• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

@HELP my trailer is stuck!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
ok that's what I thought. Maybe I need a magnetic key for times when moving the trailer around, and backing in to storage.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MattFX4
just upgrade your connector, I worked around it for 3 years with the jumper pin trick and now that I've upgraded to a five pin and can reverse whenever I want it's SOOOOO much easier, just one of the little things that take another layer of stress away for $10.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
ok that's what I thought. Maybe I need a magnetic key for times when moving the trailer around, and backing in to storage.
If you can't back up the trailer then your wiring harness isn't the right one, or has a bad connection.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah I already have a 7 pin to 5 pin adapter that plugs in to the factory plug of my truck. Must be something wrong with that connection if it is supposed to deactivate the breaks when in reverse.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I already have a 7 pin to 5 pin adapter that plugs in to the factory plug of my truck. Must be something wrong with that connection if it is supposed to deactivate the breaks when in reverse.
You could test the truck wiring easily with a test lamp. Just check to see that the 5th wire has 12 volts when the truck is in reverse.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Or convert to electric brakes. Welded that thing up and done. But my trailer sat most it's life next to the ocean and was neglected before i got it. Now it gets used and abused.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you get the key to stay in the slot? I was trying to back my boat in to storage yesterday and brakes kept locking up on me. I pulled forward to slide the tongue so I could insert the key, but the key would not stay in the slot. The previous owner taped it in, but the tape finally broke loose this weekend. This seems like a piss poor design to me.
Have you been towing with the key (taped) in all the time? The breaks would be inactivated. I hate surge breaks, but those can be useful...

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or convert to electric brakes. Welded that thing up and done. But my trailer sat most it's life next to the ocean and was neglected before i got it. Now it gets used and abused.
That is what I plan to do if I have issues with surge breaks.

--

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some folks use a flexible refrigerator magnet to hold the lockout key in place....put the key in, put magnet over.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Have you been towing with the key (taped) in all the time? The breaks would be inactivated. I hate surge breaks, but those can be useful...

--
yes. The previous owner taped the key in and it has been that way since I bought it in March. My 2 year old son got his hands on it this weekend and pulled it loose. That's when I noticed I couldn't back the thing without sliding the tires across a gravel parking lot. I had no idea the breaks were deactivated as my truck has had no issues stopping the boat.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You could test the truck wiring easily with a test lamp. Just check to see that the 5th wire has 12 volts when the truck is in reverse.
I plan to test this. I have read reports that there is a jumper in the glove box that needs to be installed on the Ford's. I bought this truck new, and seem to remember seeing something in there. Will look at it later.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes. The previous owner taped the key in and it has been that way since I bought it in March. My 2 year old son got his hands on it this weekend and pulled it loose. That's when I noticed I couldn't back the thing without sliding the tires across a gravel parking lot. I had no idea the breaks were deactivated as my truck has had no issues stopping the boat.
I think your 2yo shows remarkable mechanical instincts!

--

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you get the key to stay in the slot? I was trying to back my boat in to storage yesterday and brakes kept locking up on me. I pulled forward to slide the tongue so I could insert the key, but the key would not stay in the slot. The previous owner taped it in, but the tape finally broke loose this weekend. This seems like a piss poor design to me.
I have a bungee wrapped around the tongue. When I need to use the key I insert and then stretch the bungee over the key.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think your 2yo shows remarkable mechanical instincts!

--
lol, well I don't know what it is but every time the boat is at our house he runs straight for the tongue area of the trailer and starts messing with the safety chains, jack handle, or wiring of the trailer. He finally discovered that key that was taped in place and pulled it out.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MattFX4 did you ever figure out the reverse braking on the trailer?
I have the same problem with my ford?

Thanks

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MattFX4 did you ever figure out the reverse braking on the trailer?
I have the same problem with my ford?

Thanks
The trailer brake electronically disengages when voltage is sent to the backup light. If that wire or the ground has an issue the brake will not disengage.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you know if this is the right adapter?

Attachments

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Connect your plug backwards, and turn on your headlights, This will give the brake disengagement solenoid 12V and it will unlock your reverse.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Doesn't appear I can connect backwards

@Bruce I been looking online at 5 to 7 pin adapters and they all look like the one I have
I know I should have good wiring because my 33 ft travel trailer brakes work

Attachments