• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to avoid clogging your engine with sand

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this thread is specific to Yamaha and a thread search didn't find any references to Scarab, but in case someone owning a Scarab is concerned then don't be. Scarab uses a self contained closed loop engine cooling system with anti-freeze. On many many occasions I have dragged the sandy bottom and had to power through to get back into sucking clean water. I have never had an engine cooling system filled with sand nor an engine overheating issue. I have many complaints about Scarab boats/trailers but cooling is not one of them.
doesn't the scarab use raw water for the exhaust cooling ?

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
doesn't the scarab use raw water for the exhaust cooling ?
Yes you are correct. For some reason I was only thinking about the internal engine cooling. The exhaust system is cooled via an intake with raw water. Surprisingly I have never had an issue with sand in the exhaust. Boating in the “skinny” waters of southwest Florida I know I have pumped sand through the exhaust. Since I boat in salt water I do flush the exhaust water system afterwards.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes you are correct. For some reason I was only thinking about the internal engine cooling. The exhaust system is cooled via an intake with raw water. Surprisingly I have never had an issue with sand in the exhaust. Boating in the “skinny” waters of southwest Florida I know I have pumped sand through the exhaust. Since I boat in salt water I do flush the exhaust water system afterwards.
There have been examples of Scarabs overheating due to clogged cooling systems.
Both brands are susceptible to this.