• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Overheating Warning - Cleanout Plug Issue?

FSH220Now!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi all, just wanted to pick your brains. Took my boat out this weekend. My nephew put the plugs in - he's done it many times. All was well - got up to 21 mph with a couple of rough waves. Nothing major. Didn't feel or hear any cavitation. About 4 miles out I get an engine temp warning so I shut it down and started digging through things. Water was coming out of both ports at the normal rate, so I knew that wasn't an issue. I decided to go through start-up on each engine because it shouldn't be both. Turned out to be the starboard engine. Limped back to the dock on the Port engine (no error) - kept it under 4mph. Started checking everything I could. At the last moment I went to pull the plugs and one was completely out.

Went through start-up after recycling the battery switches and the issue was gone. So my questions are:

1. If damage was done where would I need to inspect to verify?
  2. If there are issues is the connext system smart enough to see those issues? Meaning I should see new or the same warnings going forward?
  3. The engines run a little rough but they've never purred like kittens even when new.
  4. I'm heading down today to check the cleanout plugs to make sure that the plug isn't bad in some way and not a mistake in installation.
  5. Anything else I should be checking - or should I just pull it out and take it to the dealer for an inspection?
As always thanks for anyone that responds!

Good day,

Based on your description of the events, I suspect that your access port cap was not properly inserted and locked. This would cause a reduction of the water pressure/flow in the jet pump, which may be the cause for a lack of water flow to keep the engine running cool enough.

Assuming that the pump is free of debris and that water is flowing nicely out of your cooling water pilot outlets (pissers), you should be in good shape.

If you experienced heat-related steam or smoke coming from that engine, I would take the boat to the shop for inspection.

Hi all, just wanted to pick your brains. Took my boat out this weekend. My nephew put the plugs in - he's done it many times. All was well - got up to 21 mph with a couple of rough waves. Nothing major. Didn't feel or hear any cavitation. About 4 miles out I get an engine temp warning so I shut it down and started digging through things. Water was coming out of both ports at the normal rate, so I knew that wasn't an issue. I decided to go through start-up on each engine because it shouldn't be both. Turned out to be the starboard engine. Limped back to the dock on the Port engine (no error) - kept it under 4mph. Started checking everything I could. At the last moment I went to pull the plugs and one was completely out.

Went through start-up after recycling the battery switches and the issue was gone. So my questions are:

2. If there are issues is the connext system smart enough to see those issues? Meaning I should see new or the same warnings going forward?
  3. The engines run a little rough but they've never purred like kittens even when new.
  4. I'm heading down today to check the cleanout plugs to make sure that the plug isn't bad in some way and not a mistake in installation.
  5. Anything else I should be checking - or should I just pull it out and take it to the dealer for an inspection?

If you heeded the engine overheat alarm then you should be fine.

Sounds like your nephew just didn’t get the plug turned enough to lock it down. Install the pugs yourself and go run it.

Good day,

Based on your description of the events, I suspect that your access port cap was not properly inserted and locked. This would cause a reduction of the water pressure/flow in the jet pump, which may be the cause for a lack of water flow to keep the engine running cool enough.

Assuming that the pump is free of debris and that water is flowing nicely out of your cooling water pilot outlets (pissers), you should be in good shape.

If you experienced heat-related steam or smoke coming from that engine, I would take the boat to the shop for inspection.
Thanks for the response! Yeah my next step is to take it out for a test run to verify everything is good.

Not sure where you would inspect, other than to run it and see how it acts. The connext system is simply giving warnings based on sensor inputs. if the plug wasn't the issue, then it will pop up again if whatever else you checked wasn't the resolution to the problem. It's a generic code for you, but I'm not sure if there are more specific codes tied to it that would be read by a code reader. It still may not give you specifics (just like a car that throws P-codes - it could be many things, you run down the list and troubleshoot step by step).

Now that it's sat for a bit, run it to see if it's behaving in the fashion you'd say was typical beforehand. If you're at all concerned, taking it to a dealer isn't a bad idea, but I suspect you'll find it to be back to normal, and you'll be REAAAALLLLLLLY listening for things for the next 2-3 outings just to give yourself peace of mind.

I think you’ll be fine. You heeded the warning and shut off the engine. Similar thing happened to me last weekend. Cruising around, get the warning beep, says my port engine is overheating. I shut it off, discovered that there were a lot of weeds in it, waited 20 min and the warning light went away and boats been fine ever since. Hopefully they put those warnings at a temp well below the point of actual engine damage.

What I'd like to see is an actual temp reading - I hate dummy gauges. Is there a way to add to the boat or are we sorta stuck since Yamaha doesn't do NEMA - at least not in my year boat.

Edit: I love this forum. I just did a quick look and someone has already done this and it's pretty simple.

When mine overheated I couldn’t find anything in the system to show me the temp. I’m a 2020

Similar happened to me when I left my plugs out. I always go thru my checklist but this day my head was in the clouds and i left the plugs out and also forgot to take out the doohickey's I stick in the pissers to prevent insects and wasps from building nests.

I launched and had trouble backing off the trailer but thought the trailer was just higher out of the water. Finally went underway in a no wake zone and I got the dreaded overheat alarm on one engine almost right away. I shut both off, checked some stuff and then restarted and pulled back into the dock. After looking around I realized both mistakes and corrected them. No issues afterwards once I put the plugs back in.

Been there, done that too. I hate it when I forget to take the transom straps off when launching. "Why isn't the boat moving??" LOL. Whole trailer is floating. Super embarrassing, it's happened twice in 4 years to me.

I've NEVER FORGOT the drain plug though! knock on wood

So thanks all for the responses. As all predicted shutting down and limping back was the right option. I took it out yesterday after inspecting the engine compartment and the drive. Nothing visible. There where some grass on the grate? but nothing blocking. Up on plane, no issues. Will spend more time running thru my list and will verify the plugs myself in the future. Thanks for the support!

Back