• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Future 27FT FSH?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also a flared bow to keep the sea spray off.
As seen with the other FSH models, Yamaha will not make a base hull that cannot be used across the line. The bottom half of the current FSH models is shared by their pleasure boat version.

The only profitable way to produce boats in the quantity that they are currently doing is by shared components, hulls, motors etc.

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Plenty and a Sustainable Market are different things. When you start getting to that size of boat, it is not coming in and out of the water most likely and will be sitting in Salt Water. The OB that I see have their motors raised up on the CC. Seems like the OB's are going to fair better for that usage at that size.
The crew at marina where I keep my other boat (29 ft Jeanneau NC 895 Sport) pulls the boat out of the water with a forklift and cleans the boat before putting it on my storage bunks — every time I return from an outting on the boat. Mine's not the biggest boat that they regularly put in and pull out. They have four forklifts and just ordered a fifth that can handle a 55 ft boat. Here in the Redneck Riviera, it's common for boats to be "docked" in dry storage by valets, and a 27 ft boat would be somewhere within the average size for a boat that stays out of the water when it's not being used.

With that said, not a single marina in my area will take a jet boat for dry storage — too much of a hassle to train their valets on how to drive a jet boat and rinse its motors.

Sherwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I really wanted a 255 fsh, settled for a 210. A 27 fsh would really pinch my boating budget. I am retired and have put 70 hours on my fsh since last fall. So I think I'm putting more $ in the gas suck hole then most. (could be totally wrong).
I would need something with superior gas mileage to temp me into trading in.
Catamarans with lifting foils are pretty dam cool.
Love to see like 25 foot jet Catamaran with a foil, that's not out of control price wise.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If they can keep the beam at 8.5 ft that would be awesome.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My guess is that the beam would be more than 8.5’. The beam on the current 27’ Yamahas is 9’ and most 27’ center consoles I see have beams between 9’3” and 9’6”. Most guys in my area would have no qualms about trailering a boat this size and wouldn’t even mark it as an oversized load.

Jim

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very small chance. Yamaha would not produce a new model without starting with a hull they already have.

The popularity of the 25' FSH would lead a person to believe they may want to produce a larger one, but why would they start with a new hull, when they have the 27' already.

The chances of a 27" using the bottom half of the existing 27' hull is by far more likely. It's how they came up with ever other FSH in the fleet. Identical to it's sportboat sibling from the rub rail down.

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Very small chance. Yamaha would not produce a new model without starting with a hull they already have.

The popularity of the 25' FSH would lead a person to believe they may want to produce a larger one, but why would they start with a new hull, when they have the 27' already.

The chances of a 27" using the bottom half of the existing 27' hull is by far more likely. It's how they came up with ever other FSH in the fleet. Identical to it's sportboat sibling from the rub rail down.
I agree, makes sense that they would use the same hull, so maybe the 27' is getting ready to be updated to 28'? it's the only model that hasn't been changed since it came out. all other models received new hull designs over the last few years.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Possibly, but hull designs get tweeks every 4-5 years and replaced 8-10 years. The 275 is sitll a baby based on Yamaha boat history. But anything could happen.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Possibly, but hull designs get tweeks every 4-5 years and replaced 8-10 years. The 275 is sitll a baby based on Yamaha boat history. But anything could happen.
Yes I am thinking they start with 27' and make it an FSH with an 8.5' beam.

SDAnderson51

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You both are agreeing with Yamaha on this. They build recreational boats, not fishing boats. Their unique features are not attractive for fisherman. They are attractive to pleasure boaters who think they will fish once in a while. This is the whole reason why Yamaha will not go too deep into a fish specific hull.

Anyone who has ever fished seriously will not consider a jetboat without having a bias based on brand loyalty, or an overwhelming desire for that swimplatform.

The control you get with an outboard, and the ability to control speed is so superior with an outboard, a jet is out of the running right away.

look at the most logical places to use a jet for fishing. Like the flats boats around South Padre Island. They all run outboards even there. And for those that happen to go jet, they use an outboard with a jet drive lower unit. The benefits of flushing and repowering with outboards outweighs it all.

On that same note, most of us that inland fish, cannot make the layout of a Yamaha boat work. For the reason I have a fishing boat restoration going on in my shop right now. I can't fish walleye properly in my yamaha, and would dread doing it in an FSH.

Let's also remind ourselves, Yamaha has diversified their boat lines with pontoon and fishing boat lines that address that concern. They are not going to compete with themselves inland. And won't compete offshore with the outboard offerings.

I'll say it again, the FSH boats are a niche product that appeal to the Yamaha faithful, or the recreational boaters that dip their toes in fishing. They will continue to use the hulls they have, as they are identical from the rub rail down to their pleasure boat counterparts of the same size. That's just plain good business for them.
They may not be a great fishing boat for the big waters, but for places like Lake Powell and Flaming Gorge they are great!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Look how gorgeous that 255 fsh is. Imagine a 27 fsh. The storage would be immense. I'm waiting for Captain Leon to comment on this thread. As I was 90% sure he was going to take the dive into a 25' FSH after his video showing it off at the NYC boat show two years ago.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do think if they go with a 27‘ or 28’ FSH it will have a the 9’ beam of the 27’ boat…if you’re concerned about towing I do not think you will get hassled with a 9’ beam boat. My hunch is that it would only be as wide as your trailer fenders are now. What would be great is if they sharpened the entry of the hull and maybe went to a little steeper dead rise to help with the rougher water penetration and ride smoothness, yeah sitting still would be a bit more corky but the ride quality would be a lot better.