• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First boat!

LethFT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey All,

Just wanted to say Hi and thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge that has already helped me and will continue to help. After lurking and researching I finally pulled the trigger on my first boat. A new to me 2004 SX230. It's a little rough around the edges cosmetically but the motors happily ran no problem at 10K RPM with zero cavitation during water test. Now begins the long process of getting it back to it's former glory. Lots of little things to replace and touch up. A few more involved repairs but I have no doubt with all the info here I'll get through it. I'm in electronics repair by trade so I'll have no issue on that side. Have some history with turning a wrench on my own cars but this will be my first time working on my own boat. Long list of parts already on order with several more orders planned in the near future. Thanks again!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and congratulations on the purchase!

We like pictures so try to take as many as you can as you do repairs to get this boat back in tip-top shape and keep us updated on the process.

Seattle_Phaeton

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations and welcome. Remember it does not have to be perfect to start enjoying it on the water but reliable and safe are priorities.

LethFT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks! Yes the plan is to fix the glaring issues on Saturday and give it a good detail. Will have it out on the water Sunday so I'll take some pics then.

LethFT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Happy to report. We took her out Sunday after spending the day cleaning and fixing up some of the issues. Right out of the gate though we clogged the jets on the canal out to the lake with some submerged plants and lily pads etc. After some extended time trying to get everything out of the clean out ports we got her up and running and cleared the over heat warning. The rest of the day was enjoyed with out issues. Although I'm still trying to figure out why one of the pissers is just barely dribbling water while the other has great flow. At high RPM the other 2 flow good water. Pics as requested. 20210905_130429.jpg20210905_124250.jpg20210905_115559.jpg

LethFT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Probably a kink in the hose or it's clogged
Going to pull that hose when I get back to the boat in a week or so and see if its just the line that's clogged or if the thermostat is the culprit. Fingers crossed.

Seattle_Phaeton

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Might try running some string trimmer line up the pisser. Second time I took my boat out one pisser was not working. Quickly read the suggestion on the this site and had a small mud nest from an insect. Was back up and running in no time. Glad you got the boat at and had fun.

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
When I store my boat, I cut about a 3” long strip of foam caulking backer rod and stuff it about halfway up the pissers. I’ve never forgotten to take it out, but it fits loose enough for the water pressure to just blow it out if I do. Mud dobbers love small holes down in the southern states.

LethFT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Small insect mud nest was the problem. Used the engine flush adapter to send water down the hose which barely dribbled out. Gave it a little more pressure and it all came out. Now have excellent water flow to match the other one. IMG_1041.jpgIMG_1042.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, check out the "known issues' link in my signature below,

be especially mindful of the scupper valve and if you have to remove spark plug #3,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and watch BuckBuck's video of "how the cooling water flows" it's a great introduction to our MR1's

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Small insect mud nest was the problem. Used the engine flush adapter to send water down the hose which barely dribbled out. Gave it a little more pressure and it all came out. Now have excellent water flow to match the other one. View attachment 163841View attachment 163842
Next time just open the starboard stern storage hatch and grab the line in question and squeeze it, starting at the part closest to the outside of the boat. You'll find the lump, and just keep squeezing until it clears. The hatches on your boat make getting to those lines REALLY easy (I used to own a 2005). Mud daubers love to clog them.

LethFT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It was the lower one so had to twist and contort myself in the starboard stern hatch to be able to reach it through the small access port. But never thought to just squeeze the line. Keep that in mind if there is a next time.