• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to install a fume detector with blower control

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just finished installing a FIREBOY XINTEX MB-1 Gasoline Fume Detector.

Details on why to do this and the Xintex MB-1:
Gasoline fumes in a bilge or engine compartment have the potential to be a serious risk at any time (starting, connecting batteries, etc). The MB-1 provides positive fume detection before trouble can develop. This simple,single channel detector is easily installed and will detect fumes from gasoline, butane, propane, and overcharging batteries. Standard 2" diameter display includes test button and alarm silence. Features a 10 amp relay to automatically start the bilge blower should fumes be detected. Once problem has cleared, blower(s) will automatically shut off. Includes 20' of lead.

Installation difficulty rating (from 1-5 with 5 being the hardest): 1.5. This is a pretty easy install

Tools Required:
-Wire cutters
-Wire crimp
-Drill and drill bit
-Hole Saw (2" or 2 1/16")
-Screw driver
-Fish tape or long stiff wire for pulling wire
-May need a small file for rough edges

Supplies Needed:
-Fume Detector
-16 gauge wire (ideally 4' of red, black and yellow, but one color would work).
-.5 amp fuse holder and fuse
-2 Female wire connectors, although it would have been easier if I'd had 2 of these-

Available at: http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html
http://www.wiringproducts.com/specialty-terminals
-2 "Y" connectors (unless you get the connector above)

-2 1/2"stainless steel screws (to mount the sensor)
-Zip ties (for keeping wiring tidy

How to Install:

1) Open the package and take out and familiarize yourself with the contents and read the directions. My directions are for your guidance. If the manual says something different, go with the manual!

1A) Turn off your battery switch(s)

2) Locate the fume detector and chose a mounting location in your bilge. For my 2005 SX230 I mounted it on the stern wall of the engine compartment high enough to not get splashed by any water that might be in the compartment.

3) Mark the locations to drill the 2 holes to mount the detector and drill the holes with a drill. Match the drill bit to the size of screw you have.

4) Remove the tape from the back of the sensor and stick in place over the holes, and then put the mounting screws in. (you can also just stick it in place and then drill and screw).

5) Plug the connecting wire into the sensor and route the wiring to the helm. I took the wiring across the top back of the engine compartment, along the side and through the hole into the underseat storage area. I then pushed a fish tape from the storage behind the helm to the stern, pulled out the cup holder at the back of the throttle section and reached in to pass the fish tape into the under seat storage area. I then pulled the wire up to the helm. I zip tied the wires along the way to keep them tidy.

6) Locate where you want the fume detector mounted. I chose to put it right in the dash for optimal visibility and audibility (is that a word?).
IMG_2435small.JPG

Once you have chosen your location, drill a hole to mount the display. The directions say a 2 1/16 inch hole, but I only had a 2" hole saw, and it fit in the hole perfectly. If you mount in the location I show, you will need to drill through the dash, and a small part of the behind the dash backing (the light grey stuff in the photo).

Wiring:
7) Reach in from behind and locate the blower rocker switch and squeeze if from top and bottom while pushing out. The switch will pop out. Pull off each of the red wires (note which is connected to the top and bottom), cut off the existing female connectors and if you have the nifty connectors show above, cut each of the two red wires and crimp on the new connectors. Attach a female connector to each of the yellow cables from the sensor and plug it onto the extra post. You will need to extend the wire from the sensor unless your mounting location is right next to the blower switch.

8) Run the black wire from the back of the sensor to a ground block if you have one, or follow the same directions as step 7 for the black wire.

9) Run the red wire from the back of the sensor to the inline fuse holder and then to your positive power source. I had both a ground block and blue sea switch to connect to, so this was a little easier for me. If you don't have this, then you can also tie the positive to the positive line from the battery in step 7. Just follow which red cable goes to the circuit breaker, and know that the other cable goes to the battery.

Test it:

10) Turn on your battery switch and confirm the display lights up the green light.

11) Press the test button and confirm the blower comes on.

12) Take a butane lighter and without striking it (but allowing butane to come out) put the lighter under the sensor. Confirm the blower comes on and the horn sounds.

13) Vacuum up the drilling mess and take a photo to share!

Here is a photo of where I install the fume detector on my 242X (I still haven't connected the blower control):

Last edited:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excellent writetup. This is a feature that should come std in boats. Cam.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should install one of those in the kid's bathroom! They never flip on the fan! :eek:

Nice job Julian...have you popped for the automatic fire extinguisher yet?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was considering the automatic fire extinguisher, but not as high on my list as "prevention" items....I'd rather not have the fire to use a fire extinguisher on!
You make a very good point. Thanks for kicking this to the top.

I took a peek at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Fireboy-Xintex-MB-1-R-FUME-DECTECTOR-BLOWER/dp/B000N9ZVAW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1409757384&sr=8-5&keywords=FIREBOY+XINTEX+MB-1+Gasoline+Fume+Detector

$167.27 w free shipping. Not bad at all.

West Marine wants two Benjamins! :eek:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Fume detector/alarm/blower control and a bilge alarm are still my all time favorite safety mods.....and although the write up looks long and perhaps hard...it is NOT.

http://www.amazon.com/Fireboy-Xintex-Xintex-MB-1-R-Gasoline-Detector/dp/B00JGX13N0

I test this every year....had it go off once while I was filling with fuel....it automatically turns on the blower....I agree with @KXCam22 that these should be standard on all boats! As important as anti-lock brakes and airbags on a car!

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
any thoughts on how to do this on a connext-based boat?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Derek Fosbury
I have my fume detector, but haven't had the boat in my possession long enough to begin investigating this! It won't be hard, I just need to find the power wire to the blower coming out of the Connext. Then you just splice in the fume detector into that line (if I recall correctly) so that it can send power to the blower when the alarm goes off. I likely won't be getting to this anytime soon....probably a fall Mod for me.

I'll write it up once I git'R'Dun

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Makes sense. If I have time this weekend (in doubt, as entertaining on the boat again!) to actually work on the boat, I'll poke around to see what I can find. Sure would be nice to have a wiring diagram!

thanks,
Derek

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Makes sense. If I have time this weekend (in doubt, as entertaining on the boat again!) to actually work on the boat, I'll poke around to see what I can find. Sure would be nice to have a wiring diagram!

thanks,
Derek
I find this an interesting sentiment. Sometimes we like working on our boats as much or more than actually using our boats. Love spending time (any) with my boat!

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
so the guests were a no show, and my son was sick yesterday, so it was just me and the new boat all day! I didn't check out the back of the connext though, as I was busy installing an amp, new speakers, and the storage mode mod on the dvsr

I'm on vacation for a week starting Thursday afternoon so will have lits of time to poke around.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
https://jetboaters.net/threads/making-dvsr-active-with-engines-on-only.9798/

it disables the DVSR while the engines are off, allowing a smart charger to be "smart", i.e., it will see both banks individually and not get messed up the by DVSR, and enables it when the engines are on, allowing the DVSR to control the charging. It's a bit of a pain with how thin the DVSR wire is, and how short the wire is in the engine compartment, but pretty straightforward.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Got my fume detector installed on the 242X....haven't yet wired in the blower control...just the detector and the alarm! I am still convinced that this should be a standard safety device on EVERY boat.

Here is where I installed the alarm and test button. I put the detector at the front of the engine compartment.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Bizywk asked me how I like this fume detector and if I have an update on it since I installed it (actually the 2nd one I've installed).

I love this fume detector. Such a simple device and a simple thing to install to offset a risk.

It works great. For example, over the weekend I was using Gorilla glue to reapply some of the insulation in the bilge area that was falling off. I was spraying into the bilge and the fumes there built up quite a bit. Then all of a sudden, the fume alarm went off....and yes....it should have! I ran the blowers to clear it out.

I've also had the fume alarm go off when fueling......pretty sure that was because there was a gentle breeze blowing gas fumes from the fill hose & vent into the boat. The alarm when off appropriately......I ran the blowers.

The latest model would be FIREBOY XINTEX G-1B:

Or the G-1BB model that includes auto blower relay.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I agree. This should be standard on all boat. I'll be ordering one. Glad this thread was revived. Thanks!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian Was on my list after reading this thread. Just ordered it will be in next week. May was well do it while I am running wires every where.