• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hard to start

Right on thanks! I imagine it doesn’t take too much time at, what?, 2100 rpm to remove a lot of the excess water in the locks. I think about when I blow the water locks out on the hard, and usually the first blip of the throttle makes for an audible splash on the ground, with the second or third resulting in a different exhaust note and higher idling rpm… granted that is on the hard.

If this is the fix for the hard start that so many have experienced then it is a huge deal. It would make sense how the motors act like they are flooded, but are just struggling to get started with a “banana up their tail pipe”.. extra credit if you know that quote LOL!
LOL I'm gen X, of course I know that quote!
*laughs in Eddie

LOL I'm gen X, of course I know that quote!
*laughs in Eddie
Look man… we ain’t fallin for no banana up our tail pipe!

Last edited:
Additional update: I continue to use this method after a lot of surfing this weekend - no hard starts over three days of boating.

Additional update: I continue to use this method after a lot of surfing this weekend - no hard starts over three days of boating.
Thanks for the update!

What say you @MrBubbaGump ?

Hey sorry for the late reply, My wife picked up the boat last week. Unfortunately, the report they gave on pickup did not have a lot of details on what they did and I am currently away for work. All I got is what I previously posted and they told her they water-tested it and it's good to go. I will give them a call and get more details and hopefully will be back and able to take it out in a few weeks. With that said they did not "fix" the issue that causes water to back up Yamaha is still currently "aware" and "working on a fix. With that said, I will also be trying the @anmut method as this seems safer than gunning it in reverse.

Hey sorry for the late reply, My wife picked up the boat last week. Unfortunately, the report they gave on pickup did not have a lot of details on what they did and I am currently away for work. All I got is what I previously posted and they told her they water-tested it and it's good to go. I will give them a call and get more details and hopefully will be back and able to take it out in a few weeks. With that said they did not "fix" the issue that causes water to back up Yamaha is still currently "aware" and "working on a fix. With that said, I will also be trying the @anmut method as this seems safer than gunning it in reverse.

I use my motors to help extend the trolling motor battery life over long days of trolling, while I have not experienced what I would call a hard start the motors do start lazily and the idle rpm is low for a while. I’ve been using @anmut ’s no wake mode in neutral method for 15 seconds and return to idle before shutting the engines off and I’ve experienced the same results he has, the engines spring to life like the first start of the day-at least this time of year.

No good answer from the dealer on what they did yet... Manager was supposed to call me on Friday and never did. However, I did take the boat out yesterday... I used the nowake method that @anmut suggested and filled my live well to keep the boat balanced at the sand bar; one of the two methods seemed to help. The starboard engine still failed to start on the first attempt but came to life without much struggle on the second attempt. The RPM's are still low and speeds still in the low - mid 30s. It was cooler and calm when I first took the boat out and hit 37 which is close to a record but on the way back I was maxed out between 32-34 with 6 people on board.

Rpm’s are still low? What are the rpm’s ? Hat was the elevation and the temperature?

32-34 with 6 people doesn’t sound that far off. How much weight does people would you say you had on board. Was that speed measurement with the water wheel or gps?

Seems like the no wake method worked ! When you say the first attempt failed on the starboard engine, how long did you engage the starter motor ?

About 7100 port 6800 starboard sea level 85-89 degrees. About 1300-1500lbs people and gear. Both gps and wheel are pretty close to the same speed. But the weight doesn’t make much difference in this case though. last year I went to the jet boat meetup in Panama City with my wife and 2 kids so about half that weight and did the same speed and RPMs got passed by other 210s fully loaded one even had a Bimini and blast past me. It’s been an ongoing issue since I got this boat.

I engaged it for about 5ish seconds it started and died. Second start hesitated but started then was good to go. Oddly enough I forgot to mention for some reason when I started it on the trailer to flush the engines had the same issue which is a first but I just brushed it off for now maybe a fluke.

Have the pumps been pulled and the impellers check to make sure the impellers are correct?

The previous dealer was asked to but I don't think they did.

My Starboard motor has always been about 300 RPM's less then the port engineon my 2021 FSH 210, I think its just the way they have the impellers from the factory. Throttle cables are set correcty.

My Starboard motor has always been about 300 RPM's less then the port engineon my 2021 FSH 210, I think its just the way they have the impellers from the factory. Throttle cables are set correcty.
It has to do with the fact that both motors turn the same way, that’s why it turns more easily to the left if memory serves and how the pumps get loaded.

The previous dealer was asked to but I don't think they did.
I just have to wonder if the wrong, as in higher pitch impellers, were installed in your boat.

Yes.

It has to do with the fact that both motors turn the same way, that’s why it turns more easily to the left if memory serves and how the pumps get loaded.
True, but port and starboard impellers are pitched slightly different to offset that.

True, but port and starboard impellers are pitched slightly different to offset that.
On the older models but the newer models except maybe for the most recent wake boats have the same impeller on each side.

Back