• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Home automation

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I got one of my Insignia switches in last night. It was a tight fit but got it in. This one controls my front outside lights. Finally we wont forget to turn them on or off, it is programmed with sunrise/sunset. I am really happy with the ease of set up with the Insignia HomeKit stuff, if you catch them on sale, I don't think they can be beat for the price.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I got one of my Insignia switches in last night. It was a tight fit but got it in. This one controls my front outside lights. Finally we wont forget to turn them on or off, it is programmed with sunrise/sunset. I am really happy with the ease of set up with the Insignia HomeKit stuff, if you catch them on sale, I don't think they can be beat for the price.
Kind of mixed reviews on their site on these. Love more competition though!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Kind of mixed reviews on their site on these. Love more competition though!
I had issues with my non HomeKit plugs, and returned those for the HomeKit version. The insignia app sucks... no sugar coating that, but I go straight through the HomeKit app and no issues so far.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Picked a Schlange Smart Door Lock Kit on deal of the day from Home Depot. Ended up being the same exact door handle I have now, which was nice, so just swapped out the deadbolt. Works great so far... have it linked it HomeKit, but haven't figured out Alexa yet. I also picked up a Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener. Installed that last night and seems to be working well, still have to get another piece to add it to homekit, just waiting for that to go back on sale.

I really prefer the HomeKit stuff because I can set rules that are based on pretty much anything, but most importantly me and my fiances location. So if we both leave the house, the systems will automatically lock and close the garage door if we forget to. I guess it works like IFTT but probably a bit easier.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone use any of the Iris products from Lowes? They are discounted at my local store. Not sure why unless they are not doing well.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use a number of the Iris branded products with my non-Iris system. Most of their line voltage stuff is Z-Wave, and most of the rest is Zigbee. There are a couple oddball things I couldn't get to connect to my network (like their hose timer).

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have used many Iris products with Smartthings and they work great.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use a Logitech harmony remote with Alexa to control my entertainment - TV and Lights
You preset commands, "Hey Alexa; Turn on my big Screen" She will turn on all devices, Projector, Cable Box, Lights and lower the screen and dim my lights to my preset setting
Pretty inexpensive option
harmony remote - $200
Eco dot or plus $49-$149
Zwave light switch $34.99

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I use a Logitech harmony remote with Alexa to control my entertainment - TV and Lights
Me too! "Alexa turn on the tv", or "Alexa turn up the volume on the tv", or "Alexa change the channel to 1050", all very helpful when your teenager has buried the remote somewhere on the couch, or the remote is on the other side of the couch.

I'm slowly adding Lutron Caseta switches throughout my house. I can now say "Alexa, turn on all the outside lights", or "Alexa turn off freaking everything" (you can make any custom command you want!). Also just having remotes for groups of lights is nice, or fans (like a remote by the bed for our ceiling fan that never had a remote) - press one wall switch to turn on all the family room lights etc.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am using the Harmony Hub and remote as well. I am using it with an Echo and FireTV streaming PSVue. Works great. I just wish they would allow you to group Harmony Hubs into rooms like you can with other Echo devices. That way I could control my tvs in all rooms independent of each other since I have Echos in each room I have a TV in currently.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Me too! "Alexa turn on the tv", or "Alexa turn up the volume on the tv", or "Alexa change the channel to 1050", all very helpful when your teenager has buried the remote somewhere on the couch, or the remote is on the other side of the couch.

I'm slowly adding Lutron Caseta switches throughout my house. I can now say "Alexa, turn on all the outside lights", or "Alexa turn off freaking everything" (you can make any custom command you want!). Also just having remotes for groups of lights is nice, or fans (like a remote by the bed for our ceiling fan that never had a remote) - press one wall switch to turn on all the family room lights etc.
Thats on my wish list, controlling all lights in the house!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am using the Harmony Hub and remote as well. I am using it with an Echo and FireTV streaming PSVue. Works great. I just wish they would allow you to group Harmony Hubs into rooms like you can with other Echo devices. That way I could control my tvs in all rooms independent of each other since I have Echos in each room I have a TV in currently.
I only have one Harmony hub, but i'd think you could set custom commands for each harmony....not tried it though.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I only have one Harmony hub, but i'd think you could set custom commands for each harmony....not tried it though.
I think you have to then individually name each device, i.e., turn on the living room TV, bedroom TV, etc. With Alexa, I understand you can pair certain devices to certain echos, so if you're in the living room and ask it to turn on the lights, it knows which lights it should interact with. I need to do a little more research into it, as I'd like to put hubs on additional TVs. Would be nice to have a goodnight command with some more complex things like turning off/locking everything, and then turning off the bedroom TV 30 minutes later (my sleep command is a PITA to set), as I like to fall asleep w/TV on.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have set groups like "Downstairs lights", I've also set schedules on some lights like my daughters bedroom - they turn off every day at 9am. This sometimes pisses her off on the weekend if she's up at 9am....but it pisses me off less seeing her lights off during the day! LOL

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My new Sony TV works directly with Alexa, I just tell Alexa turn on Livingroom TV, or change volume or station. Works perfect every time.
What's kind of funny, is the TV runs android TV (made by google) as it's operating system. But my google home can't yet turn on the TV or change the volume or channel. It can only open and search youtube

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think you have to then individually name each device, i.e., turn on the living room TV, bedroom TV, etc. With Alexa, I understand you can pair certain devices to certain echos, so if you're in the living room and ask it to turn on the lights, it knows which lights it should interact with. I need to do a little more research into it, as I'd like to put hubs on additional TVs. Would be nice to have a goodnight command with some more complex things like turning off/locking everything, and then turning off the bedroom TV 30 minutes later (my sleep command is a PITA to set), as I like to fall asleep w/TV on.
From my research it is on the Harmony side where they need to mature their Echo Skills to work in the manner you describe. That is exactly what I would like to do with multiple hubs and echos.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Harmony Hub is great for cable, but useless for us that have cut the cord. I can't say play Jessica jones on Netflix.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@adrianp89 I can do that with my echo and a FireTV or FireStick since it is all the same ecosystem. That would be an Echo specific skill more than a Harmony Hub activity.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
How do I link my Alexa (I use SonosOne instead of echo) to my fire stick? Last I looked (was a while ago) it wasn't compatible. Guess still doesn't help in regards to my AppleTV.