• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas in the exhaust??

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok I’m working on taking some oil out of the engine because the person I got it from over filled it. And as I was going in I noticed that there was water coming out of the exhaust but I smelled it and it smells like gas ⛽?? Anyone know why ????

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gas in the exhaust would indicate you don't have a plug firing correctly. Gas in the oil would indicate that you have a piston that is not sealing correctly (or pretty worn).

First thing I would do is pull and inspect the plugs. Any fouling? Next I would do a compression test on all cylinders.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or ECU going bad...

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gas in the exhaust would indicate you don't have a plug firing correctly. Gas in the oil would indicate that you have a piston that is not sealing correctly (or pretty worn).

First thing I would do is pull and inspect the plugs. Any fouling? Next I would do a compression test on all cylinders.
ok I took it to a marina. They indicated that there was to much oil and it was causing the air filter compartment to leak oil into it. So we ran the boat and I let it sit for about an hour and tries starting it and it wouldn’t start, cranked it quite a few times. So I pulled the plugs about 2 hours later and noticed one of the plugs was wet . So I replaced them. Started right up, I started it maybe like 3 times for about 4/5 seconds each time. And when I was getting off the boat I smelled gas mixed with the water by the exhaust.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If the injectors are pulsing too much you’ll get unturned fuel out the exhaust. Another possibility is a bad injector. The symptoms you describe would point me in that direction. An injector that doesn’t shut off completely will leak fuel into the engine, even after its shut off (bleeds residual fuel pressure). This will flood that particular cylinder causing a hard start, and wash down the walls and past piston rings into the oil. My guess is the oil was filled properly at one time, but adding the gas to it raises the level. I’d pull the injectors and have them tested, and while they’re being tested change the oil. Do not run the engine on this diluted oil any more.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe a member, near Plymouth, IN has the YDS software to diagnose the issue. This would confirm the possibility of the ECU holding an injector open.

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe a member, near Plymouth, IN has the YDS software to diagnose the issue. This would confirm the possibility of the ECU holding an injector open.
That would be awsome !

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hate to say it, but with the age of your boat, the ECU is where I would be looking first, injectors 2nd. Your oil wasn't over filled, what has happened is unburned gas is making its way into your crank case filling it up. This gas de-lubricates your pistons too (like cleaning with gas will do) making it easier for the gas to get past the cylinder rings - but also increasing friction in the pistons. I wouldn't be driving this boat until you solve this problem - it increases the risk of major failure (I suppose you could keep changing the oil but that would get tiresome/expensive).

#YDS can be found on EBAY pretty easily, and there are posts here to help tell you how to use it! @bronze_10 is an expert now!

https://jetboaters.net/search/79923/?q=YDS&o=relevance