• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Home automation

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It did work.. upon initial testing it doesn't work quite as good as I hoped. In this example it took me to episode one season one listing of Jessica Jones, when I am currently looking for season two episode 5. It also didn't seem to play it but just locate it for me. Any ideas?

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Harmony Hub is great for cable, but useless for us that have cut the cord. I can't say play Jessica jones on Netflix.
I think but not a 100% sure but I think if you don't have a direct Alexa compatible TV, you would need a harmony hub or another compatible hub that throws an IR signal to turn on TV first, then tell firestick to play Jessica Jones - 2 step process
You would have to have the firestick with alexa voice commands

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@adrianp89 After looking into it it looks like it will only auto play for movies...:(

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This is what we get for being early adopters lol.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Woot.com has the Next E thermostat on sale today for $109 vs. $169. Not as tricked out as the standard Nest, but does support Google and Alexa.

https://www.woot.com/offers/nest-thermostat-e

I put in Ecobee thermostats in my main floor and upstairs. Going to throw one of these in our basement and give it a try.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Woot.com has the Next E thermostat on sale today for $109 vs. $169. Not as tricked out as the standard Nest, but does support Google and Alexa.

https://www.woot.com/offers/nest-thermostat-e

I put in Ecobee thermostats in my main floor and upstairs. Going to throw one of these in our basement and give it a try.
Quick call out that Nest is NOT HomeKit compatible... if you are using HomeKit with your Ecobees.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Wow, this thread has mushroomed! I did my one and only casita switch behind the tv cabinet and control it with the remote switch. The cabinet lights are plugged into the casita plug and the switch then controls them like a lamp, remotely.

But, also along the lines of automation is WiFi. I have the RV and main barn. Our WiFi was spotty outside the house. We have 5 acres and I don’t want to have it reach that far, but to the garage, and barns is nice. My fiber optics combo modem/router wasn’t even allowing us to stream without buffering. I had called the ISP several times and they came out and changed router. And it showed good speed st the router. That’s where they washed their hands of it. So, in asking about how to cute this issue, a “mesh” network was mentioned to me at Best Buy. I ended up buying the Netgear, Orbi and satellite. It worked so well that I took it back and traded it for the Orbi and two Orbi satellites. I also purchased the twin Powerline pack. I was able to “passthru” my modem/router and hot use the router. I then connected from that router to the power line via Ethernet cable. Using my existing wiring in the house, you plug in the twin Powerline where you want your router, which was different than where the ISP placed theirs. Then connect via Ethernet cable from the twin to the Orbi router. I placed this router in a window in my garage, about 30’ from my barns. Then I placed a satellite in the barn, and a satellite in my main great room up high, and connected that satellite via Ethernet cable direct to the 4K tv. I can now stream easily at all TVs, and no buffering! And, when I’m in the barn working g on projects or wanting to see a YouTube “how to”, I can! And I have two layers of security added to the ISP security on their router. We’re adding cameras next to the one we already have.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@txav8r nice!
I was looking at these orbi satellites because my wifi drops pretty bad in my back pool area.
I then upgraded my router and moved my router to a more center location which helped
When you do a passthru does that act like 1 router or 1 access point? important for me to share devices on a local network - printer and share files

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It all will work like it does now for you @Benny Sibbitt . You will set the router you have to turn off it’s WiFi feature and it will just pass thru. The hassle will be that you have a username and password for the Orbi, as you do your router now. But you won’t ise that after you log everything in to recognize your network and establish the Orbi. What I am learning, is that the higher the better as far as placement. You might move your existing router to the second story and solve your issues, but maybe not since you want to reach the pool area. I downloaded the app and had issues with it. So I just called netgear and let them help me. Then it was easy. If you have many devices on your network, you may want to plug in your TVs is located near the satellite or router, that will lock them in lrimary I front of WiFi traffic, without a speed drop on the tv. Hope this helps. My terminology may not be correct.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
7C94F360-2430-4942-B4B4-E9681E60F866.jpeg 0D25D495-5AA9-4C60-A44C-70AF3633E8C4.jpeg
I am such a tech nerd.... all downstairs lights are now voice command, 1 command and shut all lights and tv off from any room

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm still slowly putting in Lutron Caseta lights and fan controls throughout the house. I love that I can not only control them by voice ("turn on/off all the outside lights" "Turn on/off all the downstairs lights"), but I've also added strategically placed master switches that have similar functions (switch entering the master bedroom that turns on all the lights).

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That looks great, Benny.

Picked up a couple fire tablets on a slickdeal a while back. Playing around with Action Tiles to setup a control panel. Seems neat so far, and nice to be able to have security camera feed up on a screen.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm waiting for this company to release their Z-Wave device. I'd love to put, at minimum, room darkener shades in the bedroom. Our windows face east, so I'm up at the asscrack of dawn everyday whether I want to or not. But I'm too lazy to open/close them every day.... so I just get up.

https://www.teptron.com/page/movez-overview

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We have motorized front windshield day and night shades @Julian , in the Coach. And we want them in our master bath. I want blackout shades, equivalent to night shades in the coach, in the bedroom. For another two years, 8 months, and 28ish days anyway.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Anyone bought any motorized blinds that are home automation compatible?
I have been afraid to look at the cost. What I really want is motorized hurricane shutters. This could condense a day worth of work into just a command, as a plus it would keep the house very cool while at work.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone used the Smart Switches by Martin Jerry on Amazon? Seems like a cost effective solution with no hub needed. Lots of good reviews🤔

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So, my Dad does high end build outs sometimes for clients in downtown Chicago. One ordered a regular height dishwasher instead of bar height.
I got a nearly $800 dishwasher for $250. Well, I paid him for it anyways, he hasn't had time to bring it over. But it's all connected and can connect to Alexa or Google.
Because you know, after loading it and such, I would hate to have to hit the button before I walk away!
But I would be most interested in having a smart oven and maybe a smart fridge.
Having it control a couple select lights perhaps.
You guys are gonna make me read this whole thread again. Thanks alot.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, my Dad does high end build outs sometimes for clients in downtown Chicago. One ordered a regular height dishwasher instead of bar height.
I got a nearly $800 dishwasher for $250. Well, I paid him for it anyways, he hasn't had time to bring it over. But it's all connected and can connect to Alexa or Google.
Because you know, after loading it and such, I would hate to have to hit the button before I walk away!
But I would be most interested in having a smart oven and maybe a smart fridge.
Having it control a couple select lights perhaps.
You guys are gonna make me read this whole thread again. Thanks alot.
You say smart oven??? Omg....bro! You gotta get a June! She’ll make you a rockstar in the kitchen.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length