• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Custom SwimDeck Ballast Bag project

Would you be interested in this type of bag for your swim deck?

• Yes

Votes: 54 76.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 18.3%

• Total voters

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did some testing yesterday with the bag. First off there is going to be a learning curve on filling this bag. It filled kind of strange so when full it was a little sideways on the swim deck. So in the circumstance air flow to the engine was a non issue. I did have to tie it down different coming back to the tower because of this. Other then that I think when I have it fully on the seat the handles are in a good spot.

So the 870 being on the swim deck corner was a VERY GOOD thing. I didn't have to run my top of the seat port bag. I ended the day with port bag 110%, ski locker bag 25%, and starboard bag 50%. They wave looked to have amazing push. I think I am going to have to put some weight in the nose now to lengthen out my pocket. This is also using the universal wedge so it is looking promising folks!! Still more tuning to do when a surfer actually gets back there but it is a winner in my book!

20180428_155359_1525007052350.jpg

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Quick question, do you think maybe a little wider and not as tall would work better?

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great looking wake! Filling a tall bag on the swim platform wont be without its challenges. I have a 1100lbs bag that I use back there and I find it hard to manage. I think a couple of handles on top of the bag would help.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Quick question, do you think maybe a little wider and not as tall would work better?
I want to keep the walk thru area clear, once I have the bag filled the correct way this will be possible.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wouldn't filling the ski locker more be similar to putting weight in the bow?
Not the same but pretty close. I think a small bag in the bow may still be helpful - for fine tuning - but it is a pain to manage, fill and drain.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did some testing yesterday with the bag. First off there is going to be a learning curve on filling this bag. It filled kind of strange so when full it was a little sideways on the swim deck. So in the circumstance air flow to the engine was a non issue. I did have to tie it down different coming back to the tower because of this. Other then that I think when I have it fully on the seat the handles are in a good spot.

So the 870 being on the swim deck corner was a VERY GOOD thing. I didn't have to run my top of the seat port bag. I ended the day with port bag 110%, ski locker bag 25%, and starboard bag 50%. They wave looked to have amazing push. I think I am going to have to put some weight in the nose now to lengthen out my pocket. This is also using the universal wedge so it is looking promising folks!! Still more tuning to do when a surfer actually gets back there but it is a winner in my book!

View attachment 73154
I don't know if a quick release intake (fill/drain port) at the back of the upper/rear part would help with more even fill-up?
upload_2018-4-29_13-14-22.png

upload_2018-4-29_13-11-55.png
Yes, I admit it's a bit self-serving that's where I would like one for my ballast setup, but it may work best anyway.

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wouldn't filling the ski locker more be similar to putting weight in the bow?
Think of it like this, 200 pounds in the nose might be like 500 pounds in the locker. When you are close to max weight, any weight you can save is better.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you are close to max weight
Well... what would that be?
I can see how pushing past 3,000lbs in ballast plus some people is getting to a point of getting enough cavitation to not being able to move to 10+mph.

--

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
make it 6" wider on the bottom, 6" thinner up top. A pyramid shape.... this should stablelise it.
once water is in the bag it does not matter how it was filled. It's going to assume the most stable shape. The current design might just be a bit too tall vs width so it "falls over"...

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Stability is not the issue. Watching the bag fill and rearranging was the issue. If you don't get the base set correctly the bag will fill wrong and out of position. I have done it countless times. The side of the bag was pushed up against the side of the boat and couldn't expand.

A ton of butt weight on the boat is different then 3000 pounds of ballast evenly distributed on the boat. I had less weight but a WAY bigger wave with this setup. You should have heard the wave curl. It was massive!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
once water is in the bag it does not matter how it was filled
Key words: once water is in the bag. It does not matter then, but during fill-up it absolutely does.
@jcyamaharider is right on. Even with relatively slim/long bags of mine in the rear compartments, I sometimes need to pull on the sides or the ends while filling up, or it can go wrong if they expand a little crooked, rub against a gunnel or a bulkhead, and get bent out of shape.

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A view from outside the boat before I had everything dialed in where I wanted it. I added more starboard ballast after this and it made the pocket longer without increasing engine rpms.

zfinVXQr-646169790.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A view from outside the boat before I had everything dialed in where I wanted it. I added more starboard ballast after this and it made the pocket longer without increasing engine rpms.

View attachment 73224
I'm going to say it. Holy Shit, Jerry.

I would say - this does have potential, lol.

--

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stability is not the issue. Watching the bag fill and rearranging was the issue. If you don't get the base set correctly the bag will fill wrong and out of position. I have done it countless times. The side of the bag was pushed up against the side of the boat and couldn't expand.

A ton of butt weight on the boat is different then 3000 pounds of ballast evenly distributed on the boat. I had less weight but a WAY bigger wave with this setup. You should have heard the wave curl. It was massive!
That picture you posted is insane. I did not realize the bag was dragging as it filled. Rather thought it was tipping over.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think I am going to cheat next time and fill it up with air before I fill so I can place it correctly.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How much pressure is there on the rope to the handles....that last photo makes it look like it could roll of the stern easily!

The bow is WAY in the air...amazing!
I don't think there is much, more of an optical illusion, but I didn't check either. I will next time out.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

View attachment 73154
You had how much weight total?
I am hoping I can do something to start like the 870 on back, 800 under port seat 200-300in now and 400 or so in starboard locker.