• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Good 'ol Mud Daubers | Coolant hoses

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey folks, I know this has been covered before but here is another example of what Mud Daubers can do if they get in your coolant "pissers" on the side of the boat. Long Read, Apologies.

Unfortunately I have not been able to go boating recently due to having a very busy end of year. Last time I took the boat out was in Sept. but, i wanted to take it out prior to end of year. I brought the boat home on the 29th and gave it a good once over prior to taking it out. We went out on the 31st and cruised around a bit then decided to go up the Hillsborough River. As soon as I hit the idle zones I noticed that my bilge came on. Not too surprised since I haven't really sealed the transom areas etc.. I looked over the side and there was a decent stream coming out. Eventually the light went off and that was that. A few minutes later it came on again and I looked out the side and there was a decent stream coming out again. That didn't seem normal to me since I have been in a idle zone for a while. I know I have the drain plug in so that wasnt it. I decided to take a closer look and noticed that only one pisser had water coming out of it. I popped the engine cover and found a nice fountain coming from the port engines oil cooler hose.

I shut that engine off and noticed the hose had split lengthwise, about 3 inches. I had to make a decision, since I was kinda far from the ramp. I could go on and make it to the ramp or tie up to a local one, Uber over to my vehicle and drive trailer over.

I measured how much water was coming in vs what the Bilge pump could pump out and I felt I could make it to my ramp. I turned around and started to head back, stopping every once in a while checking the water levels etc. Then it hit me, i wonder if I have enough hose length to cut it and fix the issue. So i stopped at BCI, measured the hose and had enough. I trimmed the split section and started it up. No more leak but no water was coming out of the pisser still. I could feel the pressure in the hose but no water. I idled for a bit to make sure it didnt happen again and that I wasnt going to overheat.

Made it back to the ramp with no issues. When I got home, I stuck a really long of edge trimmer lines and sure enough, there was a nice blockage by a friendly Mud Dauber who wanted a cozy place to nest. I cleaned it out and water started coming out pissed while on hose.

Interesting thing, engine never overheated. Granted, this is just the exit for the oil cooler and the other exits werent blocked but I figured if that was blocked the oil temp would rise and maybe trigger overheat alarm, but it didn't. I have to cover the pisser holes or use the boat more.

Pics/Video

Split-OilCooler-Hose.jpg

I know mud daubers, although not to that extent. I also use trimmer string. Put a couple of loose fitting golf tees in the holes, if you forget to remove, they should get pushed out by the pisser stream.

I know mud daubers, although not to that extent. I also use trimmer string. Put a couple of golf tees in the holes, if you forget to remove, they should get pushed out by the pisser stream.
Yeah, definitely will use golf Tees going forward.

Blocking the "pissers" won't impact your engine's ability to cool itself....they are just visual indicators that you have cooling water flow.

Various ideas have been floated on how to prevent the mud daubers from getting in there......golf tees is the most popular. Heard of ear plugs too.

Blocking the "pissers" won't impact your engine's ability to cool itself....they are just visual indicators that you have cooling water flow.

Various ideas have been floated on how to prevent the mud daubers from getting in there......golf tees is the most popular. Heard of ear plugs too.
Agree, also glad to see that my Bilge pump comes on automatically. I've tested it before but this is the first time it has done it in a real world situation.
Another thing I should have mentioned, have tools onboard. One of the first things I purchased was a tool set and I'm glad I did. Im going to expand the tool kit after this incident and will include some spare items.

Agree, also glad to see that my Bilge pump comes on automatically. I've tested it before but this is the first time it has done it in a real world situation.
Another thing I should have mentioned, have tools onboard. One of the first things I purchased was a tool set and I'm glad I did. Im going to expand the tool kit after this incident and will include some spare items.
We have a couple of threads on what tools people carry on board:

And one on what spare parts people carry:

Back