• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Do you tip when buying gas on the water???

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always tip a couple of dollars when buying gas on the water. I alwayd unscrew the gas cap. I see so many people not tip when purchasing gas on the water. That got me thinking, am i one of the few that do tip. What do you do?

I do if it is a kid who helps us tie up and pumps... I rarely fill up on the water unless I'm at a huge lake like Cumberland.

The places I usually buy gas on the water are self service, so I tip myself with a beer.....

If they help tie off, do all the pumping, and take the money without me having to go inside and pay, then yes, thats worth a tip. If all they do is work the pump, but I have to do all the rest, then no tip. That pump price is already set for full service :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I always tip....seems right

I always launch the boat with a full tank of gas. But if I need a few gallons of gas later in the week, I always tip the attendant. They are young college age kids who help tie up and pump. I feel its a great way for them to learn about customer service, and "earning a dollar". Sure they probably get minimum wages, but IMHO showing a bit of gratitude for the extra effort will make a difference in how they perceive "earning a dollar". That way, they'll be chomping at the bit to help people out.

I havent ever had the need to fill up on the water

yea, self serve pay at the pump for me to. I also tip a beer to myself

I guess I'm the bad guy here. I don't tip, the people pump gas, but I still have to go into pay and and hold the boat still while they pump.

I tip $5 each time. The guys know me by now, since the gas dock is in my marina.

I always tip the workers at the gas dock. The amount depends on the amount of assistance they provide. Most of these workers are high school or college students working a summer job. It's important to remember in most areas these are seasonal jobs with low wages, therfore, they depend on making tips.

I rarely fill up on the water. But when I do - it's usually kids - they catch you, then tie you off and then pump. So yes - I give them $5.

Unless it's that's college girl from last year who was manning the pumps in her bikini top - $10 for her. :winkingthumbsup"

I absolutely tip out of respect. That being said the attendants help secure the boat, pump the gas and take my money etc. I have only fueled up on the water 2 or 3 times when I used the 15 gallon tanked Tahitti, the Yamaha has never been necessary

I've only fueled on the water twice. The first place an old guy came out, threw on the pump and then walked back inside and waited for me to finish and come in and pay, he didn't get a tip. The second place a young kid came running out as we approached, helped my wife tie up, pumped the gas, asked if we needed any ice, beer or soda, took the money and helped us untie and push off... He got a tip.

So I guess it just depends on the situation.

What Volffas said

I always do. They remember and you tend to get good service next time around.

In over25 years of jet skiing and boating I've only been in a situation where it seemed appropriate to tip twice and neither had to do with gas. The first was teens at a guest dock at a restaurant on the water. They pretty much did everything after we threw them the mooring lines. The other time was when my friend pumped the septic tank out on his cruiser, even then the guy only deserved a tip because he lent us an attachment we didn't have. I was the one in the captain Morgan pose with the hose in hand, no tip for me, just a compliment and a joking "you're hired" comment.

On a semi related note almost a decade ago I took a road trip through Oregon on the way to Seattle. When I pulled up to the first gas station after I crossed the state line I immediately noticed that the pumps seemed old as they didn't have card readers. I pulled the cap out and put the pump,handle in before the attendant came out to inform me that all stations in Oregon are full service only. I was later told it was a law enacted to enhance employment opportunities in the state. Things are totally opposite in ca, I can't think of any gas stations locally that even offer full service anymore. But then again it is ca, I've seen a guy filling his Lamborghini spider up at costco twice now.

Many years ago I pumped gas at a small airport. I always treated every plane with respect, but those that tipped I'd go out of my way to go above and beyond. Those that didn't tip I always felt were tight-wads considering the amount of money required to own their own plane.

Now I fly for a living. And I have an awesome boat. Even when money is tight I try to always tip for good service in any aspect of life that a tip is appreciated. I never want someone to see my boat and think I'm a tight-wad :)

On a semi related note almost a decade ago I took a road trip through Oregon on the way to Seattle. When I pulled up to the first gas station after I crossed the state line I immediately noticed that the pumps seemed old as they didn't have card readers. I pulled the cap out and put the pump,handle in before the attendant came out to inform me that all stations in Oregon are full service only. I was later told it was a law enacted to enhance employment opportunities in the state. Things are totally opposite in ca, I can't think of any gas stations locally that even offer full service anymore. But then again it is ca, I've seen a guy filling his Lamborghini spider up at costco twice now.

We joke that the extra service is what makes gas is cheaper in Oregon than California or Washington. ;)
http://fuelgaugereport.aaa.com/?redirectto=http://fuelgaugereport.opisnet.com/index.asp
The irony on this forum is that the only vehicles that gas station attendants 'look the other way' and let people pump their own gas is on boats and motorcycles.

Back