• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY Steering Cable Luber

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Of course. With some mods it will lube almost any cable. Cam.

dirksgoat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone done this to throttle cables?

Correction, I meant bucket cables. I took some pictures. I used the same size hose as the steering. added pressure with a compressor. 50psi on bucket cables, 70psi on steering. worked like a charm. all from inside the boat.

Last edited:

dirksgoat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are picks how the bucket cables were done. @Julian if you want to add this link to the plastic bag tip for oiling. I put pics here since I oiled the steering as well. I placed a heavy duty trash bag with kitty litter to catch the oil as it came out. I worked the buckets/steering cables at the back to aid in the oil working through. It worked, pushed out water and contaminated oil. Continued process until clean oil came out. Used. 70 weight gear oil had in the garage. Used a label maker to tag cables going into control boxes. Of course lots of pics to reference later. I had a cable that was stuck but broke loose before oiling. Hopefully this allows me from changing cables for a few more yrs.

One more thing, I put the hose clamp/clear hose where the metal shroud meets actual black cable. Basically only place the hose would clamp down on cable.

30108256-6B7A-4D5F-A217-BFAAC5D950BB.jpeg36BFFC48-B165-4DCA-8E48-22523D8CE412.jpegE78E4081-3F39-4879-A58E-234FED2969A9.jpeg8D56F4F1-316A-4C0B-A856-DFABE24EC587.jpegDE05F30C-54EE-4545-ABA9-119FEC95FA9A.jpeg

Also didn’t do a full write up since they are documented so well before hand.
30108256-6B7A-4D5F-A217-BFAAC5D950BB.jpeg36BFFC48-B165-4DCA-8E48-22523D8CE412.jpegE78E4081-3F39-4879-A58E-234FED2969A9.jpeg8D56F4F1-316A-4C0B-A856-DFABE24EC587.jpegDE05F30C-54EE-4545-ABA9-119FEC95FA9A.jpeg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Man i gotta do this. I kinda did a few years back but i think i stopped the process too early and just let it gravity feed. Time to make grocery list!
What size hose is it?
I probably have at least a few feet at the shop but i need to cut it off to bring home.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a thought......
since you are feeding it with air, couldnt you do this from the stern, at the pumps and force the lubricant forward. It would be easier that disassembling the helm and throttles

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just a thought......
since you are feeding it with air, couldnt you do this from the stern, at the pumps and force the lubricant forward. It would be easier that disassembling the helm and throttles
Problem is then where does the oil end up coming out at? Inside the boat.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Duh... been a long long day

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, but all of that oil in the bilge will never really come out. It will get trapped by all of the crap left in there during production!

Win!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, but all of that oil in the bilge will never really come out. It will get trapped by all of the crap left in there during production!

Win!
Except it doesn't end up in the bilge (unless you are doing the throttle cables)....the gate and steering cables are the ones that need this the most due to water intrusion - being outside the hull underwater a lot.

dirksgoat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used about half a bottle of gear oil for 4 cables. It would have been a lot if it would push it up hill, that would have ran into the boat/ controls. Also, I run my boat in salt water. It was impressive how much water it pushed out along with contaminated oil/water. I would rather push it out, instead of more into the cable.

As for hose size, I used the same as instructions as listed in the beginning of this thread. Got 1/2 ID hose clear from Home Depot with the schrader valves from amazon. I would have had all 4 cables going at same time, but didn’t have enough hose clamps.

I put more pressure than what is prob needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PLI4BA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought 2 packs to do all at same time.
Just a thought......

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey @KXCam22 — I am struggling with your method. I cannot seem to get any lube into the cables. I am using a clear tube that is clearly stretching around 80psu, but no lube is going into the cable.

It is clearly not passing the black cap that I assume is designed to keep water out — you left that on, correct?

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You should remove the black cap. You may also need reinforced tubing like dirksgoat's pictures show above.

Hyooz2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I attempted the method in the first post, on my 08 AR230, the metal sleeve where you clamp the tubing to is just free floating/not attached under the black rubber at the nut on the transom. I pressurized it with air first and just comes out the other end of that approximately 6 inch metal tube. I’m assuming this is broken but how is it supposed to be attached?

Attachments

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I attempted the method in the first post, on my 08 AR230, the metal sleeve where you clamp the tubing to is just free floating/not attached under the black rubber at the nut on the transom. I pressurized it with air first and just comes out the other end of that approximately 6 inch metal tube. I’m assuming this is broken but how is it supposed to be attached?
Slide your tube all the way up to the sleeve and clamp it there. I've used this process for years with great success.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Having just lubed the steering cables this week I would strongly suggest against flushing from the outside in. The amount of water and debris contamination that exists in what is most likely the last few feet of cable was great. I would NOT want to flush this into clean parts of the cable housing.

AS you can see, there is a lot of "debris" which I believe to be rust from a failing cable sleeve. This was after using about 1/2 quart of 5W30 synthetic motor oil thru this cable alone. I had to push it at about 70PSI and just let it slowly bleed from the helm. Unfortunately, I don't this cable is savable but hopefully it will get me thru the summer and I can do the full cable replacement in the fall.

Attachments

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Doing this right now. Which is throttle and which is bucket? Gold and silver. My throttle seems fine but the bucket is bad.1524436039687539407878.jpg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Gold was throttle. I just opened the hatch and did individually. (Duh)
So now y'al know

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Got 3/4 of a quart in the line holding at 18 psi for 2 hours and no movement. I have a stainless pcv i had from my old turbo mustang in line so it can only go one way. The cable really isn't moving from the bucket side in or out.
I have the hose all the way onto the black part of the cable. The bucket side is completely open no black plugs either end of this thing(triple checked at this point)
May have to leave 3/4 quart of oil pressurized overnight?