• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Heat Soak or Other?

jetboater40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Hi!

We own a 2015 Yamaha AR192 (purchased used 3 years ago).

During that time, I never utilised the boat WOT due the presence of our kids.

I did however, recently chose to pilot our jet boat WOT without our kids and noted the maximum speed was 30mph at 7500rpms.

Prior to that, I was on the water for approximately 15 minutes before the WOT (the engine was therefore warm).

The air temperature was approximately 20 degrees Celsius and the water temperature, 17 degrees Celsius.

I read that the AR192's top speed is approximately 48mph.

The boat is not damaged and is properly maintained each boating season.

All equipment is stock.

Do you think the issue could be heat soak?

A drop of 18mph seems a lot for heat soak.

Thanks!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I doubt that it is heat soak at those temps. I don't think heat soak is typically an issue until water temps start approaching 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I would question the impeller condition more. Another huge factor will be the condition of the bottom of the boat. Any kind of lake gunk buildup will drastically effect the top end speed.

jetboater40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks!

I contoured the impeller with my hand while cleaning out the port from river weed.

I felt no imperfections or sharp edges.

The boat is docked for the summer at the marina and remains in the water.

River buildup is noticeable below the water line.

Can that buildup really decrease the maximum speed by 18mph?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks!

I contoured the impeller with my hand while cleaning out the port from river weed.

I felt no imperfections or sharp edges.

The boat is docked for the summer at the marina and remains in the water.

River buildup is noticeable below the water line.

Can that buildup really decrease the maximum speed by 18mph?
I always had mine on the trailer or a lift so I can't speak from any real world experience on that. But any mussels clinging to the hull combined with scum will create a lot of drag and every little thing matters when you are pushing the top end of a boat. Adding 5 hp might only get you an extra 1 mph.

I believe the rev limiter is supposed to limit the boat to about 7800 RPMs so it looks like you are few hundred short too. I'm not really sure what would cause that other than you are possibly not getting to the throttle stopper in the engine compartment when the handle is at full, or the pump is gunked up. I would think spinning at 7500 RPM would be enough for the pump to clean itself out though.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jetboater40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks to you both for your feedback!

At the end of the boating season, the bottom of our boat looks like the one in the picture from @Julian.

I have the hull cleaned with acid in autumn prior to storing it in the hangar.

I will see next year if a clean hull makes a difference in the maximum speed!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks to you both for your feedback!

At the end of the boating season, the bottom of our boat looks like the one in the picture from @Julian.

I have the hull cleaned with acid in autumn prior to storing it in the hangar.

I will see next year if a clean hull makes a difference in the maximum speed!
A furry/dirty hull massively impacts speed if it is algae fur like we have here in NC.