• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Horrendous grinding noise

Deuces WIld

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok, I read through the FAQ's and other related posts, thanks to all who share their knowledge to make this forum so awesome! It looks like I want to service the bearings/cap at the same time I pull the pumps for the housings. We are washed out, as usual, for this Memorial weekend, so I'd rather take care of everything all at once before I get going on the water.

I've ordered the following

(2) Solas YFS-HS-155 Stainless Impeller Housing
(2) Island Racing Marine Liquid Pump Grease
Yamalube ACC-MOLDM-GS-10 Molybdenum Disulfide Grease
Loctite 567 Thread Sealant
J-B Weld 31314 Red High Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker and Sealant

Anything else you guys can think of that I need?

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Let me know if you have a hard time pulling the housings off the boat, I'll show you what the pulled I use looks like. Some times they will break loose by using a 2x4 about4 ft long use it for leverage and pry on ether side back and forth, other wise its a 8 pound slide hammer with large vise grips attached to the end.

Deuces WIld

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Tom V
I can't quite picture your slide hammer with a vice grip, can you elaborate or share a photo? Also, how much abuse can the cast aluminum jet housings take before they split/crack?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Deuces WIld so you looked inside the pumps and saw wear/contact marks? I ask because when my boat had fouled plugs, I was convinced the pump was rubbing because of all the strange noises it was making...and it ended up just being plugs. I even had my pumps off (which for me was very easy...no leverage needed, they came right off) and was spinning the impeller freely and with no contact or even close.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Deuces WIld so you looked inside the pumps and saw wear/contact marks? I ask because when my boat had fouled plugs, I was convinced the pump was rubbing because of all the strange noises it was making...and it ended up just being plugs. I even had my pumps off (which for me was very easy...no leverage needed, they came right off) and was spinning the impeller freely and with no contact or even close.
If you guys are running in mainly fresh water, then you shouldn't have liner issues for a very long time, its the salt environment that kills them. I'll dig out the pump puller from my truck tomorrow and clip a pic of it then post for you guys to see. Also the salt water makes taking the pumps apart more difficult, everything seems to stick together from salt.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had been running my old 190 with plastic inserts and kind of liked them. I didn't see any difference in performance, but the boat runs a bit more quiet, which is nice. I got mine from Impros. Must buy a special wear ring to use the plastic inserts.
upload_2017-5-30_1-20-43.png

Those plastic inserts/rings do get beat up pretty fast so one needs to replace them once in a while. The inserts are cheap though, only $20 or so. To remove/replace those I had to cut out the old one out. To insert a new one I would put it in the freezer then use a piece of wood and a mallet.

@Tom V You must have had a type of a ring or a batch that was just off. The ones I have used could not possibly spin inside the wear ring. I have shredded a couple of those sucking up some rocks, but there is no way I could spin one. No cavitation either, albeit I like using the L13 cones which help.

--

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had been running my old 190 with plastic inserts and kind of liked them. I didn't see any difference in performance, but the boat runs a bit more quiet, which is nice. I got mine from Impros. Must buy a special wear ring to use the plastic inserts.
View attachment 56748

Those plastic inserts/rings do get beat up pretty fast so one needs to replace them once in a while. The inserts are cheap though, only $20 or so. To remove/replace those I had to cut out the old one out. To insert a new one I would put it in the freezer then use a piece of wood and a mallet.

@Tom V You must have had a type of a ring or a batch that was just off. The ones I have used could not possibly spin inside the wear ring. I have shredded a couple of those sucking up some rocks, but there is no way I could spin one. No cavitation either, albeit I like using the L13 cones which help.

--
WSM products are way better then the SBT products, But I've had issues with both, I'll stick to the SOLAS parts, I've had a few customers purchase the less expensive pump housings and ask me to install them and the answer is sorry but I can't help you, I only want to do the job 1 time, people don't like paying for labor twice. Like I said though I my self use the WSM plastic liner housing assembles in my stand up jet skis with no issues.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some times you may chip the edge of the Stater assemble slightly, its not that big of a deal, this particular ski took some hard slams with the slide hammer to break loose, but you just keep working it back and forth on either side and it breaks loose.

Deuces WIld

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ Tom V. Couldn't find a slide hammer that would thread up with a vise grip. Rented a slide hammer kit from Advance Auto (free after I return it) and used the large lip puller attachment. Love tapped my way gently around the lip on the pump housing. It took me ten minutes, but it broke free without damaging the casting. Used more force on the impeller housing since that was trash anyway.

Attachments

Deuces WIld

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did a little grinding on the impeller too. Going to file this down for now to get back going. Can this be reforged/curved or do I need a new impeller? If so which one? How long can I run this the way it is, urgent or not so urgent?

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Deuces WIld

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@chess, @Cobra Jet Steering LLC... I plan to replace both housings now with SOLAS and be done with this issue for good. I got one side finished last night and the other side will go much faster now that I know the process. I travel way too far from home port on the Chesapeake Bay for an impeller to seize up on the whim of corrosion inside the housing. Thanks though for the Low Budget option, I hope this thread will help others as our boats age. This community is amazing!

Chris84

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New to this forum and to boating, 4-5 years now. We have a 2015 AR240 ever since New after we pull out of the water and boat is on trailer I fire up each engine rev it up to kick out any water left in the engine/exhaust it sounds like gremlins are sword fighting. Not as bad as the video shared previously. Is this normal or is something not aligned properly. When i get it out of winter storage I'll post a video.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Your pump liner is getting some high spots from corrosion and those are making contact with the impeller edges

Chris84

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your pump liner is getting some high spots from corrosion and those are making contact with the impeller edges
It's done it since new so I just assumed it was normal. And now that I've found the holy grail of jet boat info..... thank you is where I'm going with this.