• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to get to rope fragments?

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I discovered some pieces of rope wrapped around the impeller shaft stuck in the front part where the shaft goes into that white piece (at least I think it is white). I know I have not ran over a rope so it has to be from the previous owner.

I tried pulling it out with pliers. I was able to get some of it out but still has quiet a bit left. Any suggestions how to get to get access to the front of the impeller shaft? I was going to take the intake grate off but when I started to try and unscrew the allen head bolts they started to strip so I stopped.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You're among friends, you don't have to be embarrassed to say you sucked up a rope :rolleyes:

Anyways, have you taken the shaft/impeller out? I agree with Julian, If not that's going to be the easiest access,
I think those grate bolts are on with some sort of fastener material, I took one off many years ago and I seem to remember it being difficult (although the fuel tank covered could left my memory permanently scarred)

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok I will attempt to take the pump apart. It doesn't look that hard. So just to be clear there is no need to put a gasket making material between the parts on the pump housing?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no, I just had mine apart last month replacing my impellers and bearings, ran it few weeks ago with no problems, many have done the same,

The hardest part for me is the reverse gate attachment, it slides backwards to unhook but hard to grasp/push while pulling it up to remove,

Your impeller/shaft should just slide out backwards, you may have to slightly wiggle it or just apply constant pressure to remove it,

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
no, I just had mine apart last month replacing my impellers and bearings, ran it few weeks ago with no problems, many have done the same,

The hardest part for me is the reverse gate attachment, it slides backwards to unhook but hard to grasp/push while pulling it up to remove,

Your impeller/shaft should just slide out backwards, you may have to slightly wiggle it or just apply constant pressure to remove it,

Thanks for the info.
I installed shut off valves today. I ordered these 1/2 inch valves 1/2 inch seemed way too small for the existing hose. I went ahead and cranked down on the stainless steel hose clamps but worried they might leak. Have you done this mod if so what size valves did you use?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've not installed any valves, I procrastinated so long I'm ok with it now and just bought some hose clamps, there was a lot of talk about the reduction of flow the valves cause and it was questioned whether they were a good idea or not, can't really remember the outcome of that debate,

I wouldn't worry to much about that rope remnants, I've lost a couple of ropes, once it was pulled so tight from the tower you could strum it, really lucky nobody was tangled up in it,

months later, maybe the first time I pulled my pumps out there were still melted pieces up next to that bushing,

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I pulled the pump out and there was a lot of silicone loose in the hole where the shaft goes. Is that normal.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm on the phone so can't type much
No grease is no issue, maybe just put a little on
If it's not leaking water on the engine side i wouldn't worry about the silicone

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would not be concerned about the silicone either. And that is not much rope on the shaft. Slap that thing together and go have fun.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Good job tackling that. It can be nerve racking if you've never pulled anything apart like that before. But, now you have the confidence.