• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HELP NEEDED POST (From YJB) UPDATE

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For anyone who was following my Sea-Doo civil suit thread at YJB

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60742

Here is the update:

Ok, this is a LONG one. . . . But this is the statement of claim that I made during part 1 of the trial. There are additional details that I found out that I will list after this post that I learned of between the first hearing date, and the final one.

I, MY NAME of MY ADDRESS, do solemnly swear that the following statements and timeline of events are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge.

This began on 7/25/2013, after I called the service department at MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS of MIDDLETOWN, N.Y. and spoke with Buck, the service manager, to confirm their ability to perform a starting system diagnosis and repair. I gave Buck the year make and model of my boat and advised that I was having starter trouble. They confirmed for me that they were well equipped to handle my challenges and I scheduled an appointment to drop the boat off the next day. Since the boat was going in for a repair, I left the secondary engine cover, and starter solenoid cover at my house, as both would be in the way of a repair.

On July 26th, 2013, I brought my boat, a 2000 Sea-Doo Sportster LE, into MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS Corp, at 21 Dunning Rd, Middletown, N.Y. I was written up by Buck the service manager, who took my boat in and scheduled it for service.

Within approximately one week of the date that I dropped off my boat I was contacted by Buck who advised me that not only was the starter in need of repair, but additional service was required. Buck indicated that to perform this additional work they would need to remove the engine from my boat, and that the cost would increase to double that of the original estimate.

Based on the diagnosis Buck provided, I authorized MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS to pull the engine and proceed with the recommended repairs, which included a new starter, drive gear, bushing, spring, & crankcase repair as indicated on the original receipt (Exhibit A).

After receiving a call from Buck who advised me that my boat was repaired, I arrived back at MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS on 8/23/2013 to pick up my boat. I went to the service department, and paid for the repairs they claimed to have performed and received a receipt (Exhibit A). Once I paid, I was brought back to my boat so that I could hook it up and drive off. The mechanic who serviced the boat started it for me so I could hear the new starter. It ran only for a few seconds, as they had not hooked up any water lines to it (as required when running a boat on land) and did not want it to overheat. It was at this point that I hooked the boat up to my car and left MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS with boat in tow.

At approximately 3PM I arrived at my destination, and shortly after began to prep the boat for the following day. This included putting the solenoid cover and secondary engine covers back in place. However, when I opened the primary engine compartment hatch I began noticing several irregularities with the components therein.

When I looked down the first thing I noticed was the solenoid box was broken loose and laying on the driveshaft. It was at this point that I called MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS and was directed to the mechanic (Marcus Molnar) who I was told worked on the boat. Marcus Molnar made the outrageous statement, "That is how I found it." While I want to be clear here that this was not how I brought it in, I also have to make the point that if that is indeed how they found it why would they not bring it to my attention? It was clearly sitting on where the driveshaft goes through the hull (see picture Exhibit B), and they admittedly saw it. So, if they were not trying to hide the fact that they broke it why not tell me? The fact that no one offered to fix what was "brought in broken" when found sitting on a moving component only shows ignorance, incompetence, or a lack of integrity.

After finding the box laying on the driveshaft I started to look a lot more closely at some of the other parts of the engine compartment. After finding several items out of place, including:

1. Vacuum hose not terminated properly (Exhibit C)
2. Exhaust baffling not correctly installed (Exhibit D)
3. Resonator left unsecured (strap found in bilge) (Exhibit E)
4. Various cables not tied off to appropriate tie point if tied off at all (Exhibit F)
5. Bilge siphon not installed properly (exhibit L & M)

I felt I needed to go outside of the service department and advise someone with authority what happened. So I called back to MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS and spoke to the General Manager, Ray Malley. I advised Ray of the issues I encountered, and told him that I was only letting him know because had my employees botched the job to that extent I would want to know about it. At that time it was nothing more than courtesy call to advise him so he could coach his staff. I told him I would remedy the items I had found up to that point, as they were closing and an almost an hour away.

After I removed the engine compartment cover entirely to have unfettered access to correct these issues I was able to remedy most of the items above, with the exception of the permanent mounting of the solenoid box. So, I temporarily secured the solenoid out of the way of the driveshaft. I then hooked up the water supply needed to cool the engine while starting the boat on land, in order to turn the boat over and ensure everything was good to go. I started the boat, let it idle to warm up and then put the boat into gear. I brought up the rpm's slightly while in gear and the engine started to shutter violently. I turned the engine off and inspected the compartment . . . . . it was at that point that I found that in addition to the exhaust baffling not being installed correctly, the exhaust itself was not secured and the strap was missing (still not found). Then upon further inspection I realized that the bolt in the starboard aft motor mount was not torqued down.

Upon closer inspection I found that not only was the longer forward bolt in the aft mount, which was bottomed out leaving the engine loose (see Video). But the shorter aft bolt was in the forward mount and barely catching the threads there. So in essence there was a hot 951CC motor mounted right next to a full 17+ Gallon gas tank being held by a single bolt.

This could have easily led to my engine turning over inside that engine compartment at full speed, breaching the gas tank and causing an explosion had I not found and corrected this.

Once I found the problem with the bolts, a clear mistake that should have been seen and corrected by the "mechanic" that had been working on this, it took me an additional hour to correct. There are pictures of the 2 different bolts used in the mounts as they sit on the transom (exhibit G), as well as a video I took of just how obvious the error should have been (link to Video below).

I wrapped up the repairs/corrections I could by around 10:30pm after 7 hours of my time on a boat I paid to have repaired.

I woke up in the morning, checked the temporarily secured solenoid box and remounted the engine compartment cover. We headed off to the public boat ramp at Swinging Bridge Lake, launched the boat and started it. I idled south for a short while, while we were getting the kids settled. I brought the RPM's of the boat up to get on plane, which I did and then she bogged down and stalled out. I attempted to get her restarted because at this point between idling and coming up on plane we were a good distance away from the launch ramp. I cycled the starter for 3-5 seconds in an attempt to get her rolling and heard a sound that was terribly out of place. It sounded like the gears were grinding heavily.

I was left stranded in the middle of Swinging Bridge lake with my wife, 2 kids under 4, and a boat I just dropped $1100 (along with almost 7 of the last 18 hours) into that does not work. Quite literally up the creek without a paddle. . . .

For the next 2 hours I paddled over to the shoreline using a boat hook. Then I spent the next hour walking the boat back along a rocky shore to get it over to the launch ramp.

After getting back to the shoreline and getting the boat back onto the trailer, I called back to MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS and spoke to Ray Malley to advise what had happened. Ray asked that I bring the boat back in so they could diagnose the problem. Ray also asked that I write up a detailed account of what transpired so that he may discuss with Jim Bannon (MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS owner). I dropped off the boat to MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS on 8/25/2013 and spoke with Ray about everything, showed him the boat, and pictures, and discussed the path forward. I wrote him a detailed email dated 8/26/2013 upon my return home. The email I wrote him would lead to an on-going email chain that occurred between 8-26-2013 and 8-29-2013 (Exhibit H).

During that email exchange I was told that the problems the boat was having were not the result of the work that was (or wasn’t) done, and that it could be attributed to either a bad Rotary Valve, or Flywheel Key being sheered. They claimed that it would be impossible to know/fix unless they pulled the motor again to check. They also explained that I was to pay for any of the repairs they deemed necessary to fix the issue. It was at this point that I decided to escalate even further based on the correspondence.

The correspondence shows that in Ray’s final email to me on 8/29/2013 at 12:23pm EST, he acknowledged the mechanic (Marcus Molnar), “Had someone helping him and that person did not perform up to par as expected”. Additionally, in Ray’s email to me dated 8/29/2013 at 11:36am EST he wrote “I do stand corrected, you did fix the motor mount bolts and we did not install them correctly as you pointed out” and “We did not correctly do some of the things you mentioned to me in person”

As a result of my desire to escalate, I was referred to speak to Jim Bannon (MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS Owner) regarding what the path forward should be. Based on what had transpired up until that point and what I was told needed fixing moving forward, we came to a gentleman’s agreement. Jim would take responsibility for the shoddy workmanship and refund me half of the bill totaling $550.00 on 8/30/13 via check #3353(Exhibit I), and we would part company amiably. However, I had only agreed to these conditions based on the information available at that time, including the diagnosis by his mechanic’s and assurance of his service manager, that the repair work that would be needed to fix my boat had nothing to do with their action (or inaction). Since I was assured the original work requested (starter repair) was in fact completed, and that the timing could be the only problem, I set out to a Sea-Doo dealer to have the work conducted.

I brought the boat to Rusty Palmers since they are the closest factory certified Sea-Doo mechanics.

I had spoken to Jason Hazen, the service manager at Rusty's, and advised of the situation. His recommendation was to remove the motor to do a thorough inspection as this was the only way to access the full extent of the repairs needed to make the boat function properly. I authorized the engine removal and inspection, and was advised of a far more troubling picture than that which was painted by the mechanics at MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS. The cost for this diagnosis, which makes up one part of this overall claim amount was $358.49 as seen on the bill from Rusty Palmers (Exihibit J)

While removing the Engine they found that the oil pump cable had not been hooked up to the oil pump which, since this is an oil injected 2 Cycle engine, lead to the engine not getting oil during any operation since the engine was re-installed.

As a result of not getting any oil, the internal components of the engine were damaged beyond repair. Additionally, the end of the crankshaft, & flywheel were either damaged from the woodruff key, or a loose flywheel that was not re-installed properly. This also lead to damage to the starter and starter drive gears, that I had been told were repaired and functioning prior to reaching the agreement with Jim Bannon at MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS. The cost to repair this damage and get the boat running again is $4079.75 as seen on the estimate from Rusty Palmers along with the notes referencing the findings (Exhibit K).

Since I have paid $1095.56 in good faith to MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS for these so called repairs, and to date have only received a refund of $550.00, I am asking the court to rule in my favor for the remainder of what I spent with them ($1095.56 spent – $550.00 refund) $545.56, plus the cost of diagnosis $358.49, and repair $4079.75, in the total amount of $4983.80.

Pictures and a description of each of the issues can be found here:

https://plus.google.com/113475345822469879919/posts/Noidafa5htM

Video of the engine mounting issues can be found here (Select the HD version for a better quality vid that illustrates my concerns):

https://plus.google.com/113475345822469879919/posts/WxkEz37YdYf

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
WOW!!!! What a mess. Good luck to you I hope everything turns out good in the end.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is the case that was settled in your favor correct? It is amazing how bad the first place did. Since it had been about a month it looks like they were trying to get the boat out of there fast. Bad mistake. Unfortuantly many people would not have know any better and just had the orginal place fix everything even after they messed it up. I know the money is key but the time and frustration (and lack of water time) you invested wasn't even considered.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@0627Devildog . You have some kind of luck huh? F'n nightmares..

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You have the worst luck...

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, after I presented the above statement and evidence in court, the judge adjourned the case for 4 weeks so we could get the new mechanic in as a witness to provide testimony in addition to the above referenced quotes.

Prior to the second hearing commencing, I went out to the NEW MECHANIC to serve a subpoena and discuss his findings in detail, and review his testimony. The NEW MECHANIC determined that the lower end damage to the motor was directly attributed to the negligence of MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS. He pointed out several items (pictures and descriptions below) that he testified to which ultimately helped me win the case.
20140220_111416.jpg
ABOVE - Picture of the tapered Crankshaft and the sheered flywheel (woodruff) key.

20140220_111443.jpg
ABOVE - Picture of the inside of the tapered flywheel where the woodruff key sheered

20140220_111528.jpg
ABOVE: Picture of the welded housing where the starter motor sits, along with the helicoil on the right which I was never told about. The NEW MECHANIC said that it is highly likely that they tried to get the starter motor out and broke the housing that then required welding, which they charged me for.

20140220_111537.jpg
ABOVE - Another view of the starter area

20140220_111544.jpg
ABOVE - Picture of the helicoil repair they never told me about

20140220_111610.jpg
ABOVE - Picture of the starter in laid in place.

It was determined by the NEW MECHANIC that they did several things that basically destroyed the bottom end of the motor.

1. Did not seat the flywheel correctly, nor torqued down the bolt required for holding it properly. As a result, since this was tapered it had enough room to slide apart and break free causing the damage outlined above in picture's 1 and 2.

2. Removed the starter improperly causing the crack that required welding, which combined with the helicoil placement, left the starter in an improper position causing drive gear damage.

3. Never re-attached the oil line cable which MAY have contributed to cylinder wall scoring

Now here is the kicker. . . . the NEW MECHANIC and the owners at MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS actually know each other and are business acquaintances. Knowing this you would think that I am f'd right? Then you'd be wrong. . . Because the NEW MECHANIC is on of those RARE stand up kinda guys who knows the meaning of the word honor and integrity.

He called over to Jim at MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS, let him know what he found and told him "I really don't want to go to court against you, because if I do and have to tell them what I found I don't think it is going to work out for you" With 2 weeks left until part 2 of the trial, the Owner, Mechanic, and Service manager from MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS all went to his shop, assessed the damage and told the NEW MECHANIC he would call me with an offer to settle. Keeping in mind I was suing him for $4900+ and the damage just to repair the lower end was estimated at $4K, he called me the day before the next court date. Remember he saw the engine and reviewed the findings with the NEW MECHANIC 2 weeks prior. He offered me $500 which he called "fair", to which I replied "Are you joking". When he said no, I told him I would be seeing him in court in the morning and to have a nice night.

FFWD to part 2 of the trial. . .

My witness testified to items 1-3 above. He also testified to the current market value of the boat, supporting my NADA Guide submission, and comparable sales in the area that I submitted.

But THIS is where I had MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS dead to rights. . . . . The SHOP MANUAL which is the whole reason I began the other thread on YJB under the "HELP NEEDED" title.

MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS, being a business acquaintance of the NEW MECHANIC/WITNESS reached out to him prior to the first trial date to ask him for a copy of the repair manual.

You see MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS is NOT a certified SEA-DOO Repair shop, nor is the "MECHANIC" who worked on my boat a certified Sea-Doo Mechanic. So I brought all of this up in court asking the following line of questioning

To my WITNESS (NEW MECHANIC)

ME: At any point in time did the defendant reach out to you for a copy of there service manual pertaining to my boat?
HIM: YES
ME: Was that before or AFTER I brought my boat to you in it's current condition?
HIM: AFTER
ME: Did he say what he wanted it for?
HIM: To prepare for this case
ME: So would it stand to reason that if he was calling you for the manual AFTER the work he supposedly performed on my boat, that he did NOT have a copy at the time of repair?
HIM: YES

I was then able to question Jim the owner of MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS shortly after

ME: Are you a certified SEA-DOO Repair facility
HIM: We are certified by NYS
ME: I understand that. . . .However do you hold certification from SEA-DOO to conduct repair work on their behalf?
HIM: No
ME: Is your mechanic now, or was he ever certified by SEA-DOO
HIM: (After some dancing on the issue he conceded) NO he is not certified by SEA-DOO
ME: Is it true that you didn't have the repair manual for my boat at the time of repair?
HIM: Yes
ME: So your shop, who is not certified by Sea-Doo, that employs a mechanic who is also not certified by Sea-Doo, attempted a repair on my Sea-Doo boat without having the repair manual for which there are explicit step by step instructions which need to be followed in order to ensure proper reassembly
HIM: Silence
ME: Would you like me to re-state the question?
HIM: Well, um, my mechanic is certified by NYS for all manner of repairs. Then he submitted a copy of the mechanic's certification.

Well, apparently the JUDGE didn't buy it. . . . because although he reserved judgement (for almost a month), he ruled in my favor.

In the Judgement letter he wrote:

"I credit the testimony of the Plaintiff's witness from Rusty Palmers repair shop and find that the work performed by the defendant was defective causing damage to the plaintiff"

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to hear they ruled in your favor, have you seen any money yet or is this one of those cases were it's even more difficult to collect the settlement?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not yet seen any money. . . Just received the ruling in the mail on Monday. He has 30 days to pay up, which I believe he will do. He has WAY too many assets for me to go after, and I will.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow, glad you won.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Uh.. don't mess with devil dog..

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Uh.. don't mess with devil dog..
I have been kind enough to keep his name redacted in all of these posts thus far. . . and will continue to do so, as it was never my aim to hurt his business. However, if he tries to F me on the judgment. . . . Not only will I legally go after his assets, but I will make it my personal mission to ensure anyone who has access to the internet looking for a review of his business will find this thread.

He definitely doesn't want to bring out the Devil in this Dog.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If I lived in your area I'd be messaging you to know his name. I don't think there is anything wrong with providing factual information about a terrible repair job that was not supported and furthermore, caused so much collateral damage that it ended up in court!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian - It's all about leverage, if the thought even crosses his mind to F w/me I will be sending him links to the redacted comments on multiple boards. . . . . Letting him know that I will fill in the blanks unless he pays the judgement amounts owed under the ruling. By now he should also understand that I am a man of honor and my word, so if he keeps up his end he will not be directly identified.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is unfortunate that you had to go through all that, but very glad you came out on top.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boy does that suck @0627Devildog I had a similar small claims court judgement against a repair facility here in California almost 20 years ago. Unfortunately I never saw a dime. The business would change their legal business name and owners (not the name on the building) more often than I (or the other people I met in line at the courthouse) could change our judgements and chase them down. It was the biggest financial lesson that I learned prior to my adulthood. I hope your situation turns out much better for you than mine.

Since that experience I've changed who & how I drop off a vehicle, how I pick up/inspect and how I pay. I feel for you. Hopefully your situation will be straightened out soon.

Edit to add: the internet is a powerful tool. I wish that I had it at my fingertips 20 years ago to help me. A business can be built or ruined by the internet. It's an effective tool to keep guys like that in line with their business practices.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are my parting shots of her. . . . .just sold her for scrap. . . . . ;*(20140412_114623.jpg20140412_114611.jpg

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The judgement was required to be settled by 5/4/2014 and has not been paid to date after several attempts to collect. As such, I have included the defendants information so as to ensure my fellow JB.net folks NEVER let these morons EVER get near ANYTHING they want to keep in good working order. The owner has ZERO integrity and the staff is borderline brain dead.

Let the enforcement officers collection efforts commence. . . .

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure if it was mentioned before but if you had insurance on this boat you might be able to collect from them. Let the insurance enter subrogation with the morons in Middletown NY.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unfortunately, when it was brought to them the policy was NOT in effect. Not to mention. . . . that even IF it was insured, I have come to far not to see to this personally.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You might want to post MAVRIX MOTORSPORTS address, phone number, email etc so people searching have the best chance of discovering that they are bad mechanics and not only don't stand behind their work, but evade court judgments against them too! I'd also file with the BBB and every review site you can find! Also, if you post reviews, I'm sure many here would be happy to follow the links to them and "Like" them to ensure they are at the top! Be sure to throw in links to this site....and your detailed write up! We love links to us!