• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do I need Connext on to leave OEM bilge pump on auto?

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Exactly. Have the correct batt switches on to keep the auto-bilge operational. That is in the manual. I had to hunt that down as the dealer gave me bogus info about where to put the batt switches. and I suspected they were full of it. There is batt combiner or separator in the factory setup. Helps keep both batts charged or helps keep both from draining. Or maybe both. Haha. I don't remember exactly. Just don't leave the parallel switch engaged. Thats for emergency power to start engines.

For the sterei and to avoid the loud assed beep from the dash - I turn off one engine at a time and after shutting off the first engine i turn the key back on to keep the stereo running. I'm sure there is a better way but I don't like reading manuals.
So I haven't been turning the key off, except at night. Basically I turn it on in the morning, use the push buttons to turn engines on and off during the day, and only turn the key off at night. Is there a problem with me doing this? Does everyone else also use the key throughout the day?

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I tried that and it worked! But only using one of the buttons, the "light bulb" button. Thank you.
same here, i can turn it on with any button, but only the 'lights' button seems to turn it off :)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I haven't been turning the key off, except at night. Basically I turn it on in the morning, use the push buttons to turn engines on and off during the day, and only turn the key off at night. Is there a problem with me doing this? Does everyone else also use the key throughout the day?
I specifically asked Yamaha about this and was told you can leave the key on. I asked because my throttle bodies hum with the key on and I was wondering if it was ok to leave the key on for prolonged periods.

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I specifically asked Yamaha about this and was told you can leave the key on. I asked because my throttle bodies hum with the key on and I was wondering if it was ok to leave the key on for prolonged periods.
That's interesting, I'll have to see if mine do that as well! I've heard the humming/buzzing from the engine compartment, but not the throttles... of course that could be due to the stereo upgrades!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's interesting, I'll have to see if mine do that as well! I've heard the humming/buzzing from the engine compartment, but not the throttles... of course that could be due to the stereo upgrades!
When I say throttle bodies....it is in the engines...not the binnacle.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the other way to tell for sure the auto bilge is on while the boat is off is wait for 6 minutes, and you will see your lights flash. Not sure why this happens, but it does!
I had the boat parked outside my bedroom window one night and thought I was seeing lightning all night long. I finally figured out it was the boat but never knew why. Haha. Thanks for that.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be careful taking Yamahas word @Julian didnt they also tell you the voltage reading had been sorted when it hadn't?

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I never shut the key off when on the water. No annoying Connext beep and stereo keeps playing all day. I do have the humming from the engine compartment. I wonder if that is why Yamaha put those ugly solar panels on the tower. To offset what ever the draw is from the E-drive.

macsurg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry to beat the dead horse here, but does the house and start battery switches both need to be on for the bilge pump to work or just house switch? I sometimes have to leave the boat in a wet slip overnight and will turn the start battery switch off, but leave the house switch on. Shows my lack of understanding, I'm sure, but maybe I should just leave both battery switches on? I've had a 2016 242 limited S for a few years now and still don't understand this. . . .