• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

ETHANOL ... 10%, 15%, How much is TOO MUCH?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To be sure I wasn't re-inventing the wheel here, I did a quick (emphasis quick) search and found this thread:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/fuel-additives.4494/#post-76561

So I went searching the vast inter-web and found this:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/09/eric-peters/evil-ethanol/

And the link within the article above:

http://ericpetersautos.com/2014/09/18/curb-evil-ethanol/

Let's just say I've set out on a task to find the best way to reduce the harm ethanol is, can or may be doing to my power toys and vehicles.

I've tried a bunch of additives over time and some seem to work and some are so-so.

Recently I purchased one called Ethanol Defense :

http://www.bellperformance.com/fuel-treatment/ethanol-defense
I got it primarily for my old car....it seems that the way the gas tank is constructed - aluminum baffles welded along the bottom - it is especially susceptible to damage caused when the water that ethanol blends eventually attract and absorb sits at the bottom of the tank and corrodes the welds and the baffles eventually break loose from the pressure of the gas sloshing back and forth during my high speed turns :cool:.

Anyway, I'm in the process of evaluating this stuff - and I realize it may be a moot point since the car is a daily driver and I burn the gas faster than it can do any damage (but they also say it increases gas mileage and that's what I'm looking for too).

The other reason I want to learn more about additives vs. finding real gas with no ethanol (very scarce here in this state) is because of the boat and off-road toys. I would like to avoid problems with ethanol mucking up all the rubber parts, hoses, gaskets, etc. I've already spent too much on carburetor rebuild kits for my liking.

So, are you all concerned with the increase in the amount of ethanol in our fuel supply? Do you have access to, or run ethanol free gas?

What's the scoop? o_O

Pretty sure Yamaha specs say our engines were designed and tested to run on 10% ethanol and no more.

I have "pure" gas at our marina, and fill up with 10% when trailering. The switching between the two messes with the old fuel sender in my boat (newer models recalibrate when filled up - not sure which year they began using the new one). So this is an annoyance that I hope to fix by replacing the fuel sender.

Other than that, use stabil when storing as ethanol absorbs water more than pure gas. I've been running it(10% ethanol) for years with no ill results that I am aware of.

Easy to find 100% gasoline in this part of the country so I use it always, even in my vehicle which will routinely go a few weeks between fill-ups. Also use Techron periodically in my vehicles, Ring Free periodically in the Yamaha and Seafoam or Stabil for all engines that are seasonal or rarely used.

I was filling up yesterday at my local marina with " Valvetect"?? I think it's called.
Anyhow the attendant told me when I asked, "yes it's ethanol free and it also has an additive so no need to purchase Stabil", he tells me as I'm pouring in my Stabil :confused::D.
I love the fact I can get Ethanol free fuel, even at the extra cost, as with running a classic car I know the harm it can do.

i use stabil marine with every fillup. same with my motorhome.

I find that the increased mileage I experience with pure gasoline largely negates the price difference at the pump. Any difference remaining is well worth it. With the boat, I have no idea if this is true. Never put a drop of corn piss in that tank and never will.

I had these printed up to put on my boat and gas cans......in the hopes a family member may fill them sometime....then...

At the raleigh boat show i saw this decal standard on most of the boats at the gas cap

image.jpg

How much is too much? Any ethanol is too much, IMHO.

OK, I'm going to start this off by admitting something kind of shameful. While I do my best to take great care of my truck and the boat. I have a riding mower that gets no love at all. :(

I have always used the gas from our local gas station in it (not sure what percentage of ethanol it is) and I have never treated it with anything. Some years I run it out of gas at the end of the season. Some years I have not. If there is gas left in the tank at the end of the year. I have never drained it out and I will start it up the following season with the same leftover fuel. As you can see, NO LOVE!
I tell you this to say that I have always questioned just how bad ethanol really is. I have owned this mower for nearly 15 years now and it always starts first time, everytime and runs like a top. Am I just lucky or are we blowing this ethanol thing way out of proportion?

I use non Ethanol when I can, but most of the time I use Premium with Stabil Marine. Ive never had an issue.

i use stabil marine with every fillup. same with my motorhome.

I use non Ethanol when I can, but most of the time I use Premium with Stabil Marine. Ive never had an issue.

Is there a connection between ethanol and stabil i'm not aware of. I use marine stabil on a regular basis as well....ring free or seafoam on occasion

@scot71 Your riding mower is beating the odds. If you start treating it well now, it will likely crap out! :)

Not directly boat related but the Oregon legislature is trying to ban Ethanol in gas.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/21/oregon-may-get-rid-of-ethanol-in-gasoline/

If it passes there it will only be a matter of time until Washington State does too. The two states seem to do what the other does all the time.

I wish Florida would "sack up" and ban that crap. It's definitely a boon to the economy though, boat repair shops are loaded with fuel related repair jobs.

OK, I'm going to start this off by admitting something kind of shameful. While I do my best to take great care of my truck and the boat. I have a riding mower that gets no love at all. :(

I have always used the gas from our local gas station in it (not sure what percentage of ethanol it is) and I have never treated it with anything. Some years I run it out of gas at the end of the season. Some years I have not. If there is gas left in the tank at the end of the year. I have never drained it out and I will start it up the following season with the same leftover fuel. As you can see, NO LOVE!
I tell you this to say that I have always questioned just how bad ethanol really is. I have owned this mower for nearly 15 years now and it always starts first time, everytime and runs like a top. Am I just lucky or are we blowing this ethanol thing way out of proportion?
I do the same with my mower, I've never had a problem with it. It hasn't been started in a few months, and I didn't put any Stabil or anything in it before it sat, it started on the second pull the other day and ran great.

I use "contains up to 10%" in my boat and add marine Stabil every other fill up. It gets used at least once every month though...normally.... It might go over a month with this weather we are having right now:-)

I really hope that gets some traction and passes in Oregon @PolarXJ
I think most of our gas gets refined inWashington and gets transferred down to Oregon by pipeline like the Olympic Gas line. So it would make sense if Washington did it as well.
There is zero advantage to ethanol unless you are a mechanic, a corn farmer in the Midwest, a lobbyist, or a politician.

Ethanol free is in good supply around here so I always use it in the boat. Why invite increased potential for problems?

My wife once accidentally filled our BMW with E85 (full tank). Honest mistake remembering to go for the high octane number and not used to stations having E85. It didn't like it much to say the least. I figured out her mistake after only 10 miles around town. Pumped it all out and filled with premium and additive running a long road trip. Worked out fine, but the dealer would have installed a complete new fuel system had I let them fix the mistake. Ethanol effects are real so consider how they may impact your situation (frequency of use, climate, storage, and how you run it on the water).

Wow, you guys have been luckier than I've been with mowers and small motors... I've trashed a mower and a string trimmer by using E15 crap and leaving gas in it (apparently). Both needed a carb rebuild and parts and labor +/- = value of trimmer. Sigh. Glad to see here that the boats will tolerate E10 at least.

Back