• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dual motor RPM differences

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The port throttle on our 242 drops/slips a few hundred (+/- 400RPM) so the starboard motor is usually running a few hundred RPM higher.
You can tune the motors without looking at the tachs simply by the sound and feel of the boat.
The question is what is the fix for this?
I seem to remember a post or two about this, ie: how to fix throttle drop.

@Evildwarf. Here is a video by jetboatpilot. It explains how ti sync the throttles with the throttle sync device mounted to the throttle levers. You can just put your levers full forward without the Throttle Sync device and follow the rest of the video to sync your throttles. If your levers are slipping back there is a friction adjustment under the rubber pad at the aft base of the throttle quadrant.

I have the same issue (as do many). I tried adjusting the friction screw on the throttle lever but it didn't change a thing for me. In fact it seemed to get worse when tighter. It seemed like when tightened that the cable is in a bind and it "pulls" the throttle lever back 4-500 rpm. If I hold it forward with my hand all is well?
Below is the location and adjustment on your throttles, hope it helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 34
I have the same issue (as do many). I tried adjusting the friction screw on the throttle lever but it didn't change a thing for me. In fact it seemed to get worse when tighter. It seemed like when tightened that the cable is in a bind and it "pulls" the throttle lever back 4-500 rpm. If I hold it forward with my hand all is well?
Below is the location and adjustment on your throttles, hope it helps.
THIS is exactly why i opened them up and did the throttle dropping issue thread.
See the link above
The problem isn't the tensioner, or too much spring action on the throttles, or anything like that.
It's simple... there is a little tab that goes between two fingers. OEM has a tendancy to have those fingers stretched a little bit and when you put the throttle forward, it works, but when you let go, it drops back that 1/16" and you lose 500 rpm or so. That's all it is.
Again, check the link!!!! Good pictures (or so I thought) in there to help you out!

If
THIS is exactly why i opened them up and did the throttle dropping issue thread.
See the link above
The problem isn't the tensioner, or too much spring action on the throttles, or anything like that.
It's simple... there is a little tab that goes between two fingers. OEM has a tendancy to have those fingers stretched a little bit and when you put the throttle forward, it works, but when you let go, it drops back that 1/16" and you lose 500 rpm or so. That's all it is.
Again, check the link!!!! Good pictures (or so I thought) in there to help you out!

If we get the weather they're forecasting this weekend, I'll likely be trying this, thanks.

I thought the twins always ran slightly different revs due to the different angles the pump housings are positioned?

Thanks for the replies guys, as usual good info available from this forum.
The difference in RPM's doesn't seem to effect the boat's handling but you can hear and feel the difference in the twins when they are synced or not synced.
Seems like the cruise assist will hold the desired RPM's once dialed in.
I use the cruise assist often when meandering around the lake.
In fact I may blow off my chores list this morning and take her for a cruise after breakfast!

I thought the twins always ran slightly different revs due to the different angles the pump housings are positioned?
Yes and no
This is in regards to full throttle rpm - they will be slightly different unless pitched accordingly.
The OP i believe is referring to putting the throttles forward to any position and then it "drops" back a few hundred rpm aka throttle dropping

And someone posted recently that when he ran at different RPMs the boat was a lot quieter....I never pay attention to it. Doesn't matter....

But the above will allow you to sync them if it bothers you....

The throttle drop fix works great. Definitely worth taking the time to do. My throttles stay exactly where I set them.

Back