• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Future 27FT FSH?

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think there is a desire for a 27FT FSH.
Haven't seen any rumors of one being designed, but I have to believe it must be on Yamaha's radar.

My hope is if they brought one to market, it would have a walk-in bathroom like the bow riders.
Maybe drop the top opening center console, for a side door?
Perhaps a built-in cooler?
Thoughts?

I personally would buy one in a second, but what about you?
What features would you like to see in a 27 FSH?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Haven't seen any rumors of one being designed, but I have to believe it must be on Yamaha's radar.

My hope is if they brought one to market, it would have a walk-in bathroom like the bow riders.
Thoughts?

You know, I was hoping that survey that Yamaha sent out would have been asking those questions..

At 27’, they cold increase the beam as well, which opens up a lot of possibilities. As long as the beam was kept at say 9’ and change like the current 27’ boats it would not be too hard to trailer, especially here in the mid west, I think $40 gets you a year long wide load permit. But even with a 8’6” beam, the boat would, in theory be better on fuel and a bit faster on the top end.

At 27’ there is the possibility for a small berth for two people as well that could extend up under the foredeck, which would be pretty awesome. That would work well for your suggested side entry into the head / berth compartment. This be a great place to store rods and such horizontally above the berth with some more storage that is typical for that type of area. Nothing fancy, just a decent size berth where you could crash and get a good nights sleep.

It would also be possible to have a small black tank with a macerated pump out for the head, as well as a small sink in that area. So perhaps the toilet in the back towards the engines with the berth going forward with a place underneath for the trolling motor batteries. Maybe even a flip out head from under the berth? Those seem like a cool space saving way to have it all in a small space. Or just keep the porta potty and have it on a flip out set up?

Another thing that could be added would be a very very small galley that could be incorporated with the sink with a small Microwave, and a place where you could set up an electric kettle or back packer size stove to make meals on.

In deck fish boxes that either drain directly over the side, or are macerated. These could be insulated and would provide a lot more storage for fenders and such, wet storage as well.

A through the stem anchor roller and windlass? At least as a possible option.

Redesign the at least the aft starboard live well to be more suitable for decent size fish that are caught to be kept in there. The 25’ fsh boats are better than the 22’ fsh ones, at least from the pics I’ve seen.

More powerful stators on the engines, seems like it would not be too hard to increase them to say 400-500 watts each, at 400 watts that would give 28 amps per engine of alternator power, a decent amount of charging power.

A dedicated tackle center of some kind built into the helm, that would leave the storage pod on the starboard side open for people to throw their dry bags into. Perhaps even one of those tackle centers with a built in live well, and a small sink, with a prep station for tackle or cutting bait.. if this were done it would free up that aft starboard live well for another storage area, perhaps a drop in type of refrigerator / freezer combo? Just a little engineering to keep the weight balance neutral instead of relying on a full aft live well to offset the weight of the batteries in the aft port quarter.

Aerators on the live wells like the one that is on my 210 FSH?

Intake strainer of some kind for the raw water wash down and live well intakes.

For the water sports family, a tow point on the T top.

Hull, while the 25’ and new 22” FSH hulls look to be pretty good, perhaps a touch more Carolina flare up in the bow? That’s a tough one though that eats into the interior beam a bit.

Engines, perhaps they could adapt some of their snowmobile power options to their boats, mainly the turbo charged engines that would, or should deliver more power with greater economy. I believe their Genesis 998cc turbo charged engines are basically a TR-1 engine with turbo charging.. I couldn‘t find a horsepower estimate with a quick search on line. With a turbocharger gone would be the SC clutch issues, and it appears that the Genesis engine comes with a pop off valve. This is pie in the sky, but hey a smaller lighter engine that produces the same power at the 1.8? Or perhaps turbo charging the 1.8L engine? Turbo’s take up a bit more room and there is some heat management to contend with…
Seems to be a winning combination. Depending on a couple of factors, turbo charged engines are typically unaffected by density altitude changes up to around 9000’.

Just a few idea’s for a possible 27’ FSH..

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
triple Turbo TR-1s?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If Yamaha were to produce a 27' FSH (which they should based on the demand for the 25 FSH) they would use an existing hull and engine combo. They will not produce an engine or hull that is purpose built for one boat.

Just like the 19, 21 and 25's use the same hull as the existing sport boats with a different top half. And with existing engines in the line up.

It's always cool to dream "pie in the sky" but many times a MFG needs to draw the line and evaluate who they are trying to compete with. Yamaha has a nice niche in the 19-21-25' boats. As there are plenty of center consoles out there, but once you start talking berths, deep freeboard and generators for AC equipment you fall into a whole different class of boat which a Yamaha jetboat will not compete well in.

Those markets are owned by multiple outboard center consoles that are designed for offshore. Every time I see a 24-25 Yamaha in those offshore videos, I understand those can go there, but should they? Heck no.

That's not to downplay the desire for a 25-27' jet center console in other areas though.

As far as the Genesis 998 from the sleds. It's roughly 135hp as it's used in the YXZ SXS, and 205-208hp in it's turbo sled version. These are high revving engines that work very well with snowmobile CVT transmissions. I have actually owned two of the 1049 triples and two of the 4 cyclinder Apex's. They work well in 500-700 sleds and motorcycles as well. (the Apex was derived from the R1 motorcycle engine)

But in a boat, the torque and 180hp of the 1.8ltr engines is a better fit. Let alone the 250hp SVHO version. Reliability and torque were well matched with the boats. And even though some issues with SC were mentioned in the post above, the failures or issues are relatively low for the amount of these on the water.

But let's be real, a 27' jet powered center console is not going to turn existing boat owners over. It will appease to the existing jet faithful, or those that have not owned an outboard center console before. The outboard will always be a preferred choice in that price range. The jet center console will be exciting for the family that has yet to commit to boating and wants to keep their options open.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I agree with most of the thoughts in the above post. However, there could be a market for a 27’ Yamaha CC. Maybe, not with fisherman, but with families for day cruising. I see a lot of folks in larger CC’s who don’t seem to fish, or do much fishing.

Jim

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with most of the thoughts in the above post. However, there could be a market for a 27’ Yamaha CC. Maybe, not with fisherman, but with families for day cruising. I see a lot of folks in larger CC’s who don’t seem to fish, or do much fishing.

Jim
Yamaha could just adapt their existing 27' CC to jet engines and import the hull mold to the US.

1679331872013.png

Yamaha's biggest Center console in their outboard line is 26ft. So they have decided worldwide to not get into the larger offshore center consoles based on the market and demand.

So again, unless they can utilize the 275 hull's bottom half, they would not be able to recoup that R&D on one boat in the entire line worldwide.

1679332136715.png

Last edited:

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good points.
I don't agree with any of them but I get your arguments. :cool:

Personally I will never buy a boat again with outboard engines.
I love that amazing swim deck in the back, and that is what appeals to me.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just don’t see much of a market in my area for a 27‘+ FSH CC for the serious fisherman. Most all the CC’s I see at 25’+ are dual outboards with large fuel tanks (165+ gallons). Even if Yamaha hit a 27 FSH out of the park, I just don’t see much of a demand in my area for guys who do offshore fishing. Don’t get me wrong, I love the new 220 FSH and the 252 FSH, but I am not a serious fisherman.

i think, however, a 27 FSH would be a great family boat for my area.

Jim

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good points.

Any time I’m looking at other boats, and I look at them all, I always come back to the swim deck on my boat. For fishing, I land all my fish from the bottom step. If I’m jigging with a live minnow I’m sitting on the transom with my feet on the top swim step. If I’m hanging out in a cove, I’m on the swim steps.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any time I’m looking at other boats, and I look at them all, I always come back to the swim deck on my boat. For fishing, I land all my fish from the bottom step. If I’m jigging with a live minnow I’m sitting on the transom with my feet on the top swim step. If I’m hanging out in a cove, I’m on the swim steps.
Good points.

You both are agreeing with Yamaha on this. They build recreational boats, not fishing boats. Their unique features are not attractive for fisherman. They are attractive to pleasure boaters who think they will fish once in a while. This is the whole reason why Yamaha will not go too deep into a fish specific hull.

Anyone who has ever fished seriously will not consider a jetboat without having a bias based on brand loyalty, or an overwhelming desire for that swimplatform.

The control you get with an outboard, and the ability to control speed is so superior with an outboard, a jet is out of the running right away.

look at the most logical places to use a jet for fishing. Like the flats boats around South Padre Island. They all run outboards even there. And for those that happen to go jet, they use an outboard with a jet drive lower unit. The benefits of flushing and repowering with outboards outweighs it all.

On that same note, most of us that inland fish, cannot make the layout of a Yamaha boat work. For the reason I have a fishing boat restoration going on in my shop right now. I can't fish walleye properly in my yamaha, and would dread doing it in an FSH.

Let's also remind ourselves, Yamaha has diversified their boat lines with pontoon and fishing boat lines that address that concern. They are not going to compete with themselves inland. And won't compete offshore with the outboard offerings.

I'll say it again, the FSH boats are a niche product that appeal to the Yamaha faithful, or the recreational boaters that dip their toes in fishing. They will continue to use the hulls they have, as they are identical from the rub rail down to their pleasure boat counterparts of the same size. That's just plain good business for them.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
While I agree with several of your points, I respectfully disagree with you on a couple of points.

As a FYI, I use my 210 FSH almost exclusively for fishing, I had 39 boat days last year, 47 the year before, and am shooting for 60 boating days this year.

The speed control with an outboard Vs my jet drives. With the analogue / cable drive set up on my jet drive I can vary the thrust infinitely to control speed from a barely perceptible creep on up while trolling, with an outboard, unless you are using the new EX helm master system and the latest generation of Yamaha outboards, its either in gear or out of gear, and most outboards in idle ahead are going around 5 mph, and that’s way too fast for the fresh water fishing I do here in the north central states as the magic number seems to be 1.5-2 mph with crank baits, 1mph with cowbell rigs and flashers. From my understanding how the E drive system works the reverse bucket is either in TDE or Full idle ahead and that makes that drive system unappealing to me as its either nothing or 3 mph.

I do agree with you that there is more of a sliding issue with a jet boat while trolling due to the lack of the keel effect from an I/O or outboard outdrive, this especially an issue with a rear quartering wind. My friend solved that issue for me with a deployable skeg that I attach to the rear port quarter with sea sucker suction cups. Takes about 30 seconds to install and 5 seconds to remove.

Also agree with you mostly about the Yamaha hulls. I did call Yamaha corporate with the specific question, what is the difference between all of the hulls, the part that actually touches the water? The CSR told me that 19’s, 21’s, 22’s, & 25’s are all the same except for the length, with the exception of the 27’ boats and wake boats which do have a different hulls. I was sure the 25’ FSH was a new hull, but the only difference is the freeboard height is taller on the 25’ FSH.

I’m curious about your comments about “serious” fisherman, fishing seriously in a jet boat, would dread fishing for walleye on a FSH. Have you ever fished off of a FSH or CC ? I have taken many a north central states die hard fisherman out fishing on my FSH, upon getting on board they comment / ask, “so why the center console?”. By the end of the day, to woman and man, they have all said, “I never would have considered a center console, but this thing is awesome to fish off of!”. I wish my Dad was still around to go fishing with me on my FSH, he would have absolutely loved It. One of the things he would have loved was the built in live well. I like the built in live well to keep 20” walleye alive for either meat or during tournaments, I’ve had four 20” wallies in my live well and they were all happy. The next thing is the 22 rod holders on the boat, of which there 6 that can be used for fishing at one time, 3-30* rod holders in the cap rails and one 0* rod holder in the transom per side. I’ve had six lines out trolling at once with ho issues, makes for some exciting double and triple hook up action.

I assume not being able to make the layout work for fishing is intended for the bow rider type of boat. While this is my first boat, my Dad had a small cabin cruiser type of boat when I was young that boat was used exclusively for fishing. I did a lot of research into boats when I was looking to buy my first boat, initially I was looking at the Warrior, Ranger, and Lund type of fishing boats, then a friend of mine who has a Yamaha bow rider suggested I look at the Yamaha’s, and I was looking at one of the bow riders. Then my friend who has three decades of professional sport fishing kept steering me towards the 210 FSH, I had never considered a CC before, he kept pushing for the FSH, one of the things he kept saying was the FSH would do everything a bow rider could, but the bow rider could not do everything the FSH could. Both have self bailing cockpits, something I have really come to appreciate, but the FSH has the raw water wash down, I didn’t have any experience with a raw water wash down but it sure made sense. I can’t imagine fishing on a boat without a self bailing deck and a way to wash all the fishy stuff on the deck overboard without going through the bilge, one of the things that the Ranger, Warrior, and Lund boats do not have. Ranger does make a line of CC console boats that have self bailing decks and appear to be their top of the line boats… nice boats I might add.

Again, respectfully submitted.. everyone has their likes and dislikes and what works for them.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All great points. We should all be more specific when we are talking fishing. As an FSH is made for fishing. So yes, it's a great fishing boat, for particular kinds of fishing on particular waters. And obviously perfect for you as a crossover boater enjoying fishing and recreation.

That being said, more specifically, walleye fishing on Lake Erie or a great lake is totally different than walleye fishing on one of Minnesota's 10,000+ lakes. The very reason you will never see a center console fishing walleye in MN. Other than those that use it on big water and wanted to compromise.

You also won't see primary motors being used when trolling either with outboards. We all have electric or 9.9-15hp kickers used to get proper slow speeds. In fact, the only folks using their primary motor for trolling, are either in heavy wind, or using downriggers/planer boards on large bodies like Mille Lacs or Lake of the woods. Even there, those are the large launch boats.

And even those guided launches on Lake of the woods, they are the most uncomfortable thing to fish on, as there is no place to sit. You are literally standing all day long. We grew up fishing 4-5 people out of a Lund S-16, as we used controlled drifts and side trolling allowing more lines in the water without tangling. I can't even imagine doing that in the layout of a center console. Let alone the lack of seats that actually faced the water.

This is the very reason companies like Lund, Alumacraft, etc have thrived in the world of walleyes like MN. You will never see a pro walleye fisherman in a center console. The closest thing you may see is a dual console walleye boat, still with front and aft seating.

That was my mistake when I said, serious fisherman. I should have been more specific to say, serious fisherman in MN, or my region, as we just do not see center conoles in MN, hardly ever. It's just not a good layout for fishing walleye, pike and panfish in inland lakes under 10,000 acres.

If I were dragging lines in rod holders all day, you can make just about any type of boat work. But when you have four people dragging lines in their hands, where they want to face the water, your options are narrowed to a boat with seats facing the water, if not swivel seats. 8hr days are not meant to be spent on a bench or sitting sideways to get a rod over the water.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Right on….everyone has their preferences, and tools sharpened for specific tasks.

The big take away is that we are out there fishing and having a good time!

Waymoretosea

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Thoughts?

I have been wishing for Yamaha to come out with a 27 ft FSH. Some features on my list would be…
A head with a macerator would be ideal! Also a flared bow to keep the sea spray off. A windless for the anchor. A windshield wiper. Glass enclosures for sides of center console. Radar included would be cool… especially for night cruising. Knob controls in addition to touch screen. Larger fuel tank. 250 gallons would be great…built in VHF radio…obviously the price would reflect but totally worth the cost to have these things already built in…

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been wishing for Yamaha to come out with a 27 ft FSH. Some features on my list would be…
A head with a macerator would be ideal! Also a flared bow to keep the sea spray off. A windless for the anchor. A windshield wiper. Glass enclosures for sides of center console. Radar included would be cool… especially for night cruising. Knob controls in addition to touch screen. Larger fuel tank. 250 gallons would be great…built in VHF radio…obviously the price would reflect but totally worth the cost to have these things already built in…
Once you start doing that than you approaching the price of very nice CC boats already out there. They would be quieter, lighter, purpose built, more fuel efficient as well as much better built. I just don't see Yamaha competing in that space. Not too mention Single and Twin Outboards that would do much better in continued salt water use. Only other place a boat that size would be very useful would be the Great Lakes.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plenty and a Sustainable Market are different things. When you start getting to that size of boat, it is not coming in and out of the water most likely and will be sitting in Salt Water. The OB that I see have their motors raised up on the CC. Seems like the OB's are going to fair better for that usage at that size.

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I see 28 ft, 32 ft center consoles being trailered everyday, lots of them out around the islands etc.

That is no big deal. 🙂
My dad trailered a 30 ft my entire life.