• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine won’t start when hot

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Having a new issue on my 2020 242se.

engine starts fine when cold. Can start and stop 5-10 times without issue. Hooked up the hose and ran for 20-30 mins. Had the candoo hooked up. Temps got up to about 160 in the engine, exhaust was about 90 and no overheat. Turned it off, reset everything and went to restart and it stalled out. But now if I wait until tomorrow and go out in the morning it’ll fire right up.

Has fresh plugs and oil.

There is quite a bit of noise coming from the pump area but from what I can see and feel there’s nothing in there. I’m wondering if something’s rubbing or expanding when hot and not letting the impeller turn easily causing resistance and stalling?
If I pull the pump is it ok to run the engine with the pump off to check? I’d have to let it run for 30 mins again to get the engine hot to make sure it’s not the engine itself.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you checked impeller clearance when engine is hot? Service manual has specifications.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Having a new issue on my 2020 242se.

engine starts fine when cold. Can start and stop 5-10 times without issue. Hooked up the hose and ran for 20-30 mins. Had the candoo hooked up. Temps got up to about 160 in the engine, exhaust was about 90 and no overheat. Turned it off, reset everything and went to restart and it stalled out. But now if I wait until tomorrow and go out in the morning it’ll fire right up.

Has fresh plugs and oil.

There is quite a bit of noise coming from the pump area but from what I can see and feel there’s nothing in there. I’m wondering if something’s rubbing or expanding when hot and not letting the impeller turn easily causing resistance and stalling?
If I pull the pump is it ok to run the engine with the pump off to check? I’d have to let it run for 30 mins again to get the engine hot to make sure it’s not the engine itself.
So does it just stall after the engine starts, then you are able to make another attempt and it starts and runs?

What is a candoo?

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have you checked impeller clearance when engine is hot? Service manual has specifications.
No I havent. That’s kind of what I was thinking by removing the pump to check.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So does it just stall after the engine starts, then you are able to make another attempt and it starts and runs?

What is a candoo?
Once it’s hot and I try to restart it, it never really starts. It cranks and sounds like it wants to start then immediately stalls out.
Candoo is the software that reads the diagnostics from the boat. (YDS)

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Once it’s hot and I try to restart it, it never really starts. It cranks and sounds like it wants to start then immediately stalls out.
Candoo is the software that reads the diagnostics from the boat. (YDS)
Does it only do this while on the hose? Or does it do this on the water as well?

What octane fuel are you running? Ethanol or non ethanol?

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does it only do this while on the hose? Or does it do this on the water as well?

What octane fuel are you running? Ethanol or non ethanol?
Both. Happened first on the water and then replicated it on the hose.

fuel is non ethanol…90% of the time unless I am away and can’t find it or something.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Both. Happened first on the water and then replicated it on the hose.

fuel is non ethanol…90% of the time unless I am away and can’t find it or something.
What octane?

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have heard of injectors leaking down and causing hard/ no starts because it wets the plugs, until the cylinder dries out from excessive cranking. then runs normally. If you had a way to get a fuel pressure reading on the rail it would tell you if one of them are leaking down after you shut off the motors. Try running the motors for a while, then shut the motor off, then try to restart, then immediately pull the plugs and see if one of them is fuel soaked. Also, check your oil and see if it smells like gas. This is just one of multiple things it could be, I'm very curious to what is causing this.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have heard of injectors leaking down and causing hard/ no starts because it wets the plugs, until the cylinder dries out from excessive cranking. then runs normally. If you had a way to get a fuel pressure reading on the rail it would tell you if one of them are leaking down after you shut off the motors. Try running the motors for a while, then shut the motor off, then try to restart, then immediately pull the plugs and see if one of them is fuel soaked. Also, check your oil and see if it smells like gas. This is just one of multiple things it could be, I'm very curious to what is causing this.
OK I can give that a try. There were a couple of pressure gauges in the YDS - I'll check what they are. Not sure if one is FP or not.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like what I experienced on a 2006 Mr1 (998 cc/140 hp) motor when the rectifier failed. Should be relatively “easy” to check by swapping rectifiers between the engines.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Happens occasionally on my 2020 212S. I change plugs when I do oil in the springtime. However, if we're running the motors hard and shut down without giving the motor time to cool down, it's almost like it vapor locks one of the motors. Happens on both, and only after an instance where we've been surfing and the motor doesn't have a chance to idle for a minute or so.

Try letting it idle after warming it up, and before shutting it down. In my case, usually if i let it sit and crank it a 3-4x more times it'll fire up and right right again.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The manual for my boat calls for 86 octane, if yours is the same you should try running a lower octane.

As @anmut states, let the engines cool for a while when on the water before shut down. While the engines are cooling run your blowers to remove the excess heat.

My boat has had a couple of instances where it did what yours is doing and now I make sure to let it cool and run the blowers. You could do the same while it’s on the hose, run the blowers.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like what I experienced on a 2006 Mr1 (998 cc/140 hp) motor when the rectifier failed. Should be relatively “easy” to check by swapping rectifiers between the engines.
Interesting. And it only affected it when it was hot?

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Happens occasionally on my 2020 212S. I change plugs when I do oil in the springtime. However, if we're running the motors hard and shut down without giving the motor time to cool down, it's almost like it vapor locks one of the motors. Happens on both, and only after an instance where we've been surfing and the motor doesn't have a chance to idle for a minute or so.

Try letting it idle after warming it up, and before shutting it down. In my case, usually if i let it sit and crank it a 3-4x more times it'll fire up and right right again.
When I tested it on the trailer it never got above idle....

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting. And it only affected it when it was hot?
The Waverunners would start immediately at the start of the day but would be hard or impossible to start afterwards. Eventually it would start and run initially but would not start at all afterwards.

the last time it happened, I was on route back to the ramp when the engine just died and would not restart. Ended up being towed in and later discovered it was a bad rectifier $70 about 10 years ago.

Last edited:

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Once its started does it stall out at all? or just an issue after shutting down manually?

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

My gauge on this is if the water coming out of the pee hole is just luke warm I can turn it off, if its too hot to the touch I leave at idle.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Once its started does it stall out at all? or just an issue after shutting down manually?
It was running for 30 mins on the hose and didn't stall out. But wouldn't restart after I shut it off.