 on dinner tonight, I think I can do 60 on my beloved boat.

I ordered ours from jet boat pilot and love them!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64

@JetBoatPilot sells chrome ones I believe.

Edit: guess I should read all posts before commenting, JBP was mentioned above.

I just took a picture of mine to remind me my registration expires this year. White letters on a red hull.

pygLTOIhGTWKt2DKLYVJX4XD8XZ9Q4_dnLEQ7Os8md9oRl29ZmPj4kSL53XZp3j8Xp0XBhlRVGiWSlj3a0DF0Yoe1wpHebjVDcEnjUIxniRxHkuYFUPm5_A1BL20GE8pr-zw3FmzkaI3gJSiOvLoQRsbiE1s4a4SwC-Qz5M5_eQYeAjUZ_6-XjdM8jbxNRwsXK-N0JWKULrruytatY3-u3VpVlWmoVrvU7iTPoBMOuii4CFUtqTMcpwCq0K9NVXceyQ6GjWi9k9lheEUgqZSW3CfT5kmp2Kv_dKX6sVMdbajyWQKAu8iHx0yB6V559xivUPkthP8tyVmrLzZnNW0qDEsMh-gJ609dLvRNA4qwEU2_X7ymalGp2w8sAGZS-rewFRWKOoTm-AGIzXm8LtykJJYhWJOXKwEzTCr97CFRjqt5cF55ALgT1Y9YR93ZKaUbF2wUE-xbvqq0iiMbbtUrUAerD2yHHGqcsAgvu-pLVSpsU0zYYDOChDHM_XaGpEPIsIrZ1iOEUYLR3lQow8E5NYetQepYQtLFySOb2eQX2LEMlvWNh4PjlkK_dOeKtXBFYcd=w1144-h643-no

According to my Chapman (reading it cover to cover)...

"The regulations require that boat numbers be clearly legible, and also contain specifications for size and style. The letters and numerals must be plain (no border or trim) vertical block characters not less than three inches in height. They must not be slanting or script style[]. The numbers and letters should all be of the same color." p.64.

Yeah my last ski I picked up had multi colored lettering on it and I thought it looked great but it illegal here in SC.

seadoomulti.JPG

Lowes mailbox numbers. Cheap and easy.

Last edited:
View attachment 35804 Ended up going with chrome from domded numbers (link earlier in this thread). Finally able to put them on today and very pleased with how they look.

@BobJohnson I am looking at getting some numbers from Domed Numbers as well. Did you get the straight chrome or chrome with an outline? I am debating between the chrome with white outline or white with chrome outline on my black hull?

Back