• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

do i have a case or am i screwed

virgil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok so the last few months ive been looking for a nice jet boat searching everywhere for a clean boat in my price range finally i found one locally on craigslist. i seen this boat for sale over yr ago paid no mind at the time but did see it on busy street for sale last year . but this year im looking on craigslist i think the ad said 2014 but it mite not have it expired so cant pull it up . ive texted him several times asking him questions hes not really a texting guy or he doesn't want to leave a trail. anyways one of the questions was what year is it he says 14 so few weeks go on while i keep looking.
ok so last saturday i bought it i call guy up say i want to buy it ask him if sunday is good he says today will be better so i rush around to make it happen so i go to my bank grab bank check for 23,500 and bring him 8500. cash = 32k hes in a rush for a birthday party so were doing paperwork hes like in rushtells me u can fill in bill of sale but signs his name and he did put that i paid 15,800 to see if i can save money at rmv i know not good idea i have copy of check but not cash.

(1st) i get boat home were i am able to fully inspect boat in sun he had it in his garage i notice a good size damage under were front ladder goes and ask him about he claims from anchor bouncing around he did offer fix it he said he would call his boat guy on monday and get back to me .i texted him several times over wk no response hes says hes busy yet wasn't to busy when he said yes to my offer of 32k .

(2nd) i go to register boat i give them title of origin thought it was title they say no so i need his registration i call him ask him go back and fourth. then i notice on title of origin notice it says 2012 i call him tell him this is 2012 not 2014 he says u bought what you bought its my boat and goes on i say what about text he says must have been typo goes on saying hes not fixing damage that maybe i did damage in the week i had it . yes im yelling cause hes putting it on me i tell him if he runs his business this way im furious hate feeling of being ripped off.

what can i do or am i stuck as is i would like the damage fix and some money back to compensate the yr difference

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to hear you've apparently bumped up against a dishonest person. I can't add much except this...

I had my 25# Richter anchor in the anchor locker and it beat up the hull from the inside when I hit big waves. It caused a large pattern of spider cracks. I moved the anchor to the forward starboard locker after that. I got tired of the spider cracks and other dock rash and took the boat to have gel coat repair. The whole thing was more but the bow spider cracks were repaired nicely for $600.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wow for future reference the last 2 digits of the id are the year so your boat id ends in 12. the old let the buyer beware comes to mind unless you can prove you were intentionally mislead then you file a lawsuit I just hope that you do not have any other issues with it sounds like you should have not rushed into things and just backed off when he started pressuring you. Sorry about the deal but it may cost more to pursue him than it is worth. Here the seller puts in the selling price and if he lies about it he can get arrested for fraud against the state.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Dont know what state you are in, but if it is like Texas.....basically it is "Buyer Beware". Anything you buy used, when you drive it away it is yours....AS IS. Your ONLY hope is that IF the bill of sale states that it is a 2014, you may have a shot.....but it would be a hassle. The other option, if the bill of sale was incorrect, is to try to recover some of your money thru small claims court (difference in value of 2012 vs 2014). If you have no written proof that he offered to fix the damage, basically yes, you are screwed! Sorry about your bad experience. Unfortunately this world is full of unscrupulous people, and when you buy something used....DONT TRUST ANYBODY!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did he not give u the title? If not you could have a fraud case... or obtaining property by false pretence depending on your state. Doesnt hurt ro run it by leo! It may be a civil case but if he has done this before he could be on the leo fraud radar.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Go talk to a lawyer ASAP. He will be able ro tell you if it's worth perSUEing. Sorry for the hassle.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The real question is it stolen property. If so you just might end up losing the boat and your money.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the boat is in good shape mechanically and no other issues I would count yourself lucky. You certainly could file a civil suit as you can sue anybody for anything. If it is enough value to warrant the time, effort, energy and legal fees then go for it. I grew up in the car business and have seen it all. Nothing personal but my motto is like money....In God we Trust, people? Not so much.

virgil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i talked to a lawyer he feels i have a case anyone know how i can find out the book value between 2012 ar240 and 2014 ar240 cause thats what im going go after him for the difference

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Talk to a Yamaha dealer. They can probably give you something in writing regarding the difference in value between the model years. Good luck!

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I bought a jet ski from a guy that didn't give me his Tennessee Wildlife Refuge Association (TWRA) registration card for the boat. He was a cop, so I took him at his word that I didn't need it in order to register the boat. To my surprise, all counties bordering Nashville require the previous owner's registrations, except Davidson (Nashville). I had to take a day off work to travel to the Davidson County Clerk's Office and DMV office to take care of all the paperwork. It was a PITA, but I got it done. You should check around to all your other counties for their registration rules. TN is not a Title state for boats or trailers, only boat registration.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2014 ar 240's are around $40k online, 32k would be quite a deal.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd give up and just roll with it. I thought I did a thorough check on mine. Matched the trailer and boat vin to the title, owners drivers license to the title and registration, took it for a test drive, but I still ended up with a bad engine. I think the owner knew, but it's not worth the trouble. Take it as another lesson learned.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i talked to a lawyer he feels i have a case anyone know how i can find out the book value between 2012 ar240 and 2014 ar240 cause thats what im going go after him for the difference
So is the lawyer taking the case on contingency? If so nothing to lose. I guess you could get the lawyer to write a letter and scare the guy, but if you are on the hook for legal fees it is unlikely you will see any money even if you get a judgement and you will be out legal fees.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you share pics of the damage? It might help put your mind at ease on the extent of the cost to repair.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
looks like a $5k difference on NADA.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@virgil sorry this scumbag pulled that on you and the thief is hiding under a rock. If the difference is $5k a law suit is not going to be economically viable. The legal fees can/will exceed that.

Investigate the small claims court in your county and attempt to present your case directly in this streamlined process. You may get a chance to recover some of funds without it going back out the door to a lawyer ... sorry if there are some lawyers on this forum but the financial delta is small enough that I am not sure legal representation makes financial sense.

If you get to small claims court you will be able look this scumbag in the eye and tell him what's on your mind.