• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hard to start

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have always used it as well Did you look at the air cleaner element those plugs look awfully dark I would check the ground to the engine to be sure it is clean as well excess oil will ruin it fast.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have always used it as well Did you look at the air cleaner element those plugs look awfully dark I would check the ground to the engine to be sure it is clean as well excess oil will ruin it fast.
Yes, Checked that as well was still white clean nothing wrong with them. I will check the engine ground on it. Oil level was good on both engines.

On the air filter note, anyone have any thoughts or experience with these filters? https://rivaracing.com/riva-yamaha-exexrvx-tr-1-engine-replacement-performance-air-filter-ry13100-oe.html Just curious if maybe it might help run cooler with better flow?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just put a pair of those in my 2020 210 FSH sport.. jury is still out. On my next outing I’m going to do a back to back performance test and check the revs… the OEM filters have a much greater filter area than the Riva’s. I should have checked them last time out but forgot.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just put a pair of those in my 2020 210 FSH sport.. jury is still out. On my next outing I’m going to do a back to back performance test and check the revs… the OEM filters have a much greater filter area than the Riva’s. I should have checked them last time out but forgot.
Awesome I look forward to the results.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Awesome I look forward to the results.
Okay just did two back to back WOT runs across one of my local lakes at roughly 4600’ elevation 69° water and 65° air temp, 5-10 mph breeze, full fuel, one person on board, I went up wind and down. Engines were fully warmed up.

RIVA air filters 34.6 mph 7600-7650 port, 7750 starboard. 13.9 gph.

OEM air filters were approximately 150-200 rpm less, lost about .6 mph avg. speed was 34-34.3. With the RIVAS it was a solid 34.6 so they do work a little. And that was consistent with my runs last summer where I pulled the OEM filters out and ran without any during a test. I forgot to check gph with the OEM filters but it would have been slightly less.

Conclusion: The filters are a bit pricey for that little bit of tested gain in these conditions. But I’d buy them again. I may do some more testing at this lake under best cruise conditions but it’s not that big and there several boats out here fishing so don’t want to bug them.

Order a set!

P.S. averaging roughly 2.85 mpg at this lake. I get 3 mpg at 3200’.

Last edited:

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Okay just did two back to back WOT runs across one of my local lakes at roughly 4600’ elevation 69° water and 65° air temp, 5-10 mph breeze, full fuel, one person on board, I went up wind and down. Engines were fully warmed up.

RIVA air filters 34.6 mph 7600-7650 port, 7750 starboard. 13.9 gph.

OEM air filters were approximately 150-200 rpm less, lost about .6 mph avg. speed was 34-34.3. With the RIVAS it was a solid 34.6 so they do work a little. And that was consistent with my runs last summer where I pulled the OEM filters out and ran without any during a test. I forgot to check gph with the OEM filters but it would have been slightly less.

Conclusion: The filters are a bit pricey for that little bit of tested gain in these conditions. But I’d buy them again. I may do some more testing at this lake under best cruise conditions but it’s not that big and there several boats out here fishing so don’t want to bug them.

Order a set!

P.S. averaging roughly 2.85 mpg at this lake. I get 3 mpg at 3200’.
Awesome thanks for the update! WOW I barley see 7000 RPM where I am at and currently my max speed is around 31.x mph - 32 even. So even if I get a little extra juice that would be nice. Hopefully they would help me keep the engines a bit cooler as well with that extra air flow and help with my issue starting as well.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Big shout out to @FSH 210 Sport who went out of the way to have a side bar with a whole wealth of information. So far I replaced all spark plugs, just pulled them again to put antisize on them and reinstalled. I also adjusted my throttle cables on both sides as they were short of the stoppers at full throttle (hoping that is why my RPM's are so low). Will report back tomorrow, hopefully my hard start issue will be gone and maybe just maybe I'll have gained a few extra RPM.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So thank you everyone for the suggestions I have to guess running the blower on the way in helped slightly. Still had trouble starting the starboard engine. It started on the 3rd attempt which is way better than previous experiences I have had. Again no issues starting when I put the boat in and no issues after I make a quick run to Publix on the water. Also no issue when I go to flush after I get home. The only time it is hard to start is after sitting at the sand bar. This time I sat out there about 6.5 hours. It sounds like I might just have to deal with it till later this summer when I take it in for service / other small warranty issues.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just wanted to give everyone a little update on what I have been experiencing and where I am going from here. So as far as this hard start goes I have been able to rule out anything to do with heat. I just got back from the gulf coast jet boaters meet up and learned a few things. First the hard start happens any time the boat has sat in the water for more than a couple hours with out running. I was wet slipping and every morning had a problem starting. If I turn if off after its been running it will fire right back up. Did not have a problem until trying to leave from a sand bar or the next day on the first start. Again it only happens on the starboard engine. I also learned I have the slowest 210 FSH I averaged a top speed of 32 MPH and 6900 RPM with 3 adults and two kids. I has passed right buy with a full load of people on another 210 FSH with a Bimini deployed in the front! I made an appointment with a local dealer with my issues yesterday. We'll Saturday night we had 2 surprise visitors at our gathering. The VP of Yamaha and the GM of Yamaha Marine service. I was lucky enough to catch both their ears about the endless problems I have had with my boat. They told me they will be reaching out to both me and my dealer this week to get my boat up to par. We shall see if this is the case but either way I now have two great contacts to get this sorted out.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After almost 2 months without the boat I finally got it back... The horror continues! So the dealer supposedly fixed the issue of my top speed and RPM said they got 7400 and 43 mph now. However they don't know what they did to fix it... :rolleyes: So I will be taking it out tomorrow and we'll verify. As for the starting issue, they could not duplicate it (Since they won't leave it sitting it the water for a few hours) so they said they think the problem is fixed... Which I highly doubt. So yesterday when I go to pick up the boat my wheel on my tongue jack is broken in half, I point it out and they immediately replaced it... Not with a new one however. I then look inside my boat that they said they were going to wash and to my surprise it looks as though they left it outside for two months without the cover on and there are greasy hand prints and foot prints all on the inside of the boat and on the marine mat. I refused to take it back and had them clean it. I picked it up today and the hand prints were still in the mat on the gunnels, they got their cleaning guy and had him clean it again while I wait. Get it home and pull in the drive way and the driver side rear wheel is smoking... Find the caliper frozen (I wont blame this on the dealer more shoreland'r... The trailer is a year and a half old!) Finally I go to pull the cover out and it is soaking wet slimy and and smells like mildew from sitting under the helm for 2 months.

EDIT: Also my house and 3rd battery were dead. They are on the charger now.

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
(I realize not everyone's style, but stories like this are why I try my very best to not have to take my boat to my dealer... Even if they do everything right, getting it there and back is a hassle and it will be outside and it will take forever... and it is more likely as in this case that they will not do everything right.)

Good luck on the proper cleaning, battery revival and demildewifying.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After almost 2 months without the boat I finally got it back... The horror continues! So the dealer supposedly fixed the issue of my top speed and RPM said they got 7400 and 43 mph now. However they don't know what they did to fix it... :rolleyes: So I will be taking it out tomorrow and we'll verify. As for the starting issue, they could not duplicate it (Since they won't leave it sitting it the water for a few hours) so they said they think the problem is fixed... Which I highly doubt. So yesterday when I go to pick up the boat my wheel on my tongue jack is broken in half, I point it out and they immediately replaced it... Not with a new one however. I then look inside my boat that they said they were going to wash and to my surprise it looks as though they left it outside for two months without the cover on and there are greasy hand prints and foot prints all on the inside of the boat and on the marine mat. I refused to take it back and had them clean it. I picked it up today and the hand prints were still in the mat on the gunnels, they got their cleaning guy and had him clean it again while I wait. Get it home and pull in the drive way and the driver side rear wheel is smoking... Find the caliper frozen (I wont blame this on the dealer more shoreland'r... The trailer is a year and a half old!) Finally I go to pull the cover out and it is soaking wet slimy and and smells like mildew from sitting under the helm for 2 months.

EDIT: Also my house and 3rd battery were dead. They are on the charger now.
Bummer! Sorry to hear about that experience….

How did Saturday go?

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Bummer! Sorry to hear about that experience….

How did Saturday go?
Unfortunately not well. Put it in the water and the connext screen was dead, RPM gauges bouncing back and forth. I had this issue in the past and and they supposedly repinned it to fix it, that was close to 10 months ago. Reset batteries turned the boat off and back on... Still went out hung out at the sand bar and tried to have a good time. With that said no idea what RPMs I was getting however I hit 36 MPH for about 15 minutes, then back to 32 and never once over again. Leaving the sand bar the one engine still did not fire up right away however the third attempt it started. I have a feeling nothing was actually fixed :/ We'll see what next weekend brings. Oddly enough when I got home and fire the boat up to flush, the connext display was back up and working. So no idea what's going on there.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Unfortunately not well. Put it in the water and the connext screen was dead, RPM gauges bouncing back and forth. I had this issue in the past and and they supposedly repinned it to fix it, that was close to 10 months ago. Reset batteries turned the boat off and back on... Still went out hung out at the sand bar and tried to have a good time. With that said no idea what RPMs I was getting however I hit 36 MPH for about 15 minutes, then back to 32 and never once over again. Leaving the sand bar the one engine still did not fire up right away however the third attempt it started. I have a feeling nothing was actually fixed :/ We'll see what next weekend brings. Oddly enough when I got home and fire the boat up to flush, the connext display was back up and working. So no idea what's going on there.
Man that’s no good.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Talk about frustrating! I hate intermittent problems. Almost rather have a rod sticking out the side of the engine... at least then I know what is wrong.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since I changed my oil recently, this comes to mind - what's your oil level on the dipstick, engine warmed, in the water?

I wouldn't think a high oil level would cause starting issues, but it most definitely affects speed if overfilled.

Also, your dealer sounds like they need to be dealt with. No idea how your boat mysteriously "fixed" itself, and they left it looking like crap after working on it? I'd raise holy hell with the dealer manager, or higher, if you can track down who to talk to, since they either don't know about the crap employee they had working on your boat, or they DO know, and tolerate this, for some reason.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Since I changed my oil recently, this comes to mind - what's your oil level on the dipstick, engine warmed, in the water?

I wouldn't think a high oil level would cause starting issues, but it most definitely affects speed if overfilled.

Also, your dealer sounds like they need to be dealt with. No idea how your boat mysteriously "fixed" itself, and they left it looking like crap after working on it? I'd raise holy hell with the dealer manager, or higher, if you can track down who to talk to, since they either don't know about the crap employee they had working on your boat, or they DO know, and tolerate this, for some reason.
On the oil level, make sure you screw the dip stick in each time you check it. There was an oil change video posted around here a while back and the guy in the video was not screwing the dip stick in when he checked the oil level, which will result in a very too high oil level. These engines are dry sump engines with just a flat plate enclosing the bottom of the engine, IF there is an oil level on top of that plate it would create windage=crank off sets moving through oil, which would cause a rather large hp loss, and in theory the oil level on that plate could be higher after the engine has sat for a while. Check the bottom of your air filter box for any oil residue. I’m pretty sure we cov whether or not your air filters were oil fouled earlier in this thread.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just wanted to give everyone a little update on what I have been experiencing and where I am going from here. So as far as this hard start goes I have been able to rule out anything to do with heat. I just got back from the gulf coast jet boaters meet up and learned a few things. First the hard start happens any time the boat has sat in the water for more than a couple hours with out running. I was wet slipping and every morning had a problem starting. If I turn if off after its been running it will fire right back up. Did not have a problem until trying to leave from a sand bar or the next day on the first start. Again it only happens on the starboard engine. I also learned I have the slowest 210 FSH I averaged a top speed of 32 MPH and 6900 RPM with 3 adults and two kids. I has passed right buy with a full load of people on another 210 FSH with a Bimini deployed in the front! I made an appointment with a local dealer with my issues yesterday. We'll Saturday night we had 2 surprise visitors at our gathering. The VP of Yamaha and the GM of Yamaha Marine service. I was lucky enough to catch both their ears about the endless problems I have had with my boat. They told me they will be reaching out to both me and my dealer this week to get my boat up to par. We shall see if this is the case but either way I now have two great contacts to get this sorted out.
Perhaps you can talk to these big wig guys you met and let them know what’s going on. My suggestion would be to stay heavy in the performance issues and don’t go off on what a shit job of cleaning up after the mess of the crappy mechanic. The fact the mechanic left such a freaking mess says a lot about that mechanic and his abilities. Sloppy work site=sloppy work.

Getting all pissed off and railing on the shit mechanic will turn their (the big wigs) ears off, your goal is to get your boat running correctly, focus on that, now if they open the door for that discussion then let it fly, I guarantee you, your boat is not the only boat that has been returned to the customer that way. When I had my valve lash checked the boat and the engine bay was cleaner than when I took it in, and I thought it was damn clean when I took it in, and the mechanic took the time to tighten the strap holding the cooler!

Time to go to a different dealer and a different mechanic followed up with an on water test, with you present!

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input guys, I have already talked to a couple guys at Yamaha again and they suggested I take it back to the first dealer I was going to as they are now under new management and supposedly doing better. Oddly enough my starboard engine started the first time when I took it out yesterday. I am beyond frustrated that they told me they did all these checks and could not duplicate and now for the first time since probably April or May it has worked! Hopefully that part is fixed, but my display is working again and I was getting 7200 RPM on the Port engine and 7000 on starboard. So something they did made things better, I still wouldn't call it fixed as I am still topping out at 36mph (which is also faster than the 32 I was getting previously to dropping it off) and for being at sea level those RPMs are still on the very low side.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Try removing the ground cables at the engines and clean the contacts then reattach them, also unplug the electrical connectors for the sensors and coils and spray them with clear silicone spray and then re-plug them back together , see if that helps