• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dealer has had my boat for three weeks because of a leak.

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm looking for opinions. We noticed that under the rear starboard seat on our AR195 was getting drenched when we used the boat regardless of activity. Took it to the dealer three weeks ago and they immediately took it out and agreed there was a problem but could not tell where the water was coming from. They said they filled the hull up looking for drips, drenched the rub rail with a hose and nothing. Took it out on the river and they were able to recreate the problem at cruising speeds.

After a week of searching, they told us it was leaking badly where the two rub rails come together in the stern where the big metal plate overlaps both sides? To me, this isn't even close to under the rear seat and would think the entire hull would have to fill up in order to get that high which it hasn't? They seal that, take it back out and said there is another leak in the rub rail and they will need to remove the rail and seal it up. Yesterday we called again to check after a week and they say they have found another small leak under the rail and will need to seal it? How does any of this equate to saoking wet carpet under the rear seat, and how long do I give this before throwing a fit. We have now missed out on the last month of boating basically and it's almost time to put it away for the winter. Anyone dealt with this problem before?

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Bad news is... 1. You have leaks! 2. dealer taking a long time to fix your problem!

Good news is.... dealer is fixing your problem! I have read about other brands that are not as willing to honor warranty issues.

It is frustrating...I had warranty issues too, although I was able to wait to the off season... but took a long time. However, all issues were resolved, and that is what is important!

Good luck!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’d check to make sure the bilge and/or water bypass hose (pisser) isn’t leaking. Seems like it might be close to where the issue is?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Check out the leak finder thread for ideas....

Water under the seats would lead me to:
  1. What type of speedo does that boat have - is is a pitot type - a while plastic "stick" in the water at the stern that senses pressure....it is actually a tube to under the helm.....does your speedo work? if it does...it isn't this (pitot tube disconnected or leaking behind the helm)
  2. Anchor locker leak....(covered and linked to in the leak finder thread).
  3. Possibly...long shot....bilge exit hose leaking

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’d check to make sure the bilge and/or water bypass hose (pisser) isn’t leaking. Seems like it might be close to where the issue is?
I thought the same thing. I actually laid in the seat while my wife drove to see if I could see anything. After I struck out there I figured I had no choice but to take it in......

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would look at the anchor locker thread @Julian talked about earlier. If you do a search for it there are a lot.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would look at the anchor locker thread @Julian talked about earlier. If you do a search for it there are a lot.
19’ boats don’t have the thru hull anchor locker drain.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you check to see if the flush adapter was leaking? Is all of the starboard storage carpet wet or it is in a petticoat section? All of your cooling, flush and bilge lines run on that side. Perhaps one of your cooling hoses has a small puncture?

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you check to see if the flush adapter was leaking? Is all of the starboard storage carpet wet or it is in a petticoat section? All of your cooling, flush and bilge lines run on that side. Perhaps one of your cooling hoses has a small puncture?
Yes, they said the Yamaha tech they called in checked that first to no avail. Its killing me

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am confused by your post- You have question marks after the issues they found/fixed- Does that mean they fixed those leaks or are you asking if they should fix those issues/leaks?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is it all of the storage area or just a section getting wet?

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am confused by your post- You have question marks after the issues they found/fixed- Does that mean they fixed those leaks or are you asking if they should fix those issues/leaks?
Question marks are because I dont know how a rear rub rail leak could possibly get the rear seat wet

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
personally, I'd go pick the boat up and use it for whatever time you have left in the season and let them work on it over the winter,

I think they are grasping at straws and you would have better luck diagnosing it yourself,
if the rear rub rail was leaking wouldn't it be going into the bilge?

when you said starboard seat I also immediately thought of the indicator or flush line, I'd triple check that before I moved on to other possibilities,
I'd put the boat in with dry carpet, float it then slowly increase speeds until I felt wet carpet and if it was moving from the wall down or from the stern forward,
I'd probably also pull the cleanout hatch cover just to get better visibility if there was a rub rail leak,

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Back section at the rear wall
$5 says it's the rear cupholders and Rear cleanout tray. Check out this picture:

IMG_20190730_191925.jpg

That is in the rear starboard storage area of my 190. Looking AFT with the rear bulkhead removed. Notice the cupholder drain (that is uncapped from the factory) points right over that raised section of fiberglass. That will drain FORWARD towards the carpet and soak that compartment. Likewise the rear cleanout tray access panel is VERY poorly sealed from the factory and can leak in that same area with the same results.

Have the dealer cap (or run a drain line to the bilge) from those cupholders, and reseal the cleanout tray access panel. Those two things eliminated my wet carpet in this area on all but the wettest (from rain, or watersports) trips.

Here's how I solved the cupholder drain issue.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$5 says it's the rear cupholders and Rear cleanout tray. Check out this picture:

View attachment 104551

That is in the rear starboard storage area of my 190. Looking AFT with the rear bulkhead removed. Notice the cupholder drain (that is uncapped from the factory) points right over that raised section of fiberglass. That will drain FORWARD towards the carpet and soak that compartment. Likewise the rear cleanout tray access panel is VERY poorly sealed from the factory and can leak in that same area with the same results.

Have the dealer cap (or run a drain line to the bilge) from those cupholders, and reseal the cleanout tray access panel. Those two things eliminated my wet carpet in this area on all but the wettest (from rain, or watersports) trips.

Here's how I solved the cupholder drain issue.
what a great picture, thanks,
that would be the first place I would look,
I would take the boat out dry and go slow to see if you get any water and after none appears I would intentionally swamp the swim deck and see if water appears,

you could even just put a silicone plug in the cup holder during testing,

If the dealer hasn't already thought of this I wouldn't trust them to fix it,

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes the cup holders will drain right into the storage. However they said they are getting water in there at cruising speeds and I’m assuming on a day it’s not raining so that kind of rules out water coming in from the cup holder unless it’s pouring outside or after washing the boat. I plugged my 192’s cupholders after the first wash once I realized they just dump in the storage. My Moomba is the same was but it has a floor meant to get wet and drain into the bilge so it’s not as big of an issue as say a carpeted floor.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea, if it's coming in at speed, that's a different problem.

I would be tempted to pull that bulkhead out and go for a drive. With that rear compartment empty, it's super easy to look back in there and physically SEE where the water is coming in.

Just realized @kyle is in Independance, KY. Wondering if the boat is at Yamaha of Louisville, or the Cincy dealership (dunno the name). I know YoL is a reputable place and will get you taken care of. I'll be out that way this weekend and could stick my head in the shop and talk to the tech if you think that would help at any level.

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep, I sealed the cup holders up the week I bought the boat. I did just get off the phone with the dealer. They are saying that the starboard side seal between the upper and lower hull has been compromised by screws that are run through the rub rail. He said they also has found 12 different leaking screws on the boat. They took the entire rub rail off, sealed the hull with 5200 and are waiting for it to cure before they take it out. He said there is a channel that runs right to the back of the boat along the side of the hull just like in the picture above. He said all the little leaks turn into a decent big leak and all that water ends up at the carpet in the rear. Hopefully, that is it and I can get along with my boating life.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Based on that photo....could easily be a rub rail leak too. But I agree...pull the divider out and look at it.

One member used baby powder to sprinkle on the side walls to identify where water was running.