• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

engine issue, oil in filter, oil overfilled

Robert Albert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
we have oil in the air filter, and about 1/4 inch of oil in the bottom of the boat, and still past the full line on the dipstick. do we need to just empty some of the oil out and clean it up?? the engine just cut out while driving. we got back on second engine. the engine does start and sounds normal, but we only started for about 2 seconds. any advice would be appreciated.

we are located by watertown NY.

thanks, Rob

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with Julian,
1. when you returned on one engine did you stay at no wake speed or at least have the jet in the forward position to not force water into the engine? (if not this needs immediate attention)

2. how did the excess oil issue happen? did you or someone else do an oil change or add oil recently?

Robert Albert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks for the help. we did go slow getting back to shore (when we went fast, the boat just did a circle). we got the parts you suggested and i am heading up over te weekend to fix. my mother in law just passed, so we had to leave quickly. what needs to be done about possible water in the engine that backfeed?? that is a great point.

Thanks, Rob

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you were able to start the engine when you returned to the dock you should be ok,

look in the FAQ tab at the top of the page for "how the cooling water flows through my engine", it's a great video by one of our members, also next time the boat is out of the water check you scupper valve for cracks (it's also in the FAQ),

any idea how the oil was overfilled?

Robert Albert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks again for you info. we took out 3 liters of oil and realized there is more to the issue. the oil smells like gas, so we have a bigger problem than we though. i gave up and will be taking it to the dealer... thanks for the video tips! really appreciate your help. Happy boating..
Rob

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sounds like a fuel injector is stuck open. While it may be the injector (about $400 for parts), it could also be the ECU, which is about $1000.

Robert Albert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks for the reply. i hope it is the fuel injector, that is a lower number... 12 years and this is the first issue i had. great engine overall....

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Both the injector and the ECU can be rebuilt. You will save a lot if you can avoid the dealer.

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had Oil in my filter after a bad ECU and open injector. I had to replace the ECU -- $1000 It is not a fun chore either. a YDS cable should be able to determine if it is the ECU or Injector.

The engine probably died because of the oil in the filter. The engines like to have a specific amount of air and trying to suck air through an oil logged filter is not easy.

Robert Albert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks! unfortunately i had to take it into the shop. waiting to hear back... had a dry weekend on land :(

Robert Albert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
well, it was the ECU. you guys are awesome with the advice. it great to have this website!! however, it is on backorder till Aug 11th. does anyone know where to get them rebuilt? or does anyone know where else to find one, other than a dealer. if not, i will just start searching the internet...

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought one from Partzilla in stock Gonna send my old one off this winter. I needed my boat now do I paid for two day shipping. $1222 total

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a company that attempts to rebuild them. Not sure if anybody has had success. I believe @Ronnie might have more info.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Try carmo based in Chico, Ca. Their website will tell you if they have rebuilt one like yours before. I prepaid around $300 for the service, sent then the bad unit which they shipped overseas to have diagnosed. It came back less than a month later (the cover was drilled and filled numerous times) with a note that said it was not repairable and with most of the fee I paid (minus the diagnostic and shipping fees). It works for some but not all but at 1/4th the price of new its worth the shot in my opinion.