• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

EV discussion - hate or love?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My gripe about EV's is why cant they make them look cool?

Every EV car seems to always look like a Tesla 3 with different badging. Even the EV mustang is this way. OMHO the Tesla Model S was the only EV remotely decant looking. The Ford Lightning seems to be the only exception as it looks like a normal truck which I find ok.
Like this (although we should make this it's own thread and not distract the meme thread)
View attachment 220855
20240529_111614.jpg

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm seriously looking at the IONIQ 5N. I have the 5 Limited now. This would be nothing more than a mid life crisis car (a little late LOL).

Generic overview of 5N:

Drift mode:

There are tons of videos of people playing with drift mode....

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
INDIFFERENT, for now. 🤷‍♂️

Still have about 28 more payments on my leftover 2020 Ram. Will probably wait until the Ram is paid off before buying a new vehicle. I’m kinda excited to see what the offerings are in the next two years. The Ramcharger gasoline/electric (coming out early next year) would be my first choice in vehicles, but we would probably get something that is easier for my wife to drive.

Jim

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nothing but love for ours...three years old, 35k miles, great performance, and no issues.

1717033006103.jpeg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tesla Y with 12k miles. Very impressed. Must test drive to see what you are missing.

lj1978

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Telsa model s with free unlimited super charging for life very fun car and fast. Downside doesn't get mile for mile as you would think.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not a fan, a lot of smoke an mirrors surrounding the actual "green-ness."

I like the concept though.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
IMHO, EV = the internet in 1998-2002 (if you were around for that debacle). Great in concept, amazing potential, but too much hype and not enough technology for mass adoption... yet.

While I'd consider a 350 mile range SUV as a second vehicle, there's no way I'll give up my gasser truck until towing range can match my Ram, which is 400+ miles hauling 6k lbs.

The other issue that people refuse to speak to (mainly because they can't) is what a 10 year old EV looks like as far as dependability and cost. There's a vast workforce of blue collar workers that buy used cars for a couple thousand dollars to travel to and from work. Most can and will do their own repairs to get 250k+ miles out of them. Will a 300 mile range vehicle still get 300 miles after 100k miles on the odo? Will parts and repairs be cheap enough for to include these necessary people into the EV adoption strategy? We won't know for another 10-15 years.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've got a Model 3 Performance, I really like it. For most people, it will suit their every day need, but I still need a truck for truck stuff. Don't particularly care for the 'green' aspect of it, I bought it because it was about the same price as any other decent commuter sedan, and its cheap as hell to operate and maintain (and is the fastest car you'll encounter on most days).

Previously, was going through a 36 gallon tank every week or so on my truck, putting a ton of miles on it. Filled it up for only the second time this year last week. I had thought about just getting a new truck instead, but it would cost about the same as my EV to upgrade the truck to a current model year at the same trim. My truck should last me quite a while now with it limited to boat towing, beach driving, and home projects. Perhaps when EV trucks mature a little more I can consolidate back down to one vehicle - but for someone who just drives a car and rarely, if ever, needs to refuel the same day they start with a full tank, and owns their home or can charge at work - EVs will already meet or exceed your needs. If you're hauling shit on the daily, live in an apartment or the city, or are driving 250+ miles per day, keep the ICE vehicle.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm in the "I don't want an electric car the looks like an electric car" camp. I do like the looks of the newer Tesla S and the Polestar sedan is pretty slick. A customer of mine is right across the street from the Rivian plant in Normal IL and I've seen several of their SUV's running around - they look pretty nice as well.

Now that I'm towing the boat more often a sedan would not be feasible but maybe an electric SUV with enough towing capacity would be. I'm not planning on buying one anytime soon but am way more open to the concept than I was a few years ago.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Best option for family: have EV for running around the area where you live and have truck/suv to tow the boat and use for long trips.

Only thing left is convince my wife to drive F150 so I can have fun with Tesla :)

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Reminds me of when we all rode horses and people complained about those damn horseless carriages. I recall the gas station pumping your gas washing your windshield checking your oil and selling you 2 dollars worth and you had 8 gallons of gas . When gas gets too expensive to be practical we eventually work around it , The greedy become the needy!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Picking up our new Volvo XC 90 T8 tomorrow which is a modified Hybrid. I'm curious to see how this works. My wife's new corporate HQ they are moving into in Q3 is supposed to have 450 charging stations in the parking garage. From what I have read the XC 90 will get around 36 miles on battery alone. So essentially, she should be able to charge at home, drive to work in full EV, charge at work for free, and drive home on EV. I guess we'll see how this works.

As of right now the consensus I have read are that hybrids are the way to go right now, and not full EV.

I'm also curious of the 455 HP this new XC 90 has compared to the T6 we are turning in that had around 280 HP.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The other issue that people refuse to speak to (mainly because they can't) is what a 10 year old EV looks like as far as dependability and cost. There's a vast workforce of blue collar workers that buy used cars for a couple thousand dollars to travel to and from work. Most can and will do their own repairs to get 250k+ miles out of them. Will a 300 mile range vehicle still get 300 miles after 100k miles on the odo? Will parts and repairs be cheap enough for to include these necessary people into the EV adoption strategy? We won't know for another 10-15 years.
I can.....a little.....We have a group of guys in our shop that have started a "Leaf Club". They're finding used Nissan Leaves for next to nothing with about 40-50mi of range capability. They drive them the 15mi to work, then the 15mi home and are paying absurdly cheap prices (one guy got his for $1,500). Another guy has had the battery "near failure" for several years now. He solved the problem by getting permission to plug into the 110V beside the shop. So he gets the extra 3 mi of charge he needs over the day to not drain the battery below 5% on the way home.

The shift is no different than when fuel injection came on the scene. All these "damn computers" are going to make it impossible for the average guy to maintain......No they didn't, we just adapted, because that's what guys that buy $2k cars and run them into the ground do. They adapt to what's ahead of them, and make it work. I've been watching that happen for decades now.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can.....a little.....We have a group of guys in our shop that have started a "Leaf Club". They're finding used Nissan Leaves for next to nothing with about 40-50mi of range capability. They drive them the 15mi to work, then the 15mi home and are paying absurdly cheap prices (one guy got his for $1,500). Another guy has had the battery "near failure" for several years now. He solved the problem by getting permission to plug into the 110V beside the shop. So he gets the extra 3 mi of charge he needs over the day to not drain the battery below 5% on the way home.
A small local dealership that I trust had a really clean Leaf on the lot last year with 25,000 miles for about $6k. I considered it as a replacement for my airport car but its 76 miles roundtrip and the place where I park only has about 5 charging stations which are always full. Would have been fine for running to/from work but didn't make sense if I couldn't use it to get to/from the airport. :-/

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would never buy one. My brother in law is on his second Tesla. He bough the Model X and it's a nice vehicle. We took it on a 215 mile trip and had to stop for 30 min for charge. Then on the way back it said we had enough to get home and then changed it to 10% or less once we had driven 85 mph for 30 min. Stopped again to charge. There was an issue with the charging cable, had to move to another charger, another 30 min waste of time. I guess if if was a second car that you drove to/from work it might be OK.

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

The shift is no different than when fuel injection came on the scene. All these "damn computers" are going to make it impossible for the average guy to maintain......No they didn't, we just adapted, because that's what guys that buy $2k cars and run them into the ground do. They adapt to what's ahead of them, and make it work. I've been watching that happen for decades now.
Fuel injected vs. carb... not quite apples to apples, but I get where you're coming from. But also, $1500 to drive 50 miles a day and no more? Pretty shoddy ROI vs a gasser (for now).

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Would never buy one. My brother in law is on his second Tesla. He bough the Model X and it's a nice vehicle. We took it on a 215 mile trip and had to stop for 30 min for charge. Then on the way back it said we had enough to get home and then changed it to 10% or less once we had driven 85 mph for 30 min. Stopped again to charge. There was an issue with the charging cable, had to move to another charger, another 30 min waste of time. I guess if if was a second car that you drove to/from work it might be OK.
My cousin sold his 2021 X after 9 months basically due to build quality. It was a fun ride, but cheap all the way around. He said certain carwashes would make the pillar material between the doors turn colors... weird shit.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My cousin sold his 2021 X after 9 months basically due to build quality. It was a fun ride, but cheap all the way around. He said certain carwashes would make the pillar material between the doors turn colors... weird shit.
I thought the first Tesla he bought years ago felt like a very cheap build all the way around and horrible ride. The new X model seems significantly better in the build quality and ride.